Aldi Cycle Stuff - Sunday 3rd May

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

runner

Guru
It was decided that my three year old Aldi softshell jacket needed to be replaced - it is still looking brand new and being worn almost everyday in winter, nothing wrong with it unfortunately - but the clothing industry has come on leaps and bounds in technology in the last three years. In addition, the new material and technology in the jacket would make me so much faster on the bike it would pay for itself.
So after convincing myself - I paid the princely sum of £16 for a new one - plus this one I could zip my arms off it. Took myself off to the bun fight that it Aldi's cycling event - after managing to sidestep the people who are defending the whole display and hearing two blokes both wanting a large and complaining there weren't any. I spotted a large and politely pointed it out to the display hugger - who sneered that it was a ladies - so I dived in and it was indeed a large man's. The hugger and another hugger then promptly asked if they could try it on - both agreeing it fitted them and reluctantly giving it back - with the big bugger..... sorry hugger... then arguing the case that it was rightfully his. With a withering look (previously bought in Aldi's special event) and a disbelieving laugh from the other hugger - the hugger then agree it was mine and offered to buy it off me. I politely declined to much amusement from the other hugger.
Pleased with jacket - looks like excellent VFM - lighter material and slimmer fit.
yes pleased with my jacket as well.....was able to get the only small size in the store and it fitted perfectly (I like it tight fitting so as not to flap in the wind!) Tried out this morning on a windy wet commute and for the great price paid worth every penny. Of course it is not gore tex but then it is not £100 quid plus

Drago

Legendary Member
My face and very long lasting soft shell jacket is from Aldi. I also love their socks, and their cheap mitts are also decent.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Popped back and got 3 more pairs of the MTB socks from last months offer, at £1.49 a pair (half price) and a set of the lights from the current offer - they seem plenty bright enough for my needs (being seen) so look like good value at under a fiver.
My local store (York Rd, Leeds) still has the work stands from last month reduced to £15.99 which is fantastic value.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
10 miles in the bib shorts today and they were very comfortable.

In fact I was pretty much the Aldi cyclist today as I also wore an older winter jersey and a black/white jacket with the sleeves zipped off from a previous sale. The only non-Aldi kit was my shoes.

Hyslop

Veteran
Went into Aldi yesterday,not for the cycling kit as it happens,however I came away with one of the windproof base layers.For the price its not that bad really and given the prevailing weather up here,it shouldnt be too long before I find out how it performs!

NormanD

Lunatic Asylum Escapee
Have Aldi created a torture device in their Bib shorts?, I don't normally wear stuff I buy until it's been washed a few times (to soften it up) I tried on the bib shorts that I bought from there. WTF them leg gripper bits cut off the circulation to the lower legs, I know you get what you pay for, but hell are they tight!!

NormanD

Lunatic Asylum Escapee
I'll be back today.....
for the fushias!

I tried them, they don't improve your cycling, rather than hamper your view :giggle:

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Have Aldi created a torture device in their Bib shorts?, I don't normally wear stuff I buy until it's been washed a few times (to soften it up) I tried on the bib shorts that I bought from there. WTF them leg gripper bits cut off the circulation to the lower legs, I know you get what you pay for, but hell are they tight!!

I got the larger sized ones which are marked 34-36" and am glad I did... they only just fit - but the grippers felt tight at first but were fine in use. My thighs aren't Hoy-like enough, clearly.

ScotiaLass

Guru
Went into Aldi yesterday,not for the cycling kit as it happens,however I came away with one of the windproof base layers.For the price its not that bad really and given the prevailing weather up here,it shouldnt be too long before I find out how it performs!
I got one, it's not bad at all.
I wore it out the other night with only a jacket on top and it was just right

ScotiaLass

Guru
Girlfriend got one of the jackets yesterday great value at £15.99 she likes the idea of the removable sleeves she wore it today and was well impressed she's slowly becoming a proper cyclist as she had us down the store waiting for them to open yesterday.
__o
_(\<._
(_)/ (_)
I got a jacket and tested it out on an 18 miler the other night...in fact I was wearing the shorts too....very comfy, and the windproof base layer was all I had under the jacket.
Me_Kelpies.jpg

Hyslop

Veteran
I got one, it's not bad at all.
I wore it out the other night with only a jacket on top and it was just right
Youre quite right,its not bad at all is it? I had a run out this afternoon,up and down a few hills and along the Solway(I ll give you a wave next time!)and I was impressed.For those of us in windy areas its a bargain! By the way,what are you standing under in your photo?Looks impressive whatever it is.

Top Bottom