Advice on Winter Clothing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Distorted Vision
Just went to Sports Direct. I bought a thin fleece full sleeved top, Sondico Base top and Muddyfox Pure Bib Tights Mens. The latter are 3xl but are too small but I bought them anyway as they should fit in a few weeks. Total spent was £51.98 which isn't bad.

vickster

Legendary Member
I should be able to sell it at the end of the winter / spring season on eBay. I anticipate losing weight so it won't fit me next winter.
I wouldn't expect to be able to sell on used cycling shorts for definite...they are worn commando

Also a season on muddy fox may see them well worn and the already thin pad thinner

OP
OP
Distorted Vision
I realised that after posting it Vickster. I'll stick with the cheap junk from Sports Direct until I've reached my target weight.

its been raining everyday so I won't have a chance to go for a bike ride soon. I hate cycling in the rain as I always end up getting sick.

vickster

Legendary Member
I realised that after posting it Vickster. I'll stick with the cheap junk from Sports Direct until I've reached my target weight.

its been raining everyday so I won't have a chance to go for a bike ride soon. I hate cycling in the rain as I always end up getting sick.
Good strategy especially when it's cold. Can you stick the bike on a turbo trainer on wet days?

OP
OP
Distorted Vision
I workout at the gym every weekday for 3 hours. Cycling is at the weekends. Turbo trainers aren't for me.
Must get back to studying for my CFA exams.

sanddancer

Good strategy especially when it's cold. Can you stick the bike on a turbo trainer on wet days?

Was going to suggest one but you beat me to it. Also I was looking for rider weight limit on these but there isn't much info.

@Distorted Vision
23 miles is a good run.
was you struggling, uncomfortable and wet and miserable ?
The reason I ask is its enough to put people off.
If you was, try shorter enjoyable rides at a leisurely pace.
If the weather turns nasty you haven't got far to return and at least you are getting out and hopefully enjoying it .

I lost 2 stone to get to a weight I feel comfortable with and I feel much better and am noticeably faster for it.
I treated myself to a road bike over a year ago having been off cigarettes for over a year.
also I was involved in an accident which caused me to suffer severe back pain and one physio recommended cycling to build my core strength (its worked )

as @OskarTennisChampion said in an earlier post its easy to put things off and I started missing rides for weeks on end and piling pounds on, some back pain returned along with constant uncomfortable acid reflux.
I went on a bit of a diet for the first time in my life and did the odd ride and started commuting (not every shift)
its quite addictive and some days I don't ride to work I feel quite annoyed with myself :biggrin:

everyone is different so do what you can and what your comfortable with but as long as you do a bit fairly regularly you will notice a difference. As long as you enjoy it then hopefully you will carry on and reep the benefits come spring.

sorry to go on a bit but your obviously still keen after a bad experience so I thought I would offer some encouragement ;)

OP
OP
Distorted Vision
No I felt exhilarated after completing a 23 mile bike ride. I didn't think I could achieve such a fete. My attire was just unsuitable. I'm planning on cycling over Christmas with the new gear. I'll wear jogger pants along with everything else this time.

One thing I noticed was that some drivers have little consideration for cyclists. I never noticed this before as a motorist. But people flashed their lights at me because of the brightness of my headlights. My lights are bright but nowhere near as eg a motorbike so what's their problem?

13 rider

Guru
No I felt exhilarated after completing a 23 mile bike ride. I didn't think I could achieve such a fete. My attire was just unsuitable. I'm planning on cycling over Christmas with the new gear. I'll wear jogger pants along with everything else this time.

One thing I noticed was that some drivers have little consideration for cyclists. I never noticed this before as a motorist. But people flashed their lights at me because of the brightness of my headlights. My lights are bright but nowhere near as eg a motorbike so what's their problem?
Good effort . perhaps your light needs pointing a bit more downward as not to dazzle drivers . As your confidence grows you are less bothered by traffic . Just keeping riding and importantly enjoying riding

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member

23 miles is a great effort and you'll really start to build the miles up as you progress - you're not far off your first metric half century already (50km / 31.07 miles). :okay:
As @13 rider says, just check the aim of your headlight - some bike lights have a pretty wide beam which can be very dazzling.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
But people flashed their lights at me because of the brightness of my headlights.

As some one else has pointed out. Lower the beam of your lights to the road in front of your rather then straight ahead. If cars are flashing/beeping at you because of your lights then you are blinding them which is not only highly anti social, it's downright dangerous. If it's an annoyance to car drivers then it's going to be an annoyance to others, other cyclists etc.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
A very overweight lady friend of mine, swears by Damart for baselayers. She says that they do very big sizes and they are as warm as warm can be.
I can often be seen out on my bike with a fleece on instead of a cycling jacket or top. Warmth is good, don't over think the 'I must have cycling stuff on when riding'. It's not law and you can't be arrested for riding a bike in non cycling clothes.
Good pair of padded shorts and regular stuff over the top is just fine :okay:

sanddancer

One light i have is a cree and came with a plain lens. I bought a propper lens from the USA to spread the beam and i have the rubber o ring atached type lights so i can adjust them to dip along lit roads And readjust whilst riding.

there are plenty of oncoming cyclists that blind me along the pitch black river bank during my commutes.
put your front light on then walk away from your bike and see how it shines

Top Bottom