Aldi rear camera

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
The Aldi light lasted all night, over 8 hours. Not sure how long recording lasts as it was on cycle so it over wrote stuff. The Fly recording lasts long enough to half fill a 128Gb card before turning from record to light only. I've taken the 128 card out and put a 64Gb one in now.

Jay5642

Hi everyone.

I have the bikemate version of the aldi camera. Its not looping when the memory is full. Does the firmware update help with this? Do u guys have a copy?

sparker

Hello, just downloaded it and upgraded mine.

The instructions say to copy the downloaded file (79004Update.rar) to the SD card and switch it on for it to update, however this doesn't work as you need to extract the downloaded RAR (compressed file) first using something like 7zip. this will give you a folder called firmware and it is the file in this folder you need to copy to the SD card - JL_AC51.bfu. Then once you switch it on it does illuminate the LED's for about 4-5 secs and upgrade the firmware.
Mine has gone from 17060801_V3 to 171026_V3, which I guess refers to 26 Oct 2017. If you open the VER file with notepad then you can confirm which version you are on.
It will also reset the date/time so that will need to be changed back using the config file.

Mine is now running on the desk so will see how long it stays on for.

Does anyone have the firmware update file? It is no longer available from the website and the bikemate version posted above does not seem to work for the Aldi Maxtek camera.

Last edited by a moderator:

sparker

I received a prompt reply from enquiries@quesh.uk with the firmware update instructions and the firmware file JL_AC51.bfu (which in fact is the same as you posted above, thanks). I expect it didn't work previously as I didn't exactly follow the install instructions which I see were posted by LitteJim on 9th May.

robinc

Regular
Hi everyone.

I have the bikemate version of the aldi camera. Its not looping when the memory is full. Does the firmware update help with this? Do u guys have a copy?
Is that the version sold in Aldi Australia this March? I've not heard of it being offered elsewhere so far.

My issue with the shorter battery life on the Maxtek version started after it had a soaking, which seems to be a common theme with problems on this unit.

robinc

Regular
Some weeks ago my unit stopped working completely and I couldn't get it to charge. On investigation it seemed like something was shorting the battery. I disconnected the battery and connected the circuit board to a bench supply and increased the power until a few amps were flowing. Small surface mount capacitor C20 on the LED board was getting hot so I removed this and all is now good. It is now keeping a charge for more than a week.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
A rear view camera may help if you get hit from behind.
How often do you think you would use it as a camera?

I have been riding nearly 60 years and have never been hit from behind yet. If I were hit from behind I still wouldnt buy one. I wouldnt buy one of those blow up accident collars or body armour.

Out of the many thousands of these cameras that are probably sold. I wonder how many actually provide footage that result in a successful conviction and compensation, following an accident. Miniscule I would imagine.

But it is not my money, its yours :smile:

What is it like as a light?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 26715

I have been riding nearly 60 years and have never been hit from behind yet. If I were hit from behind I still wouldnt buy one. I wouldnt buy one of those blow up accident collars or body armour.

Out of the many thousands of these cameras that are probably sold. I wonder how many actually provide footage that result in a successful conviction and compensation. Miniscule I would imagine.

Bad day @steveindenmark ?

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless

Out of the many thousands of these cameras that are probably sold. I wonder how many actually provide footage that result in a successful conviction and compensation, following an accident. Miniscule I would imagine.

In 25% of fatal cyclist collisions, the rider is struck from behind.

As a light, my Fly6 is excellent.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
In 25% of fatal cyclist collisions, the rider is struck from behind.

As a light, my Fly6 is excellent.
So in 75%of the time they are not.
Both pointless figures.

Unless we know that 50% of the time fatal accidents are caused from the side. In which case there is a market for a a 360 degree crossbar or handlebar camera.

D

Deleted member 26715

Unless we know that 50% of the time fatal accidents are caused from the side. In which case there is a market for a a 360 degree crossbar or handlebar camera.
Surely that would have to be a helmet mounted camera as that is the only point which has a 360 view, unless you're on a tandem that is, although if you were the tallest rider.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
So in 75%of the time they are not.
Both pointless figures.

If you can't see the evidential value in having a visual record of events leading up to a collision, fatal or otherwise, then ignore the thread.

I've not been hit from behind yet but it's comes close several times. I have secured three successful prosecutions using footage from my rear camera.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I have also secured a prosecution for this piece of dangerous driving. The rear footage was critical showing sustained tailgating for a period before I realised the car was there. I am not especially hard of hearing. The footage was really useful in court. The magistrates looked very shocked by how close the car stayed to my back wheel.

It's an Aldi Maxtek light, which seems to have a great battery life and the rear light is pretty good as well. I think after this experience that I would sooner go without the front than the rear camera, as the majority of my complaints have been for close passing.

On the other hand, don't most collisions occur at junctions where the front camera would be better ? I haven't had a collision yet, thankfully.

View: https://youtu.be/x1CdYBQiPXE

Top Bottom