Advice on buying a decent road bike (£4000+)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nhedden

I currently have a specialized roubaix comp 2008, but looking for something a bit lighter & faster. It also has to be comfortable over a good distance too.
So far I've considered the roubaix SL2, the trek madone 6.5, the wilier centro 1 & a few others.
Anybody got any views on a fast, light & comfortable bikes between the £4000- £5000 price tag?

At that price there is not much in it you have a choice of the best or er the best! it is just what brand you like/LBS the best!

gavintc

Guru
If you have a good budget, I seriously recommend you consider speccing it yourself. When you buy an 'off the peg' bike, there are always corners cut to save a few pounds. Get a frame, consider whether you want Campag or Shimano whether top end 11sp Record or 'just' Dura ace. The beauty of this option, you get to know every component from the BB to the handlebar. A bike is not a car, but a group of carefully selected components.

Secondly, if you really have £4-5K to spend and are a cyclist, you will already know what you really really desire.

Saving? What is this please?

Abitrary

why don't you spend 1,500 on a bike, and put the rest into equities while the market is at the bottom.

In 5 years you will be able to afford a 20k bike.

Abitrary said:
put the rest into equities while the market is at the bottom.

You're calling the bottom of the market? We have way further to go. Buy your equity funds in 2010 when the FTSE hits 2500.

I'd get the Storck if I had £6k, but I'd always be worrying it was going to snap or something, 5kgs ain't natural.

gratts

Spend £2k on an awesome bike, give £2-3k to me and each time you ride the bike it'll give you a warm glowing feel of generosity, blocking out the slight niggles that plague your new bike. :tongue:

What are you doing with it that will make you want to blow 4k on doing it a few seconds faster? I can see it if you are qualifying for the olympics or something but beyond that any gain is down to the kit not the rider so what is the point?

Top Bottom