Aldi rear camera

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Aust71

Had mine out for the first time today. As explained above, yes it does loop.
However, mine turned off by itself after 20 minutes. Beeped 3 times then that was it till I turned it back on again. It was fully charged when I set off, according to Facebook one or two other users havingthe same problem.
Also a bit disappointed with the quality - quite grainy and compressed. Could make out most license plates but not all, and that was midday, dread to think waht it is liek dusk/night time.
I have a fly6 packaged and ready to send back to Wiggle (ordered it just before I found out about the Aldi one). Really not sure now which one to keep/send back...
Anyone else any problems with turning itself off? Is there any way (settings perhaps?) to improve the quality?

Did you have any joy from Wiggle in regards a refund and how quick did they respond as I have the same problem with mine and have sent it back

Did you have any joy from Wiggle in regards a refund and how quick did they respond as I have the same problem with mine and have sent it back
Ended up keeping the Fly 6. However, have sent things back through Wiggle before and found them very good/easy to deal with...

aegis

My Aldi rear camera is dead. RIP.

Before the snow I had a wet ride home with it and when I got home, switched it off as usual. Then about 15 minutes later it switched itself back on and wouldn't switch off. I left it to run down the battery.

The next morning it wouldn't charge at all. The video it recorded on it's last ride and while sat discharging overnight in the kitchen is full of video glitches like an 80's Max Headroom episode.

So, at a guess, water damage though it didn't look like water had got in and I'd certainly ridden with it in worse weather.

Today, I took it back to Aldi and got a refund. At first I was refunded £14.99 as apparently Aldi had reduced these in price but then I pointed out my receipt for £39.99 and got the rest. Good customer service from Aldi but a pity I'm now without a camera.

I'll have to save up for a Fly6 I reckon though not the new CE version. £169 is too rich for me.

gaijintendo

Veteran
My Aldi rear camera is dead. RIP.

Before the snow I had a wet ride home with it and when I got home, switched it off as usual. Then about 15 minutes later it switched itself back on and wouldn't switch off. I left it to run down the battery.

The next morning it wouldn't charge at all. The video it recorded on it's last ride and while sat discharging overnight in the kitchen is full of video glitches like an 80's Max Headroom episode.

So, at a guess, water damage though it didn't look like water had got in and I'd certainly ridden with it in worse weather.

Today, I took it back to Aldi and got a refund. At first I was refunded £14.99 as apparently Aldi had reduced these in price but then I pointed out my receipt for £39.99 and got the rest. Good customer service from Aldi but a pity I'm now without a camera.

I'll have to save up for a Fly6 I reckon though not the new CE version. £169 is too rich for me.

Regular one is £75 @chainreactioncycles minus BC Discount 67.5 and a license to spend another £25 to save some money (I haven't managed to use a CRC BC discount yet)

aegis

Regular one is £75 @chainreactioncycles minus BC Discount 67.5 and a license to spend another £25 to save some money (I haven't managed to use a CRC BC discount yet)

I'm not a BC member, but I'll look out for a discounted older model now that the new version is out. Even £75 seems a bit much given they're essentially £25 action cameras with a £5 light built in.

gaijintendo

Veteran
I'm not a BC member, but I'll look out for a discounted older model now that the new version is out. Even £75 seems a bit much given they're essentially £25 action cameras with a £5 light built in.
You could buy those and some gaffer tape :smile:

They cycliq ones are worth a bit more than their components, because they also seem to come on waterproof containers, which the Aldi one seems to have got slightly wrong.

aegis

They cycliq ones are worth a bit more than their components, because they also seem to come on waterproof containers, which the Aldi one seems to have got slightly wrong.

Cycliq don't claim the Fly 6 is waterproof either. But what they do do is coat the circuit board with a superhydrophobic coating which repels water which should see off water/salt contamination.

daccg

Hi everyone! I'm new to the forum and have joined primarily because of this thread! I ended getting one of these Maxtek Vision HD cameras that Aldi sells. I actually purchased for £9.99 which I think was a steal. Anyway, I've been using it for a few days and actually, I'm really pleased with it! It's got one big downside however... And that is the seat post mount, or the lack of it more specifically. The straps that the camera comes with are a bit rubbish and don't hold the camera well enough. I've read some posts in this thread that recommend using rubber coating and cable ties. What do people recommend? I believe the best option would be to use a rubber strap but I don't know where to get one. Any ideas?

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I have smeared some neoprene glue (Black Witch) on the strap which helped a lot, mainly because it is something I already use for repairing my lycra and overshoes. I have not bothered with cable ties as I take mine off after every ride.

Oh, by the way, Welcome :bravo:

daccg

I have smeared some neoprene glue (Black Witch) on the strap which helped a lot, mainly because it is something I already use for repairing my lycra and overshoes. I have not bothered with cable ties as I take mine off after every ride.

Oh, by the way, Welcome :bravo:

Thanks! I think I'm going to cut a small piece of inner tube and glue it to the inner side of the strap - that should make it more grippy as well as thicker so hopefully it'll make the fit a bit tighter.

Does anyone know where to buy rubber straps like the ones that come with some mudguards? Those would be ideal!

OP
OP
Chess

Chess

Hi daccq. Welcome to the forum. Great folk on here that know tons of stuff to do with bikes, and very helpful they are too.
Even though it was this thread that brought you to our forum, have a good look around the rest of the site, Thiers an abundance of information contained herein on every possible subject to do with bikes, cycling ect.
Best and most helpful forum on the net.! Enjoy.
Cheers.
Chess.

Custom24

Über Member
Thanks! I think I'm going to cut a small piece of inner tube and glue it to the inner side of the strap - that should make it more grippy as well as thicker so hopefully it'll make the fit a bit tighter.

Does anyone know where to buy rubber straps like the ones that come with some mudguards? Those would be ideal!
The inner tube on the seat post plus insulation tape to secure it is what I did and it works fine

daccg

Hi daccq. Welcome to the forum. Great folk on here that know tons of stuff to do with bikes, and very helpful they are too.
Even though it was this thread that brought you to our forum, have a good look around the rest of the site, Thiers an abundance of information contained herein on every possible subject to do with bikes, cycling ect.
Best and most helpful forum on the net.! Enjoy.
Cheers.
Chess.

Thanks very much for the warm welcome! I'm definitely planning on staying, especially after having had a browse. It is a very helpful forum indeed!

The inner tube on the seat post plus insulation tape to secure it is what I did and it works fine

Yes, that sounds like a really good option. I haven't got any old, punctured inner tubes (yet) so what I actually did last evening was to cut a small piece of pipe insulating foam and fit that round the seat post. I then put some gaffer tape over it so it's secured. It doesn't look too bad and seems like the camera can now be fitted very tightly plus the foam might even dampen some vibration! I'll let you guys know how that works and will upload a picture for illustration purposes.

Top Bottom