Aldi rear camera

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Webbo

Quesh emailed me to say that it would be at the end of last week. Haven't checked yet though.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Tried mine yesterday and it did my head in turning off ! Was going to take back when i get near a Aldi.

Mine is still going strong, touch wood! It seems to have entered a new "phase", it switches off, after about 20 minutes, if you switch it on again, it then records for as long as the ride lasts. Have not yet exhausted the battery. It is also loop recording on a 32GB card.

I have it fixed to the bike with cable ties, and recharge in-situ.

DRHysted

Guru
Can’t fault Aldi. Sent mine back and my card was refunded last week.
Is the fly6 worth the extra £60? I’m not sure. The recordings are grouped in folders by date, the Velcro strap has a rubber backing so the camera doesn’t move, the beeps are quieter which is much better at 4am, it doesn’t switch off on rides (unless you forget to charge it). It feels better made (real difficult one to explain there).

I emailed Quesh yesterday and just got a reply back saying no date yet on the firmware update being available.

Mine kept switching off on a ride yesterday around every 50-60 mins, so about every time the 8GB card would be full, switching it back on started recording again for another 50-60 mins. I have ordered a 64GB card to use instead so hopefully it will stop this issue.
Testing it last night it did switch off after 15 mins of no movement, but this morning is has been sat on my desk pointing at the wall, so no physical or image movement and it has been running for over 2hrs without switching off and happily loop recording. So to me it seems like a software/firmware bug which hopefully the update when available will resolve.

I'm still happy to live with its current quirks to save £60 over the Fly6, which I would have bought the 64GB card for as well so I can have all of the ride available to me.

Adam4868

Guru
Someone who is more tech savvy than me could advise,which 64 card to buy ? Are cheap ones from eBay and like no good ? Sorry useless with technology

Jeff-T

Regular
It looks like the firmware update is available, not sure if anyone has tried it yet:

http://www.quesh.co.uk/products/?product_id=461

Jeff.

Someone who is more tech savvy than me could advise,which 64 card to buy ? Are cheap ones from eBay and like no good ? Sorry useless with technology

Hello, I wouldn't go for a cheap card as it needs to be fast to be able to write the data. I gave ordered this Toshiba class 10 one from amazon for £17.79.
I don't have it yet so can't confirm its the best one to get, but based on specs it should be ok, will update once I have it and have tested it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01EAKAW44/ref=pe_3187911_185740111_TE_item

Hello, just downloaded it and upgraded mine.

The instructions say to copy the downloaded file (79004Update.rar) to the SD card and switch it on for it to update, however this doesn't work as you need to extract the downloaded RAR (compressed file) first using something like 7zip. this will give you a folder called firmware and it is the file in this folder you need to copy to the SD card - JL_AC51.bfu. Then once you switch it on it does illuminate the LED's for about 4-5 secs and upgrade the firmware.
Mine has gone from 17060801_V3 to 171026_V3, which I guess refers to 26 Oct 2017. If you open the VER file with notepad then you can confirm which version you are on.
It will also reset the date/time so that will need to be changed back using the config file.

Mine is now running on the desk so will see how long it stays on for.

Adam4868

Guru
Hello, just downloaded it and upgraded mine.

The instructions say to copy the downloaded file (79004Update.rar) to the SD card and switch it on for it to update, however this doesn't work as you need to extract the downloaded RAR (compressed file) first using something like 7zip. this will give you a folder called firmware and it is the file in this folder you need to copy to the SD card - JL_AC51.bfu. Then once you switch it on it does illuminate the LED's for about 4-5 secs and upgrade the firmware.
Mine has gone from 17060801_V3 to 171026_V3, which I guess refers to 26 Oct 2017. If you open the VER file with notepad then you can confirm which version you are on.
It will also reset the date/time so that will need to be changed back using the config file.

Mine is now running on the desk so will see how long it stays on for.
You lost me after Hello ! Will have a go when a minute...don't hold your breath.

Jeff-T

Regular
...this will give you a folder called firmware and it is the file in this folder you need to copy to the SD card - JL_AC51.bfu. Then once you switch it on it does illuminate the LED's for about 4-5 secs and upgrade the firmware.

Thank you, that saved me a bit of time working out what to do. I didn't have a default extractor for RAR files on my computer, so I downloaded a free one. The version number in my VER file is now 171026_V3, after completing the process, so it will be interesting to see if this fixes the problems.

Cheers, Jeff.

Custom24

Über Member
After firmware upgrade, mine lasted all of my ride home last night (1.5 hours) on the original included SD card. Plus, it now does seem to be loop recording. When I got home, the beginning of the ride was gone, but the part where I arrived home was there. Odd, because card still has 1.5GB free, but I will order a better SD card for it after another couple of test rides.

Thanks @Jeff-T because was actually about to return it to the store when I spotted your post.

Next up is seeing if its daylight performance is any better than the last time I tried it (over-exposed). Also, seeing if I can stop it sliding around on the seat post.

Adam4868

Guru
Mine has suddenly stopped recording,charged fully,4beeps when turn on but only a single red light/dot on it.No revolving light.Any clues ?

Top Bottom