advice regarding a ribble racer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP

2clepto

thanks jack i did consider the viking a few weeks back, but they got forgotton about. is a viking the best option until i can step above 500?

jack smith

Veteran
For 500 id go with an entry level specialized but if your looking for cheap to get you started under 200 id say they are great

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
If you are going for a bike to audax and use for utility purposes as well as general enjoyment consider the need for guards and rack mounts.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
The Ribble is a far superior bike to the Viking. Nothing against the Vikings per say they are cheap, but they are a tad heavy use very basic components and don't even have integrated shifters.

jack smith

Veteran
The link is the same viking i linked, the ribble has shimano sora which i would class as shimano's 'proper' entry level parts range Its fine for proper road riding on a refular basis on a budget, the viking uses lower down the chain parts but is one of those bikes that will last a lifetime of you look after it, it comes with shifters on top of the bars and is probably easier to get on with if your used to conventional shifters. The viking come in lots of colours but are all pretty much the same, infact you could put shimano sora on a viking bike for under the 400 of the ribble, i personally wouldnt but you could. Id look at second hand bikes with sora tiagra or 105 if i was after the best bike for my money under 500

jack smith

Veteran
Ive had that allez too i was going to suggest it but didnt know if it was over budget, if you get the allez i can personally gaurentee you you wont regret it.

OP
OP

2clepto

thanks jack, much appreciate your advice. especially regarding the gearing. yeah, the allez looks great doesn't it. ive been watching them on ebay for 3 weeks and they always go for strong prices and have many bidders. i think ill wait and save more and go for the allez. unless anyone considers a tourer a better machine to train upon?

400bhp

Guru
Shimano tourney is pretty naff (i think thats whats on the btwin) but every level of groupset changes gear its just gow smooth and fast it does it, if your after it for abit of fun who cares just go for one at the right price you like the look of :smile:
No, it's Sora.

For £329 it's a steal.

jack smith

Veteran
That felt is a bargain! Just checked again on the triban it isnt sora. Infact i might ge tone of those felts in white when my insurance finally pays for my nicked bike

OP
OP

2clepto

looks great the 2013 model. is there much diff in the allez bikes between 13/14?

thanks vickster. the pelt looks really good. is it better than the allez?

would anyone mind at all explaining "sora?"

thanks everyone./ ive got to nip out for an hour ill reply at 10pm.

kind regards.

Top Bottom