Advice on riding with a slipped/herniated disc

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

carvertattoo

As above really for the past year I have been unable to ride much distance at all. Tried various different bikes but its all a bit hit and miss and sometimes a massive miss. Just got a Mike Burrows wind cheetah trike in the hope that that might be the thing that allows me to ride properly but no I was in agony after a couple of miles.
Anyone had any similar experiences or suggestions other than just don't ride till its healed?

S-Express

Which disc? Either way, a recumbent trike is probably going to make things worse, not better. Complete abstinence is usually the most sensible advice with a disc rupture, otherwise you will never recover.

Sharky

Guru
Over the years, I've broken a few bones - ankle, collar, pelvis, ribs etc and each time, I used an indoor turbo until I felt able to venture outside. Just have to be patient until recovery.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I prolapsed a couple of discs and ended up in surgery. I actually found that cycling relieved the symptoms. My consultant was happy for me to cycle both pre and post op.

I had a herniated disc (L 4/5) last autumn and needed about 8-10 sessions with my chiropractor to sort it out.

The pain I experienced for two weeks after it happened convinced me (not difficult) that it needed to be right before undertaking strenuous exercise/activity.

My advice would be to see a chiropractor (or similar) so that you get the treatment needed for a full recovery.

OP
OP
C

carvertattoo

Its L5/S1 thats the issue according to the MRI report. disc herniation with an annular tear.
Have had physio but that offered no relief just made me more flexible. The pyshio said cycling was ok if no pain and my GP agreed but I am getting pain after 10miles maybe. When pre back issues I have done up to 100miles fixed gear with no issues and further geared.
Guessing that complete abstinence might wind up being the best option then after reading some replies

Last edited:
Top Bottom