The Great Western Greenway

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
magnificent views in the West of Ireland
slide111.jpg

The Greenway traverses Ireland’s Atlantic coast between Westport town and Achill Island and visits the picturesque villages of Newport and Mulranny (Mallaranny). It passes by some of the West of Ireland’s most dramatic mountains and offers magnificent views of Clew Bay and its many islands.

Twinks

Über Member
Wow looks stunning. Thanks for posting.^_^

Broadside

Guru
magnificent views in the West of Ireland

The Greenway traverses Ireland’s Atlantic coast between Westport town and Achill Island and visits the picturesque villages of Newport and Mulranny (Mallaranny). It passes by some of the West of Ireland’s most dramatic mountains and offers magnificent views of Clew Bay and its many islands.

It has apparently done great things for Newport and is very widely supported by the locals, my dad is from Newport so lots of those locals are family. Though I have no experience of it myself there is a good bike hire shop in the town since the Greenway opened. I plan to get over and ride it on my next trip to Newport.

Zofo58

I doubt that. These visiting groups will drive there, after all.
No it's not an epic trip distance wise, but if you need to do epic distances the world is a big place. I met several groups between 15yrs and 25yrs out cycling, one group of Scouts up to 30 in number. This is Epic in my view, that it will get younger people interested in exploring on a bicycle.

Attachments

• IMG_1269.JPG
    IMG_1269.JPG
    96.5 KB · Views: 59
OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
It seemed a long way to me when I was in the car as a kid, "are we there yet"
Used to make regular trips between Co. Clares' East Coast and Co. Mayo.
I'd have to admit to similar questions being asked. Done the same trip on two wheels a few times as well, since then.

I recall it being tarmac and the fresh tarmac being in better condition than the road was, but it is 4 years since I did it and the only reference to the surface that I made in my journal was that it was better than the road! But I am pretty certain it was tarmac and certainly all the photos on their website show it as tarmac if you look carefully, but I an tell you that if you are looking for something that you can maintain the same speed on as a road, forget it. There are plenty of gates and barriers from what I recall and the road will certainly be faster. It depends on what you are after. It is not a speedway more a leisureway if you get my drift.

Broadside

Guru
It depends on what you are after. It is not a speedway more a leisureway if you get my drift.

Thanks, that's very helpful. My plan is to take my roadbike for some nice (bumpy) road rides. I am planning on riding on the Greenway with my kids at a very leisurely pace, just wondering if I can get away with a roadbike on the Greenway. Sounds like I probably can

Top Bottom