advice regarding a ribble racer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jack smith

Veteran
Sora is the name to shimanos groupset Its what i would put as the cheapest decent groupset for road bikes dont go with anything less in my opinion, the felt is thr same kit as the allez and is pretty much the same but at a bargain price personally id go with the felt between the two for the price.

vickster

Legendary Member
I don't like Specialized bikes, so I'd choose the Felt

Differences, with Specialized, quite probably down specced for the same price, different colour

Sora is the 2nd level road groupset from Shimano, 9 speed, 18 gears, STI shifters

OP
OP

2clepto

nice one chaps. ill consider the pelt this evening but it looks great.

should i pay extra and get the bike built or should i go for it? i have a mechanics bike stand and some but not all cycle tools. dont have the tools to take of the rear cassette and suchlike.

vickster

Legendary Member
It's Felt not pelt ;)

Do Merlin not supply the bike built - the one bike I bought online, just had to adjust the handlebars and attach pedals

Edit - cross posted with Jack

OP
OP

2clepto

hehe, 6 bolts jack. im going to go for the pelt you guys have convinced me thanks very much to everyone.

jack smith

Veteran
sorry i was on about the one he linked first the black one didnt have his size :smile:

youve made a good choice with the felt, what colour are you getting? i might get one in white in the next few weeks if my insurance pays as it really is a bargain

OP
OP

2clepto

regarding the allez looking decidedly sexier, will this bother me down the line? will i think im going faster if i dont use a speedo? is it worth another 200? maybe not i think. im getting pedantic but im attracted to cycling for this kind of sliding slope of knowledge.

vickster

Legendary Member
Which Allez is it? Entry level, the components will likely be lower spec than the Felt. Looks like alu versus carbon on the felt (which reduces weight and road buzz) and 2400 claris shifters, fewer gears, heavier than Sora

However, there are Specialized dealers all over so you can buy in a shop, get it set up and a free adjustment service after 6 weeks. The prices are heavily controlled by Specialized so you should pay the same all over

OP
OP

2clepto

yup the btwins really nice too but they have sold out of my size unfortunately.

my rational side knows the pelt is the choice, but does no one have any advice on just going for a tourer and training on that? even though i do fancy the audaxes on the racer because i wont take much gear because ill begin on the food is supplied audaxes.

jack smith

Veteran
you wont enjoy the entry level components as much on the cheapest allez, if you want to make the felt faster and look racier add some touches like coloured bar tape and tyres...we all know if it looks cool its faster its much cheaper that buying the allez, the allez has worse parts for more money for that model :smile:

vickster

Legendary Member
yup the btwins really nice too but they have sold out of my size unfortunately.

my rational side knows the pelt is the choice, but does no one have any advice on just going for a tourer and training on that? even though i do fancy the audaxes on the racer because i wont take much gear because ill begin on the food is supplied audaxes.
You can always add luggage to a road bike if it's just for a day or two

Top Bottom