Aldi rear camera

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I once mentioned this type of camera to our in-house police officer.
He said any video footage would be inadmissible in a Scottish court as the camera is disguised as a bike light.
Is he correct?

He's talking shite.

If it were inadmissible in court, it wouldn't be enough to get anyone charged in the first place yet I have had two drivers charged for driving without due consideration by close passing me.

Note also that Operation Close Pass is underway with Police Scotland's road policing unit and they're using the Cycliq Fly6.

D

Deleted member 26715

3 available in Dinnington South Yorks @£29.99 last night anyone desperate for one I can go up & get them, postage at cost recorded delivery

Adam4868

Guru
If this was the case(which it isnt) they wouldnt need to know that the footage came out of a light/camera would they ? Sounds iffy at best.

InchPitch

Regular
answered my own question -

After updating mine to 171026_V3 the previous 15 minute 'inactivity' switch off doesn't work any more and laying it on its side (fall off) doesn't activate the 15 minute switch off either. So maybe the motion detector has been disabled in the new fw.

The file size with the new fw seems slightly smaller - around 500Mb for 5 mins now, previously around 700Mb for 5 mins. The video bandwidth seems to have been slightly reduced and I suppose this gives a slightly longer recording time before looping starts.

Ive not upgraded mine yet but I found that if the unit is started,
- after a while lay the unit on its side - it beeps and the lights flash for a few seconds
- leaving it on its side - it beeps every 5 minutes and the lights flash
- after 15 minutes (still on its side) it beeps, all the lights flash, and it turns off - thus having captured the last 15 mins after it was put on its side.

Does is still do this after the upgrade?

PS - I also put the working unit on its side so it beeped (simulating fall off), then stood it upright and it continued recording and then switched off after 15 minutes.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 26715

Sorry it may have been covered in the 12 previous pages but can it be used without the light being on?

Adam4868

Guru
Sorry it may have been covered in the 12 previous pages but can it be used without the light being on?
Yes I'm pretty sure it can from memory

InchPitch

Regular
^ as above, there is always a circle of LEDs around the camera bit when recording.
The line of flashing lights under the camera can be changed.
Press the light button (the other side to the on-off) briefly to change - > No flashing light > low bright > med bright > max bright
Pressing the on-off briefly will change the line of lights > on all the time > flash pattern 1 > flash pattern 2

bozmandb9

Insert witty title here
I once mentioned this type of camera to our in-house police officer.
He said any video footage would be inadmissible in a Scottish court as the camera is disguised as a bike light.
Is he correct?
How is it disguised? Is an iphone photo also inadmissible, since it's a camera disguised as a phone? Is no video or photographic evidence admissible unless the camera is labelled and only designed for the single purpose of being a camera? Bit of a stupid view, and I suspect completely wrong.

Top Bottom