Advice on Tubeless Tyres, please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
CharlieB

CharlieB

Junior Walker and the Allstars
So say a tubeless will not seal at 100psi but will at 60psi, that will do me, tubeless punctures are often not as fast going down as tubed one's. See how I see it is somewhere between 100 and zero is the point that the sealant will do its job, most thorns I have pulled out of a tubeless tyre is 14, none made me stop riding, tubed they most likely would have. Just my view after many years of using tubeless.
Thank you all again - as I said in the OP, this tech. is all new to me, but as @PaulSB has also alluded to above, years of FNRttCs in all weathers has taught me the value of high pressures in helping to reduce the risk of punctures. I guess what you learn early on stays with you.

But all points noted and I'll try some alternative pressures to see how it goes. Taking it out for a test spin later today.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CharlieB

CharlieB

Hello @CharlieB !! Hope you're doing OK.

I don't know anything about tubeless tyres.
Me neither. But hello Charlie!

Hello both! - I'm OK. Hope you're both working hard/enjoying retirement and keeping well.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Thank you all again - as I said in the OP, this tech. is all new to me, but as @PaulSB has also alluded to above, years of FNRttCs in all weathers has taught me the value of high pressures in helping to reduce the risk of punctures. I guess what you learn early on stays with you.

Exactly and trying to learn new tricks is difficult, especially when like me you're 66!!!!!

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
has taught me the value of high pressures in helping to reduce the risk of punctures

That's a controversial one.

Pressure in the tyre will not alter the resistance of the tyre material to breaching by a sharp object - that must be true.

High pressure will make pinch punctures less likely, and I suppose on a night ride you might be more likely to crash into a pothole.

My tubeless experience is limited to podgy balloon tyres - Schwalbe Moto X which are 2.4" wide and have relatively deep side walls.

I ran new ones tubed and was getting punctures fairly regularly.

I bought another new pair to set up tubeless, which did involve some initial faff.

No ride stopping punctures since - a big benefit with a lumpy ebike.

I have seen several small spots of sealant in the tread, so there's no doubt it is doing its job.

Tubeless tyres are harder to remove, but that's only due to the 'tubeless ready' rim - a rim with a bed shaped to grip the tyre firmly.

Put another way, the tyre will be equally hard to remove if you are running tubes on tubeless ready rims.

Lots of bikes now come with tubeless ready rims, particularly road bikes above budget level.

I carry a short piece of wood to apply downward pressure on the sidewall to push the tyre off the rim.

In the house, the handle of a hammer is ideal for the job.

Not had to use either since going tubeless.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Have to say my Panaracer GK tubeless tyres are a easy to take off and on, that has been on two different rims as well. Don`t think I could say the same for some skinny road tyres though.

OP
OP
CharlieB

CharlieB

So three lumpy rides done.
Difficult to evaluate the merit of tubeless alone as these came with new wheels, but I can say comfort is substantially better.
As for pressures, tried a range of three within that marked on the tyres and it felt a lot more secure on some of the fast descents I have locally at the top end of the scale.
So I’m sticking with 102psi/7bar.
Thank you all for the valuable input. C

mitchp

Hi all, hope it is ok to jump on this thread as it has good info and I too am very new to tubeless and have a couple of queries, which I'd welcome your expertise on please. I ride a Giant road bike and it has tubeless as standard. When replacing/topping up the liquid recently there was loads of dried gluey stuff on both the tyre and the rim, which I spent an age in removing as i assumed this was necessary. Do you need to remove and clean off this stuff or is it ok to leave as is?
Also, I had a puncture which the liquid did not fix so I used a tube, which is still in place. Should I leave it there or see if I can repair and retrurn to tubeless. What's best?
Thanks all.

Scottish Scrutineer

Über Member
Also, I had a puncture which the liquid did not fix so I used a tube, which is still in place. Should I leave it there or see if I can repair and return to tubeless. What's best?
Thanks all.
You should be able to patch the hole if it is not too large. See the link above to Martin Borg's website with advice about tubeless. I'm sure there's information on it about repairs.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Stan's Darts work well in my experience. In the 18 months or so that I 've been running tubeless, I haven't had to fit a tube. One rear tyre worn out and replaced.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Cleaning the dried sealant is not necessary - I've never done it in three or four years of running tubeless.

There's also risk, depending on how enthusiastic you were with the cleaning, of disturbing a plug of sealant which was sealing a hole of which you were unaware.

No problem with leaving an inner tube in for as long as you want to - that wheel is now just the same as all the other wheels you've had with tubes.

Setting it up tubeless again depends on how keen you are to avail yourself of the benefits of being tubeless.

Top Bottom