Advice on buying a decent road bike (£4000+)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

peanut

nhedden said:
I currently have a specialized roubaix comp 2008, but looking for something a bit lighter & faster. It also has to be comfortable over a good distance too.
So far I've considered the roubaix SL2, the trek madone 6.5, the wilier centro 1 & a few others.
Anybody got any views on a fast, light & comfortable bikes between the £4000- £5000 price tag?

you may not be able to afford it but the Porsche or Mercedes might be worth a look . :wacko:

seriously if you've got that sort of money to throw away around then I would get a top frame builder to make me one made to measure.maybe Burrows

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Rourke 953 custom, Super Record 11, Fulcrum Racing Zeros...£4k would cover it !!

Will1985

Über Member
Split the money, spend half on a bike and the other half on a powermeter, coaching and some awesome kit (thinking Assos lycra and SIDI shoes).

Will1985 said:
Split the money, spend half on a bike and the other half on a powermeter, coaching and some awesome kit (thinking Assos lycra and SIDI shoes).

Best possible advice, a coach thats worth getting will cost less a year than a mid level race bike but they will give you more speed, endurance and ability than any £4k bike can, unless of course you have more money than sense in which case a fool and their money are easily separated

FFS people. The OP is perfectly entitled to spend £4K on a bike without the sort of snide remarks displayed above. He doesn't need to race it to justify the purchase either, nor employ a coach. He can ride it in jeans and flip flops if he so desires. All he has to do is enjoy it.

I've a couple of £3K bikes and a Speedy. I don't race and never will, I'm not even fast. I just love building, owning and riding very nice bikes. And that's all the justification I need.

woohoo

Veteran
Whatever you decide to buy, buy it soon before the effects of the £'s devaluation against all other major currencies impacts the UK prices. If the full effect of the £'s dismal performance is passed on, you'll be paying +25% to +30% on last year's prices.

Pearson72

What did Lance say "It's not about the bike" I ride a entry level bike and have no problem it cost me £550! Ok people don't look at it but who cares!

Chrisz

Über Member
nhedden said:
I currently have a specialized roubaix comp 2008, but looking for something a bit lighter & faster. It also has to be comfortable over a good distance too.
So far I've considered the roubaix SL2, the trek madone 6.5, the wilier centro 1 & a few others.
Anybody got any views on a fast, light & comfortable bikes between the £4000- £5000 price tag?

So come on then! Don't keep us in suspenders - what did you get?? :evil:

OP
OP
N

nhedden

Chrisz said:
So come on then! Don't keep us in suspenders - what did you get?? :cry:

ok - had a change of plan.
Eventually got a good deal on a 5.5 madone - bought it last week. Will probably spend some extra cash on a good set of wheels for it, and still spend less than I originally intended. I figured the extra money just to save a few hundred grams just wasn't worth it. The 5.5 has great reviews and although I've riden it only a few times, I really like the feel of it.:wacko:

I have no problem at all with someone spending 4k on a bike, I've done that many a time though not on a bike, however the difference is I didn't go on forums trying to look impressive by asking what to buy, I did my research and read reports etc then went and tried things myself, now especially with a bike its what fits and feels right for you not what someone else thinks unless you are looking to buy to impress.

Also if you post a question you will also get different options, nothing wrong with that at all, in fact its helpful as someone could offer something that was not considered, if however others don't like different points of views then maybe they need to put the head back up their own butt

Top Bottom