Aldi Cycle Stuff - Sunday 3rd May

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Custom24

Über Member
interested to know what people think of the bib shorts ?.
All my cycling shorts and trousers come from Aldi. I have several. Today, I bought two regular shorts and one bib shorts to try out the bibs. Went for a 20 mile ride this evening. They are too tight on the legs, as mentioned above. I am also not a big fan of their new Italian pad, I prefer my other shorts from them. Maybe both issues will improve with a few washes.

Pinch of salt - this is the first time I have worn bibs.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I got a CO2 thingy and some cartridges. Never had one before. Next puncture I have will probably involve me freezing my fingertips off, releasing a greenhouse inducing cloud, before resorting to my trusty pump.

andyfraser

Über Member
Just got back from Aldi. It's a nice ride on fixed and I needed some stuff from Asda nearby so it wouldn't be a wasted trip.

I bought 2 pairs of the fingerless gloves. They seem pretty nice and they fit. I have large hands and have trouble getting gloves that fit properly.

I also bought one of the touring bags. It fits nicely on my road bike and the 2 spanners are ok to carry when I'm on fixed.

Aldi and Asda were fairly quiet so it wasn't a bad trip and the weather was ok too.

Steady

Über Member
My first day rush for Aldi purchases are always "essentials", the rest I always hope will stick around and eventually get reduced in price.

So a set of gloves, oddly enough now in small where as last year's gloves I wore a medium but then I was trying to avoid the pink, nice red in small this year.

And a mtb/race saddle, a bit of a comfort improvement.

Katherine

Guru
It wasn't that busy in Walkden. There were lots of accessories but they didn't have many clothes. I got the only ladies cycling shirt in my size and that was at ten past ten. I also got gloves and underwear. Very glad I went when I did.

I wore my purchases today and everything was very comfortable. The padded knickers were great under plain 3/4 leggings. (36 miles, so a fair trial).

Girlfriend got one of the jackets yesterday great value at £15.99 she likes the idea of the removable sleeves she wore it today and was well impressed she's slowly becoming a proper cyclist as she had us down the store waiting for them to open yesterday.
__o
_(\<._
(_)/ (_)

Last edited:

sanddancer

All my cycling shorts and trousers come from Aldi. I have several. Today, I bought two regular shorts and one bib shorts to try out the bibs. Went for a 20 mile ride this evening. They are too tight on the legs, as mentioned above. I am also not a big fan of their new Italian pad, I prefer my other shorts from them. Maybe both issues will improve with a few washes.

Pinch of salt - this is the first time I have worn bibs.

I only have 1 pair of bib shorts and they are muddy fox. The pad is pretty crap but for £6 and up to 20 miles are ok. I mostly wear longs unless its really hot and none bib shorts/long hardly get used since buying bibs.

saying that I dont get out on the bike anywhere near as much as I'd like.
must try harder :biggrin:

I got a CO2 thingy and some cartridges. Never had one before. Next puncture I have will probably involve me freezing my fingertips off, releasing a greenhouse inducing cloud, before resorting to my trusty pump.
This made me wonder, so I googled it. Apparently cyclists generate about 6g of CO2 per minute, and the cartridges contain only 16 or 25g of CO2, so the amount is negligible.

But of course, the amount of CO2 in manufacturing the single use, steel cartridge is not .... oh, look at that, I just talked myself out of buying a CO2 pump!

NormanD

Lunatic Asylum Escapee
I was in the local store at pelaw today, tons of stuff left, one woman spent £172 on cycling gear (I know this as she was ahead of me being served) I only wanted socks, but bought some bib shorts to try out, oh and the socks :smile:

davefb

Guru
got err loads of stuff...
shoes -> needed racing bike ones. (guess it's spd clips it needs?)
helmet-> red helmet doesnt cut it with the new bike ;)
co2 + cartridges-> for a play...
pump -> to see if finally I can get a small pump that I like.. hmm no, like all other pumps, I just can't get these to easily 'work', is presta just a PITA?
undies->wondered what seamless would be like :smile:
baselayer-> this feels amazing.
"Premium" shirt-> again, this feels great
speedo->fitted easy and unlike most, no faffing with moving the sensor about.
socks,gloves,spex,tool bag->meh cant have enough ;)

this is in bolton, there seemed like loads of stuff left ( apart from only a few shoes). really like the shirt... didn't get chance for a ride :sad:

The Jogger

Legendary Member
I got a pair of pannier bags the small size for commute , a small light lock for the Brompton on the train and a pair of the glasses 20 quid the lot.

al-fresco

Growing older but not up...
I like the soft-shell jacket with removable sleeves. I've done a couple of rides using it as a gilet and it's perfect for this up and down spring weather. 3 rear pockets including a large zipped one (which will take the sleeves) and a chest pocket big enough for a smart phone. If I was intending to do the Dunwich Dynamo this year (and I'm not!) this would definitely be the jacket I'd take with me.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Bought the Co2 pump but nothing else, might go back in for a jersey and my mate tells me the bibs are ok as well but buy cheap buy twice with these IMO.

puffinbilly

Veteran
It was decided that my three year old Aldi softshell jacket needed to be replaced - it is still looking brand new and being worn almost everyday in winter, nothing wrong with it unfortunately - but the clothing industry has come on leaps and bounds in technology in the last three years. In addition, the new material and technology in the jacket would make me so much faster on the bike it would pay for itself.
So after convincing myself - I paid the princely sum of £16 for a new one - plus this one I could zip my arms off it. Took myself off to the bun fight that it Aldi's cycling event - after managing to sidestep the people who are defending the whole display and hearing two blokes both wanting a large and complaining there weren't any. I spotted a large and politely pointed it out to the display hugger - who sneered that it was a ladies - so I dived in and it was indeed a large man's. The hugger and another hugger then promptly asked if they could try it on - both agreeing it fitted them and reluctantly giving it back - with the big bugger..... sorry hugger... then arguing the case that it was rightfully his. With a withering look (previously bought in Aldi's special event) and a disbelieving laugh from the other hugger - the hugger then agree it was mine and offered to buy it off me. I politely declined to much amusement from the other hugger.
Pleased with jacket - looks like excellent VFM - lighter material and slimmer fit.

Top Bottom