Age concerned.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raindog

er.....
If you are over 60 and cycling for pleasure only, do you find that your average speed drops the older you get?:thumbsdown:
I'm 64, and it's not so much that it drops, but I sure as hell can't seem to go any faster these days. ^_^
On a very hilly 60k loop that I like doing, I just cannot average much more than 24kph. I don't worry about it though. I just love being out on the bike as often as I can. What I have noticed with age though, is that if I have a layoff for some reason or other - a lot of work, bad weather, whatever - it gets harder and harder to get back into the rhythm of my normal rides.
Plenty of oldies riding round where I live. Sometimes I pass them, sometimes I get passed, but there's one well known old guy in his seventies who rode pro when he was young, who can blow some of the youngsters away. Got to admire blokes like that!

Hip Priest

Veteran
I'm 33. I did a 30 miler at 19.7mph average yesterday, and I still got overtaken by a lithe old fella on a vintage road bike.

I hope I'm as quick as him in 30 years!

^_^fair enough, electric is cheating, but its is sooo fun when you effortlessly go up a hill that someone younger than you is struggling with!.

Cheating?

I know an rider who was having problems with her shopping. SHe loads both panniers on her bike and cycles the 5 miles home

She was having problems when she was doing hills,

So she bought an electric bike and it has opened a whole new lease of life, allowing her to go further afield and continue shopping.

I think that at 80 this is simply using technology to extend a cycling life rather than cheating

gbb

Legendary Member
Its such a difficult thing to quantify, looking back, at say 45, I put in an enormous effort and upped my average to 18 mph. Eased off maybe 5 years ago and slipped back to 16. This last years been a minor disaster health wise and ive hardly been on the bike all year. Just did a 24 miler at 14.5 average so was moderately happy with that ...at 55 years old.
Two years ago, that would have been a disaster.
The thing that occurs to me, I want to regain some of my old fitness...but remember the effort that's required. It wont come just by pootling about (IMO)..only through hard work. And then I think, even at 55, how long can you keep pushing yourself.
Its my opinion that only hard work will up your speed. I'm already beginning to think, am I getting a bit (Just a bit mind) too old to hope to up it that much again. And then I think, what the hell, im still fit'ish, enjoy what it brings, try hard when I can, take it easy if I need to.

Milo

Guru
The idea that e-bikes are cheating comes from the UK mindset that cycling is purely a form of exercise or sport.

If you think of cycling as a form of transport, then you realise that e-bikes have their place.
I live in a town were if I go shopping with my trailer I may as well be a zebra defecating on a phonebox for all the puzzled looks I get. Same if we take the kiddy out on the trailer. We only own bikes no car household therefore they have to be multi use. If I'm just popping out for a bike ride no one bats an eyelid.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
When I came back to cycling in 2011, my average speed was 13 to 14mph. Two years on, and now close to 63 years of age, my average speed has dropped to 11 to 12 mph. I cycle about 1800 to 2000 miles a year ( leisure only) but at this rate, the older I get, I will cycling no faster than a pedestrian or will my speed stabilise?
If you are over 60 and cycling for pleasure only, do you find that your average speed drops the older you get?:thumbsdown:
Mind you, I went for a 26 miles ride this morning and managed 12.9 average speed so I must have had a good day.:whistle:

Taking different levels of fitness and different physiology out of the equation then yes everyone's performance will deteriorate at some stage in later life. Everything is in decline and will continue to do so until the inevitable happens.

I wouldn't fret about it too much - you seem to be doing ok to me.

I am closing down on 57 now and remember going through a 'mortality thing' in my late 40's. The one that goes: I'm comfortable financially, career stress left behind way back, with the lady I love etc etc but...oh christ I may only have 25 years or so left (now 18-ish based on an average lifespan). Got me down tbh. But a much older gentleman (now deceased) told me his best advice was to embrace every phase of your life and just do the best that you can and relish the pleasures and challenges each phase throws at you. Seems a sensible approach to me.

So....just do your best. Have a health check up as already advised and just crack on.

Its such a difficult thing to quantify, looking back, at say 45, I put in an enormous effort and upped my average to 18 mph. Eased off maybe 5 years ago and slipped back to 16. This last years been a minor disaster health wise and ive hardly been on the bike all year. Just did a 24 miler at 14.5 average so was moderately happy with that ...at 55 years old.
Two years ago, that would have been a disaster.
The thing that occurs to me, I want to regain some of my old fitness...but remember the effort that's required. It wont come just by pootling about (IMO)..only through hard work. And then I think, even at 55, how long can you keep pushing yourself.
Its my opinion that only hard work will up your speed. I'm already beginning to think, am I getting a bit (Just a bit mind) too old to hope to up it that much again. And then I think, what the hell, im still fit'ish, enjoy what it brings, try hard when I can, take it easy if I need to.

Of course you can still push yourself,in these days 55 is not that old.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I average the same speed now as i did ten tears ago but i'm three stone lighter. Maybe if i'd have kept the weight my average speed would have dropped? I keep saying that i'll replace the computer on one of my bikes that tells me my speed and time only,not giving my average speed,but i like the excuse of not having to worry about such things,so i'll probably keep it.

I'm 61 & do around 5k kms annually; each ride between 50 & 120 kms. Average speeed rarely varies from 25 kph (15/16 mph) which is 2 kph less than I was doing 5 years ago, despite getting a better bike, losing 15 kgs, lighter wheels etc.

You have to take road surfaces & terrain into account too, makes a big difference between smooth tarmac & lumpy potholed B roads.

I don't push hard as I've got a shot knee & sciatica but I'd like to keep up with some of the old boys who occasionally hurtle past me!

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
A 10 mile TT is hardly leisure riding but I thought this table from the VTTA might be of interest, what it shows is how the standard time for the distance increases (ie is slower) as the years go by.
http://www.vtta.org.uk/documents/Standards 2013.pdf

That's interesting esp' as the rate of slowing down is slower than I would have thought - there's hope!

Just out of interest what does the term 'standard time for the distance' relate too please?

I ask as at age 56 10m would be covered in a tad over 27 minutes.

Would take me 40 minutes on hilly terrain eg where I live although on long-ish flats (not many up here tbh) I can do around 20-22 easily for a mile or so but have never found anywhere any longer to see how long I could keep it up!

gbb

Legendary Member
Of course you can still push yourself,in these days 55 is not that old.
Oh its true. Im stuck with two things....its not so much the effort thats required that bugs me...its the slower recovery, and TBF, im on the mend from pneumonia and lingering pleurisy so im probably expecting too much too soon.
Add to that, having had most of the year off the bike, im now struggling to find the motivation to push myself as hard as I used to...so perhaps my experience is not typical or a good benchmark.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
That's interesting esp' as the rate of slowing down is slower than I would have thought - there's hope!

Just out of interest what does the term 'standard time for the distance' relate too please?

I ask as at age 56 10m would be covered in a tad over 27 minutes.

Would take me 40 minutes on hilly terrain eg where I live although on long-ish flats (not many up here tbh) I can do around 20-22 easily for a mile or so but have never found anywhere any longer to see how long I could keep it up!

It would be for a typical UK 10 mile TT, i.e. flat out and back. Likely for an average course, i.e. not a superfast dual carriage way course with a gift hill start! BTW, a lot of Vets bitch and moan about those standards.

Top Bottom