Advice regarding Shimano SPD pedals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Polite

Über Member
After cycling for 8+ years, I have finally bitten the bullet and purchased some SPD pedals because of all the 'you'll never regret it' type anecdotes I have heard and read and seen.

The ones I have bought are dual purpose so they're also flat on one side so I don't always have to clip in (when doing the shopping for example).

I have bought a cheapish pair of trainers with a recessed sole so I can fit the cleats and see how I get on with them to begin with.

Ideally, I'd like to use them when I go on my North Coast 500 tour of Scotland, in a couple of weeks time, but we'll see how I get on with them first.

My reason for posting is to ask the following advice;

- do you think someone like Evans Cycles would help me do a fitting?
- how best (once the cleats are fitted) do I adjust for my own personal style/pedal action, alone?
- how easy is it to clip out? (I'm terrified but would try on a quite road to begin with).
- are they really worth the effort?
- any other advice, greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
The flat on one side type are a pain. Go flat, or go Spud. Never the twain should meet.

Spuds are great. Run the tension about 1/3 from minimum until you're used to it, then adjust to taste. You really will find proper dual sided spuds a lot easier.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Like Drago, double sided all the way.

If they work for you then they just become second nature. Not clipping in is never an option, never mind popping to the shops, I clip in even just riding to the end of the road!

Getting the right shoes is critical. I use some goretex lined Shimano ones with a Vibram sole. They look quite outdoorsy rather than the typical cyclist shoe and are comfortable enough to wear all day off the bike if needed without looking like a freak.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Fitting cleats to trainers must be some engineering feat! It may give you an idea but proper cycling shoes will have a very stiff sole so will perform rather better.
If you want to do a cycle fit there are plenty of places that offer that facility, don't think Evans do them though.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Just bought a pair of them for my 12yr old. He loves them as they look and feel like trainers.

Only problem we had was that the cleat opening was on the small side which made getting clipped in a bit tricky. I sorted this by taking a grinder to the sole and taking out a row of the grip studs from in front of the cleats :okay:

I swapped my double sided ones for single sided ones so that the wife could ride my bike (the road bike so I could potentially pull the kiddie trailer with bybrid)... I hate the single sided ones - the theory is great but always having to try and catch the right side is annoying - nearly as annoying g as feeling I'm gonna slip off the bike with no clips... And even when you hit the right side sometimes it's just harder to hit the spot to clip straight in..

Anyway, that won't be a problem at first, as said have the spring g strength low to start, when you're used to them tighten them up (all the way) ..

Defo worth the initial mandatory fall off.

Gary E

Veteran
Apart from a bit of trial and error getting clipped in and out they'll soon become second nature.
If you're anything like me when I started using them, the problem with falling off the bike won't come while you're learning as it's probably all you'll be thinking about the whole time! The problem comes when they are second nature and you simply forget you're clipped in, come to a halt and attempt to lift your foot from the pedal rather than clip out. This is usually followed by a slow motion fall to one side or the other while you frantically try to remember (in the half second or so that you'll have) how to get out of the damned things!!
Bit scary at the time but seldom fatal :smile: (it's really funny watching someone else do it though)

Last edited:

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
Go to the pub tonight or for a cheeky lunchtime pint. Whilst you're there hop up onto a bar stool and let your legs relax. Chances are, your feet are not pointing forwards.

Use this knowledge as the basis for the cleat alignment. The cleats want to be pointing forwards but not necessary your feet. SPDs don't offer the most float so a little fiddling with cleats can make a big difference.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Apart from a bit of trial and error getting clipped in and out they'll soon become second nature.
If you're anything like me when I started using them, the problem with falling off the bike won't come while you're learning as it's probably all you'll be thinking about the whole time! The problem comes when they are second nature and you simply forget you're clipped in, come to a halt and attempt to lift your foot from the pedal rather than clip out. This is usually followed by a slow motion fall to one side or the other while you frantically try to remember (in the half second or so that you'll have) how to get out of the damned things!!
Bit scary at the time but seldom fatal :smile: (it's a really funny watching someone else do it though)
It can even happen 20-25 years later :whistle:
What is strange is how you come unclipped in an accident. I have yet to have an off where i haven't seamlessly separated from the bike, and i run my spd pedals at max tension.

Top Bottom