Advice please. Short cycle trip west coast Ireland.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Planning such a trip, travelling light credit card stylee, about a week long, Summer 2020. Ferry from Holyhead and taking own bike. Aiming 60-80 miles per day.

Imagine the Wild Atlantic Way will be a good basis but: Where to start from and how to get there? Where to aim for and how to get back? What are 'must see/do's'? Good accom tips (happy with B&Bs, hotels or hostels)? Any 'best times' to visit/avoid?

Other advice much appreciated.

Ta

Heigue'r

Veteran
If you end up anywhere around Kerry,Id highly recomend a trip out and over Conor pass and down into dingle town,from there on and around Slea head.A nice daytrip,I would base myself around tralee for a starting point for this one or try and book accomadation in killarney the night before and book something around dingle town for the night after,both dingle and killarney are mighty spots with a great atmosphere,Tralee not so.There are also several routes/loops out of killarney that are spectacular.Another one is the Ring of Kerry,Ive done it myself in a day however if you are touring,Id take at least 2 days to do it and enjoy it...

https://anoige.ie/ring-of-kerry-vs-dingle-peninsula/

I'd look for and read the journals of that area over on on the likes of "Crazy Guy on a Bike".
That will give you a lot more info on what, where, when and how than I can give.

Luck ........... :biggrin:

classic33

Leg End Member
From the "Ireland" tag at the top of the page, under the thread title.
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/the-great-western-greenway.168647/

The motorway has taken a fair amount of the traffic, leaving quieter roads elsewhere.

IF, you are planning on using the train, you could get off at Birdhill and cycle westwards. Along Co. Clare's east coast. Oldest oak in Ireland is in Raheen Woods alongside the road. Then hang a right on the triangular roundabout, and head for Scarriff. But have a bite to eat at Nuala's in Tuamgraney. On departing Nuala's you have the oldest church in Ireland, on the road you've just come down.

You've to go round the roundabout again anyway.

You can then decide left or right. Left will take you onto Ennis, via Bodyke and Spancilhill. Right, you'll be headed for Scarriff. Stay on the right road and you'll be headed for Mountshannon and the Lough Derg Way.

Last edited:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
The Wild Atlantic Way Audax and Transatlantic Way Race take part in June 2020. So depending on your view maybe a good time to be there or not.

classic33

Leg End Member
Should you go to Tuamgraney - Scarriff, keep your eyes open for the local law enforcement...
20482666_1962058104064103_3010855766228729856_n.jpg

tyred

Legendary Member
Personally I'd take the train from Dublin to Sligo. The roads will be less busy that in Cork, Kerry or Galway in Summer (and accommodation, food etc usually cheaper) and the scenery is stunning too if you go to the right places. There is some amazing cycling routes inland around Sligo, Leitrim and into Fermanagh or go along the coast.

Northwards from Sligo towards Donegal town, around the Glen Peninsula via St. John's Point, Muckross Head and into Glencolumbkille - then north over the Glengesh pass and through Ardara, Dungloe, Bloody Foreland, Horn Head, Melmore Head, Fanad Head, you can't go wrong. There will be no rail service to take you back to Dublin from up here but Bus Eireann will carry a full sized bike on a bus if there is space in the luggage hold. There is technically a €10 surcharge for transporting a bike but most bus drivers don't bother to add it on.

Or else go westward from Sligo along the coast towards Ballina and to Belmullet, Westport, Achill Island, Clifden.

For accommodation, I could recommend the Surf n' Stay hostel in Strandhill (a few miles out of Sligo city and the nest seaside resort in Ireland(IMO)) or Harbour House Hostel in Sligo itself. Kilcommon Lodge in Pullathomas is a beautiful place to stay. The Doey Hostel in Glencolumbkille is utterly weird but beautiful in a quirky way (but old fashioned and basic), as is Tra na Rossan Hostel at Melmore Head. The Valley Hostel on Achill Island is also good (a pub, restaurant and hostel all in the one building - what a great idea :smile: )

I have cycled the whole west coast (and south and north coast) in bits and pieces over the past three years or so and have written about it in my blog. Have a look at it if you like and if want more info on anything feel free to ask - https://theoldbikeshome.wordpress.com/

We caught train over to Cork from Dublin then cycled all the way up to Killarney - some brilliant scenery and mostly quiet roads & some great little hostels too

This would be a great week of riding. Cork to Kinsale, then along the coast to Bantry and the Beara peninsular before heading to Kenmare and Killarney.

As others have said there are lots of write-ups on CrazyGuy.

This is also a good source of inspiration, and the route descriptions are spot on.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cycle-Tour...ng+in+ireland&qid=1565385860&s=gateway&sr=8-1

Top Bottom