After 22 years, I've cancelled Sky TV and I don't think I'm going to miss it.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
I was going through the mail yesterday and I found a letter from Sky with the new prices from April so I decided to give Sky a ring. I first tried "I want to cancel" waiting time 15+ minutes.... so I gave up after a few minutes.... I then tried "Add something" I was talking to somebody within 2 minutes. I said I wanted to change the package, maybe add something and remove other... after going through a few options I realised there was nothing I wanted to add but I could save £12 by removing the children channels and I'd rather keep those and get rid of other channels but I couldn't find the right combination so I decided to cancel.... put through cancellations after 28 minutes wait, and the lady I got to speak to said "it's such a shame you wish to cancel after 22 years, you are one of our first custumers" I said it would be nice if Sky rewarded loyalty...so she said, lets see what we can do for you BUT after 28 minutes waiting I did not wish to go through the same again so I said the decision is made, please cancel my account.

I think I Will miss Euro Sport but other than that I think we are going to be fine. A bit like brexit ^_^

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Disney+ for the Kids Netflix/Amazon for everything else - still massively cheaper than Sky

raleighnut

Legendary Member
We went from being the only house on the road with a satellite dish to the only house on the road without a satellite dish. A lot of this was due to the house being in one of the first areas to get cable TV/Phone which Maz refused due to her working for BT (staff discount) then Sky installing free dishes to poach customers from what had become Virgin cable.

Gunk

Guru
I’m still a Sky customer and goodness knows why, most of it is regurgitated shite, plus on the regular package you are not allowed to watch any box sets.

Most of the quality dramas We watch are on free catch up so I’m very tempted again after 20 years to call it a day.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Never had Sky TV but did have their broadband until recently, when they added another £2 to the monthly charge, taking it to about £34. I decided I'd had enough of the wee, fly additions to cost that we're not supposed to notice, so cancelled and now going with Vodafone for £20 per month.
My GF has basic Sky and it's utterly worthless. The current lack of sport must be hurting Sky badly. I can't say I have a shred of sympathy for them, and won't miss them if they go under.

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
I'm on virginmedia for TV and broadband (also mobile phone) and I'm seriously thinking of reducing my TV package to the basic one. While reading this thread it occurred to me that I haven't even turned my TV on since Saturday. I have a complimentery sports and movies 1 year free offer at the moment which runs out in June - but with no football now, F1 being a bore (unless you suppost Mercedes) and my complete lack of interest in movies, I won't miss any of that.

On top of that I found out my neighbour gets all that and pays about 60% of what I pay - and I've been with them since they were called CableTel! Loyalty means nothing to Virgin either, its not just Sky.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I'm on virginmedia for TV and broadband (also mobile phone) and I'm seriously thinking of reducing my TV package to the basic one. While reading this thread it occurred to me that I haven't even turned my TV on since Saturday. I have a complimentery sports and movies 1 year free offer at the moment which runs out in June - but with no football now, F1 being a bore (unless you suppost Mercedes) and my complete lack of interest in movies, I won't miss any of that.

On top of that I found out my neighbour gets all that and pays about 60% of what I pay - and I've been with them since they were called CableTel! Loyalty means nothing to Virgin either, its not just Sky.

If you are going to go down the basic passage route. Ditch the TV package completely and change to Freeview. I just have Internet and phone through Virgin now. Freeview has a shed load of channels anyway if I choose to watch TV.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I think I Will miss Euro Sport...
You won't this year - most sport is being cancelled so you would have had to spend your evenings just watching reruns of past sporting events! I haven't bothered renewing my Eurosport Player subscription this year because of that.

If things start to settle down and there is actually some sport to watch by the autumn, keep an eye open on 'Black Friday' - there is usually a special offer Eurosport Player subscription priced only £19.99 for a year.

Top Bottom