1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aldi rear camera

Discussion in 'Shopping, Services, Offers and Reviews' started by Chess, 25 Sep 2017.

1. mjr

mjr Wanting to Keep My EU Citizenship

About eighty proof?

Illaveago likes this.
  2. Reiver

Reiver Legendary Member

if it captured a terrorist planting a bomb it would definitely be compelling evidence, if it captures a fellow car driver driving like a prize one twonk then it won't be.

Last edited: 12 Nov 2017
    classic33 and Illaveago like this.
  3. aegis

aegis Senior Member

Same here. I would guess they've just disabled it entirely losing both auto shutoff and accident detection. It's a pity about the latter but I'm not missing the former. It's been reliably recording rides now for the last week or so since the update including a prize idiot this morning attempting an overtake on a mini roundabout then through a zebra. *sigh*

I had a dig in the firmware but didn't get very far unfortunately. There's very few strings in there unlike in the Fly6 firmware. The chipset manufacturer seems to be fairly common (comes up often on the Chinese gadget sites) but not _that_ common that there is a community of dashcam hackers around it.

Adam4868 likes this.
  4. karlgartland

karlgartland Regular

Well, Merseyside Police are more than happy to use it for evidence. I had a close pass whilst out the other weekend and contacted them about it, they had me simply send them some screen grabs from the footage showing the close pass along with details on where and when it happened and they went and cautioned the driver about it and told them they would prosecute if they did it again. So for me that's a result, 1 less dangerous driver out there.

Attached Files:

DCLane, gaijintendo, iancity and 5 others like this.
  5. InchPitch

InchPitch Regular

yoiks that looks close.
    Whats the procedure for reporting - did you have to go down the station to fill in a form etc.

6. Jenkins

Jenkins Veteran

I don't think many of you are local, but the Aldi in Meridith Road (off Felixstowe Road) in Ipswich had half a dozen of these left for £20 when I was in there on Saturday.

7. mjr

Wow. I had the last one reduced out of King's Lynn's nearly 2 weeks ago so I'm surprised there's that many left in Ipswich.

8. gaijintendo

gaijintendo Über Member

Still £40 in Robroyston, not sure how many as they don't trust us enough to leave then out.

I'd be willing to pay postage if anyone wanted to help. My Fly6 battery lasted a year (charged daily, takes all night to charge on a good C,harger). Not a massive fan of their customer service.

9. mr_cellophane

mr_cellophane Veteran

Still 2 left at £39.99 in Upminster

10. mjr

The one I bought was still marked on the shelf in the cabinet at £40 but went through the till for less. Ask if you didn't.

11. RoubaixCube

RoubaixCube ~Tribanese~

There are still a few at the Tottenham branch. Not sure how many but they have one on display in the cabinet. Not sure if they still have the one that i returned

12. lyn1

lyn1 Senior Member

About 6 or 7 @ Silsden (Nr. Keighley) this morning. £29.99

13. karlgartland

karlgartland Regular

Hi sorry for delay in replying. No all I did was to contact them on their Twitter account, never actually spoke to anyone all via tweets until the driver had been spoken to, then the police officer who dealt with the driver phoned me to explain how it all went. all very easy and 21st century :-)

14. Arjimlad

Arjimlad Tights of Cydonia

Second scalp for a close pass with mine this week. Uploaded the footage to the police website and a letter of advice is on its way to the registered keeper.

InchPitch, gaijintendo and mjr like this.
  15. Bigpikle

Bigpikle Well-Known Member

I just picked one up in Buckingham for £14.99...... now time to go back and find out how to update the firmware and make it work as well as it can!

Arjimlad likes this.