Advice on Tubeless Tyres, please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
.......7 bar in the morning.

I run tubeless Continental GP 5000 on carbon wheels. 7 bar is very high. I run at 5.5 which some would consider high.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Tubeless always runs at lower pressure than tubed for same Size/type tyre. That is the beauty off them. I’ve experienced the flaff setting them up but once they are sorted , it’s great. I reckon though they are more suited to bigger volume tyres. I’d imagine road tyres such as a 25c tyre would lose lots of pressure quickly if holed before the sealant did its job.

OP
OP
CharlieB

CharlieB

Junior Walker and the Allstars
7 bar :ohmy: is that just to see if they hold pressure, what size tyres ? one of the attractions of tubeless is the ability to run lower pressures for comfort.
I run tubeless Continental GP 5000 on carbon wheels. 7 bar is very high. I run at 5.5 which some would consider high.
…it's wot it said on the tyres as max. (Mavic Yksium Elite 25). The Vittoria Rubinos on one of my other bikes run at 10!

Venod

Eh up
…it's wot it said on the tyres as max. (Mavic Yksium Elite 25). The Vittoria Rubinos on one of my other bikes run at 10!
I used to run 25s with tubes about 80psi, I run 30mm tubeless at 60 psi, I would try 25mm at 70 psi, I weigh 12.5 stones.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
As @ColinJ said this is the maximum recommended pressure. I've never heard anyone speak of using 10 bar (145psi). Most people I ride with would be below 7 (100) and in the region of 5.5-6.0 (80-90).

I've recently dropped from 105 psi to 85 on my tubeless Contis. Much more comfortable and no noticeable difference in pace or performance.

screenman

Legendary Member
So say a tubeless will not seal at 100psi but will at 60psi, that will do me, tubeless punctures are often not as fast going down as tubed one's. See how I see it is somewhere between 100 and zero is the point that the sealant will do its job, most thorns I have pulled out of a tubeless tyre is 14, none made me stop riding, tubed they most likely would have. Just my view after many years of using tubeless.

bridgy

Legendary Member
Thank you all. Most helpful to an ignoramus.
Wheels and glop installed with very little issue (nothing on Mavic website to suggest amount), but 35ml as read from Trek site used. It's really stinky, isn't it?
Tyres pumped - let's see if they're still 7bar in the morning.
We'll cross the bridge of changing tyres when we get to it, and then I'll be back for suggestions.
Cheers again, C
@CharlieB - https://road.cc/content/feature/how-do-you-choose-right-tubeless-tyre-pressure-268427

Top Bottom