Aldi rear camera

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LittleJim

Über Member
I have my light, I cannot remember how I did the firmware update, but if you want the 3 files I have on the light, they are called config.txt, settime.txt and perhaps crucially VER, all are only 1k in size though. Let me know if you want me to send them to you.
Hi @Milkfloat - I'm looking for the firmware upgrade files. I did'nt need them unil recently as it has started cutting out mid-commute so I have to reach back whilst riding and turn it back on again - frustrating and potentially dangerous.

Can you send them to me please?
Thanks,
Jim.

dpensox

Hi,
Found the folder on my desktop (yes it's cluttered!)
it's a ZIP file, not a RAR file as I seem to have deleted the original RAR, so have re-compressed
Use at your own risk and Supplied without warranty of any kind!

MOD NOTE:
Hi @dpensox and welcome to CC!
We are sorry, but attachments, apart from pictures, are not allowed for site security reasons.
I have deleted your file, if you like you can copy and paste the text file.
Enjoy CC!

Last edited by a moderator:

dpensox

hmm, OK seems like I can't post the file (thought it seemed to good to be true)
Anyone wants it, drop me a PM and I'll get it to you.

Thanks

Dave

LittleJim

Über Member
Hi @dpensox and @Milkfloat I managed to get the Zip file direct from Quesh (enquiries@quesh.co.uk), they were surprisingly helpful. I will post below the names of the files they provided and the instructions (but not the files themselves so that I don't fall foul of the moderator).

Zip file title:
refirmwarehelpformaxtekhdcamerabikelight.zip

Files when extracted:
CONFIG.TXT
JL_AC51.bfu
SETTIME.TXT
VER.dat

Instructions provided in email:
To update the firmware please do the following:
• Format the micro SD card directly on a PC or Laptop (You might need a Micro SD card Adaptor).
• Transfer the "JL_AC51.bfu" file to the blank card.
• Insert the micro SD card into the the camera light.
• Turn on the camera light and wait for the LED to go out.
• Remove the card and format it again directly in a PC or Laptop.

Setting date and time:
• Transfer the files: "CONFIG", "SETTIME" and "VER" to the card with a card reader.
• Insert the card into the camera.
• Connect the camera to a PC/Laptop via the USB lead.
• Modify the "CONFIG" file to set the time and date.
• Disconnect and turn off the camera.
• Turn on the camera to complete the update.

I have performed the firmware update. The cameralight still seems to work, I will report back in a few days to confirm whether it has resolved the issue with the cameralight turning off after 15mins.

Regards,
Jim.

dogthomson

Hi, joined the forum to post on this thread.

I've been using this camera/light for a while and have been pretty happy with it and certainly haven't experienced any of the issues mentioned.

However, I've recently fitted a rear rack and pack to my bike so I can no longer mount the camera/light to my seatpost as the view behind is obscured by the pack.

Ideally I want to mount the thing on the downward strut of my rack, but the supplied velcro strap doesn't do a very good job of keeping things in place.

I've also tried zip-tying the unit in place, but the diameter of tube that the rack is made from is a lot smaller than a seatpost, so while things are fairly secure vertically there's still a lot of lateral movement and the camera is easily displaced by the slightest of knocks.

So... Has anyone come up with a novel solution to mount this unit on anything other than a seatpost? Descriptions and pics would be much appreciated!

gaijintendo

Veteran
Hi, joined the forum to post on this thread.

I've been using this camera/light for a while and have been pretty happy with it and certainly haven't experienced any of the issues mentioned.

However, I've recently fitted a rear rack and pack to my bike so I can no longer mount the camera/light to my seatpost as the view behind is obscured by the pack.

Ideally I want to mount the thing on the downward strut of my rack, but the supplied velcro strap doesn't do a very good job of keeping things in place.

I've also tried zip-tying the unit in place, but the diameter of tube that the rack is made from is a lot smaller than a seatpost, so while things are fairly secure vertically there's still a lot of lateral movement and the camera is easily displaced by the slightest of knocks.

