Agent Maradona recalled.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
Indeed, but England is overwhelmingly the largest part of the UK and is often used interchangeably by outsiders when referring to the union.

Think Holland and Netherlands.
Do you work in British Airways media department? Link.

postman

Legendary Member
Cheating in football never.We had blokes in the 60's throwing matches for betting syndicates.Divers better than the Olympics,And what about the handball of Thierry Henry.Honestly football sold itself to the Devil decades ago.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
In case anyone on this thread's interested, I just noticed that the documentary about him, which gets a pretty good score and some glowing reviews on IMDB, is on Channel 4, 9.30 tonight.

In case anyone on this thread's interested, I just noticed that the documentary about him, which gets a pretty good score and some glowing reviews on IMDB, is on Channel 4, 9.30 tonight.
Bunch of traitors at C4 - I'll send some paras round to sort them out! Ahem sorry...

Based on the director it should be ace. I watched about 20min (the Naples years) when it was last on. Really interesting stuff about Italian culture and sport, and looked fantastic.
But I couldn't bring myself to watch the rest, knowing that i'd still think he was ultimately a cheat [see my first post for more details!]. Wouldn't have enjoyed it :P

Cheating in football never.We had blokes in the 60's throwing matches for betting syndicates.Divers better than the Olympics,And what about the handball of Thierry Henry.Honestly football sold itself to the Devil decades ago.
So what? So murder is OK cos somone got away with punching someone once?? We can still hold opinions that someone is much worse than average. Life is complex - no kidding; as humans we still form judgements.

(You'd make a hilarious court judge.)

got to agree.
It's not "a beautiful game" to me - very ugly in many ways - long ago sold its soul.
glad I'm not following it now/seen as a punter/mug to be milked by the corporates.

Indeed, but England is overwhelmingly the largest part of the UK and is often used interchangeably by outsiders when referring to the union.

Think Holland and Netherlands.
To the great annoyance of Dutch people who don't live in the Holland part of the Netherlands.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
But I couldn't bring myself to watch the rest, knowing that i'd still think he was ultimately a cheat [see my first post for more details!].
I'm too stupid/lazy to find your first post, but is it 'that goal' that sticks, or was he generally an unusually cheaty player? (I take it as a given that all players in the history of the game have cheated. Apart from Gary Lineker.)

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
(I take it as a given that all players in the history of the game have cheated. Apart from Gary Lineker.)
Except that he admitted to going doing rather too easy and theatrically to win a penalty for England in 1990 when they were in trouble against Cameroon... ^_^

stephec

Legendary Member
I doubt that there's a professional footballer who hasn't ever cheated.

About twenty years ago I used to work with a bloke who played non league for Glossop, and he once said to me, 'as a centre forward you're told to always go down if you get a nudge in the box. '

Dec66

I doubt that there's a professional footballer who hasn't ever cheated.

About twenty years ago I used to work with a bloke who played non league for Glossop, and he once said to me, 'as a centre forward you're told to always go down if you get a nudge in the box. '
Bobby Charlton.

And after that, I'm struggling.

Dec66

I'm too stupid/lazy to find your first post, but is it 'that goal' that sticks, or was he generally an unusually cheaty player? (I take it as a given that all players in the history of the game have cheated. Apart from Gary Lineker.)
Also, thinking on... Maradona wouldn't have got anywhere near the 60s/70s Leeds United sides, he would have been far too honest for Revie's liking.

But it's only Johnny Foreigner who cheats, obviously...

The ultimate irony for Leeds in that era was being cheated out of the 1975 European Cup Final by a referee who'd been bought off, presumably for more money than Manny Cousins could afford.

Top Bottom