Age concerned.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
When I came back to cycling in 2011, my average speed was 13 to 14mph. Two years on, and now close to 63 years of age, my average speed has dropped to 11 to 12 mph. I cycle about 1800 to 2000 miles a year ( leisure only) but at this rate, the older I get, I will cycling no faster than a pedestrian or will my speed stabilise?
If you are over 60 and cycling for pleasure only, do you find that your average speed drops the older you get?:thumbsdown:
Mind you, I went for a 26 miles ride this morning and managed 12.9 average speed so I must have had a good day.:whistle:

Milo

Guru
Im in my mid twenties and that’s my commute average speed roughly. I would not worry about it personally these things are meaningless as long as you are enjoying it.

Ian193

Über Member
You ride faster than me and I'm 17 years younger than you so well done I only managed 10 miles at 8.6 mph average

chriss2.0

i have a few older friends that also cycle, you will find that you will get fitter and be able to travel for longer, but faster always seems to be an issue:rain: .

however i think you can take great pride in the fact that most teenagers and at least 2 ten year olds i know in my neighborhood,cant make the 2 1/2 miles to town and back! :rofl:

one 63 year old engineer i know can hardly get out of his car, and gets out of breath walking around town.:huh:
i would be proud to be as fit as you are at 40 never-mind 60!

chriss2.0

but of you are still worried about speed, maby a difo gearing setup, or a small electric motor kit for your bike.
slicker tiers?
or maby training?

OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
but of you are still worried about speed, maby a difo gearing setup, or a small electric motor kit for your bike.
slicker tiers?
or maby training?
I am not really worried about my speed but I was just wondering if other people of a similar age noticed that fact too. I don't try to keep up with others when they pass me, I just keep going at my own pace. There is no way I would fit an electric motor, that is cheating and defeats the object of cycling. My gear set up is 52/42/30 up front and 11/30 cassette so good enough for most road conditions I think.

chriss2.0

I am not really worried about my speed but I was just wondering if other people of a similar age noticed that fact too. I don't try to keep up with others when they pass me, I just keep going at my own pace. There is no way I would fit an electric motor, that is cheating and defeats the object of cycling. My gear set up is 52/42/30 up front and 11/30 cassette so good enough for most road conditions I think.

^_^fair enough, electric is cheating, but its is sooo fun when you effortlessly go up a hill that someone younger than you is struggling with!.

the odd thing i found with gearing ratios is, that it seems to be highly personal, some bikes others find easy i cant ride for long, but my bike i find just right others can barely use it!,
(i don't like light gears)

but if it works for you then great! :becool: just enjoy the fact that you can whup the mojority of the younguns out there!:hyper:

Saluki

World class procrastinator
My 30 year old neighbour cannot ride all the way around our road (its circular) without stopping (about 200 yards). I think you are doing fine. On a long ride, I average about 12mph and I'm 49. Do you want to ride faster?

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
My speed has dropped off, most noticeably in my late 50s - now 59. In an attempt to slow down the slowing down, I've treated myself to a CF road bike with a ginormous 32-tooth cassette. Big steps between gears but I can spin up most things. Mind, I do smoke and drink too much, so I'm not really doing myself any favours.

I just did 27 flat miles at 12.5mph average. A lot of it was urban riding so lots of lights. That's my excuse anyway.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Different people work out their average speeds in different ways. Most cycle computers stop calculating when you are stopped at lights ,in the cafe or whatever giving you the impression your average speed for the day is more than it really is.

I turned 60 a couple of months ago and on my solo rides on the the mostly flat roads of essex i will average about 16 mph on a 50 mile ride and there is probably a lot of people my age who's average is higher than that.

Age is just a number and i try not to pre-occupy myself with it.:whistle:

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
44 years old & 15mph average riding mainly for leisure and commutes, regardless of it being my big heavy alfine8 700x38 utility bike or 105 double set up 23c roadie, although on the roadie it is far easier and less strenuous, esp on the hills, to roll along, I can whizz along quicker on the roadie if I want, but like to just roll and see the world at a more sedate pace, my brain seems to set my tempo more than my body. I hope in 20 years I'm still riding & at the pace you are over 26 miles.

Not wishing to sound doom and gloom, but if you are concerned by losing pace, have you had a GP check up to be sure there's no underlying cause slowing you down?

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
We are all different. I am almost 66. My average speed on leisure rides is around 13-14mph, distances up to around 70 miles, depending on the route. I have a long history of heart disease - 5 stents, 2 last autumn, (I was a smoker until my mid 40s). I am undoubtably much slower than I was in my teens and 20s, but I don't think I have slowed in the past couple of years, maybe find it tough to get much faster. I take part in group training sessions, and can keep a 18 - 20mph pace in the group over 15 miles or so. I try to average 100 miles a week year round. I ride with others younger than myself who are slower, and others the same age and older (up to mid 70s) who are considerably faster. Just keep at it :thumbsup:!

Top Bottom