So... Has anyone come up with a novel solution to mount this unit on anything other than a seatpost? Descriptions and pics would be much appreciated!
Any Fly 6 solution should work. I thought a lot about this and I imagined a stem, the diameter of the seat post, clamping a short broom handle to get it to pop out behind my saddle bag.

But I'm a lunatic.

I use mine with a rack now, and it didn't massively obscure then picture in my experience. (Side bags only in use)

https://images.app.goo.gl/XWzf7vhaT5jR1DTe6 some bodges exist...

Last edited:

dogthomson

Any Fly 6 solution should work. I thought a lot about this and I imagined a stem, the diameter of the seat post, clamping a short broom handle to get it to pop out behind my saddle bag.

But I'm a lunatic.

I use mine with a rack now, and it didn't massively obscure then picture in my experience. Side bags only.

https://images.app.goo.gl/XWzf7vhaT5jR1DTe6 some bodges exist...
Thanks for your response gaijintendo.

From what I can see there are several versions of the Fly6 with different form factors.

Can anyone confirm which is closest to the Aldi cam?

gaijintendo

Veteran
Thanks for your response gaijintendo.

From what I can see there are several versions of the Fly6 with different form factors.

Can anyone confirm which is closest to the Aldi cam?

It's extremely close to the [v] which I also own.
They are all designed for seatposts, and the only substantial hardware revision seems to be with the new black CE ones.

The original and pre [v] I think had it so you could clip into the rubber mount, and the [v] and Aldi one are just rubber connected directly if I'm reading the manuals on the cycliq site correctly.

https://www.shapeways.com/marketplace/?tag=fly6 there a couple of [v] rack bits there, and it illustrates the clip in of the previous models (not Aldi).

robinc

Regular
I've had one of these units since 2017.
Been working fine until this summer when it would only last a week on a charge even if not used.
Quesh had spare batteries so they sent me one of those to try out since I was still covered by the warranty.
They don't have spares of the electronics and since the battery they sent was obviously taken from a dismantled unit I suspect I'm not the only person who had problems with the electronics. I also tried swapping the sdcard since I was still on the original 8G card, but that doesn't seem to have helped.
I guess something in the electronics is now slowly draining the battery. I'll see if the cooler autumn weather makes any difference.

irvinth

Hi @dpensox and @Milkfloat I managed to get the Zip file direct from Quesh (enquiries@quesh.co.uk), they were surprisingly helpful. I will post below the names of the files they provided and the instructions (but not the files themselves so that I don't fall foul of the moderator).

Zip file title:
refirmwarehelpformaxtekhdcamerabikelight.zip

Files when extracted:
CONFIG.TXT
JL_AC51.bfu
SETTIME.TXT
VER.dat

Instructions provided in email:
To update the firmware please do the following:
• Format the micro SD card directly on a PC or Laptop (You might need a Micro SD card Adaptor).
• Transfer the "JL_AC51.bfu" file to the blank card.
• Insert the micro SD card into the the camera light.
• Turn on the camera light and wait for the LED to go out.
• Remove the card and format it again directly in a PC or Laptop.

Setting date and time:
• Transfer the files: "CONFIG", "SETTIME" and "VER" to the card with a card reader.
• Insert the card into the camera.
• Connect the camera to a PC/Laptop via the USB lead.
• Modify the "CONFIG" file to set the time and date.
• Disconnect and turn off the camera.
• Turn on the camera to complete the update.

I have performed the firmware update. The cameralight still seems to work, I will report back in a few days to confirm whether it has resolved the issue with the cameralight turning off after 15mins.

Regards,
Jim.
Hello LittleJim

Could you mail me the files please.

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
My Aldi rear camera worked perfectly until it got very wet. Then it would only turn on by plugging in the UBS lead. It would then be OK until it was turned off.
I bit the bullet and bought a Fly6. Great video's, but doesn't last as long. Oh well.

Top Bottom