Aldi rear camera

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Adam4868

Guru
Is this after applying the firmware update?

Jeff.
No never even got to that yet !

Adam4868

Guru
Yes thanks Jeff tried it a few times,no joy at monent.Ill have another play tomorrow but looks like something's gone wrong.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Mine has suddenly stopped recording,charged fully,4beeps when turn on but only a single red light/dot on it.No revolving light.Any clues ?

Is this happening when you have connected to computer / USB charger? Beeps, followed by single red light at bottom of light area indicates charging.

Adam4868

Guru
No im not getting anything,even if i reset.There is one solid red light at the top of the camera,above the lens.Tried every which way but no luck.

Latest findings with new firmware:

So after mucking about with mine on Monday morning I upgraded the firmware and starting it recording, it ran for over 10hrs on camera only before the battery died. At no point did it switch off or make any bleeps. It just continually loop recorded. Once the card was full after approx 1hr then every 5 mins the chasing lights round the camera lens would all flash twice as it started a new file on the card and overwrite the oldest file.

I had the unit sat upright, on its side, still, walking round with it and dropping it and none of this seemed to make any difference, it just carried on recording. Reviewing the files afterwards they where all in sequence for the last hour of use, so I would say that it defiantly does not have any form of incident protection, which to be fair it does not claim to have.

I charged it overnight and run another test on Tuesday this time with the lights set to alternating flash pattern on medium brightness. I started it at 11am and it kept running until 8:30pm when it stopped filming (9.5hrs !!!), the lights however carried on until I finally switched it off at 11pm.

After another overnight charge last night I did another test today, this time with the lights on constant and full brightness and this time it ran from 9:45am to 14:10 (4hrs 25 mins) before it stopped recording and the light carried on for another 1hr 20mins.

The only thing I have noticed it that there always seems to be 12 or 13 files on the card (the last hour) with around 2+GB of free space left on the original 8GB card, so not sure why it does not actually fill the card before it starts to overwrite files, will be interesting to see what happens when I put the 64GB card in when that arrives. Will it continue to only write 12/13 files and not use the extra space or will it fill that up to leave 2GB free on that one.

None the less, as it is no longer switching off and has amazing battery life, I do not see any reason to return it.

KArl...

Custom24

Über Member
After another overnight charge last night I did another test today, this time with the lights on constant and full brightness and this time it ran from 9:45am to 14:10 (4hrs 25 mins) before it stopped recording and the light carried on for another 1hr 20mins.

KArl...

Awesome, thanks for posting. I have noticed reviewing the footage that at night, the rear flash does mean you can read car plates that are behind you sometimes, during the flash, so knowing that it lasts a good long while on full brightness means that at night I will use this mode to illuminate them.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Aldi Camera, after firmware update.

Updated firmware on Tuesday, tested today on 20 mile (2 hour) ride. I am using 32GB card (Samsung).

All worked absolutely fine:

no switching off
loop recording
recording quality very good (IMHO)

I was already happy with the product, now that the switching off problem appears to be fixed, thanks to firmware update, I am even more happy.

Sample of video (note in last minute of clip, idiot in VW overtaking us as we signal and take up right turn position):

Last edited:

broady

Veteran
Need to update mine then!
This all sounds very positive though, but I thought it was only compatible with 32gb and not 64gb?

Adam4868

Guru
With stuff like this the fault is often traced to the SD card.
Thanks ! Your not.just a pretty face......took sd card out of sons phone(where else ?) And the camera seems to be working fine again.Why is that ? It was the original card that came with it.Anyway thanks,now for the upgrade,thats going to be a challenge !

Custom24

Über Member
Thanks ! Your not.just a pretty face......took sd card out of sons phone(where else ?) And the camera seems to be working fine again.Why is that ? It was the original card that came with it.Anyway thanks,now for the upgrade,thats going to be a challenge !
Try reformatting the SD card.

Top Bottom