Aldi rear camera

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Adam4868

Guru
How full was the memory card ? Sounds like it did loop, as you say.. 8GB is not all that big - the recording is in 500mb chunks for 5 mins so that'd be about right
Card was the one that came with it,like I say when I plugged into laptop the last hour ISH of ride was there.

InchPitch

Regular
tried the camera again this afternoon - at the desk with a 32Gb Class 10 card.
I couldn't get any idle mode (aka Fly6) to turn itself off after say 15 mins of no movement.
When tilted on its side incident mode, it beeps and keeps beeping every 5 minutes, and was still recording after 1h 40 mins, so didn't seem to turn off (aka fly 6). Maybe it keeps going till the card is full in this instance ?- but became tired of the beeps every 5 mins ^_^

aegis

Ok im really no expert on these cameras,went out for ride early this morning.The camera was recording switched off once after about 8/10 miles.Turned back on and when i got home 2 half hours later it got the last hour ish of my ride ?So i guess it looped over the first part ?

Sounds right. The switch off is almost certainly due to inactivity. At this point I don't know if the motion detection is due to a mechanical switch (likely) or the firmware detecting movement through the lens but if your first bit of the ride is on smooth-ish roads it's likely the switch hasn't been triggered to reset the inactivity timer. If you've ever taken one of these things apart, it's often a tiny spring inside a cage. When you shake it, the spring makes contact with the cage and a circuit is completed resetting a timer.

The 8GB card records about an hour in my experience. 5 minute chunks of video at 1080p 25fps MJPEG AVI ends up about 500-800MB each. It's one of the few advantages the Fly6 has as that uses 720p 30fps h.264 so the image size is smaller and compression higher. You get about two to three times as much video recorded on the Fly6 per GB and from looking at both camera's output, it looks like the Aldi Maxtek camera is scaling up to 1080p for bragging rights but no actual gain in quality of video. h.264 requires paying a licence to use which is where some of the £80 difference in price goes though not a massive chunk of that.

Which is why I've been digging through firmware binaries. If we can tweak/switch off the motion detection and switch it to 720p h.264, it'd be almost perfect for me.

aegis

tried the camera again this afternoon - at the desk with a 32Gb Class 10 card.
I couldn't get any idle mode (aka Fly6) to turn itself off after say 15 mins of no movement.
When tilted on its side incident mode, it beeps and keeps beeping every 5 minutes, and was still recording after 1h 40 mins, so didn't seem to turn off (aka fly 6). Maybe it keeps going till the card is full in this instance ?- but became tired of the beeps every 5 mins ^_^

Interesting. Mine switches off after 15 minutes if just left recording me sat at my desk like a webcam. When tilted mine switched off after about 15 minutes also but maybe that was because of a full card. You obviously don't want it to loop and overwrite if if it detects an incident. The Fly 6 records for up to an hour after an incident. Time for another test I think. ;)

aegis

No, I won't risk it. As you say, more sensible to wait for the firmware fix from Quesh. Thanks for the info though - very interesting stuff. I'd not really contemplated investigating the firmware side of things until I saw your post.

Cheers, Jeff.

There's quite a reasonable action cam/dash cam hacking/mod scene which I was totally unaware of before getting the Aldi Maxtek camera. Sites like goprawn.com and dashcamtalk.com have been useful. Also some of the radio controlled drone sites have some useful stuff about these cameras. It's surprising to learn that some of the cameras people are paying hundreds for are fundamentally identical to those costing tens.

Jason

WOW - you guys are having lots of issues with the Aldi version I see. Can't add anything useful, other than the authentic fly 6 just works and I haven't had to test multiple times. Hope these work out okay ... eventually

Adam4868

Guru
Went for a 20 mile early morning ride and switched off at 5 miles and then again at 12 ! Got a mind of its own.On the plus side there's a three year guarantee.

InchPitch

Regular
Checked it again today:
- inactivity test
... leaving it on the desk upright. It switched off after 15 minutes which is what I was hoping for (as you say)

- incident test
... dropped it on the carpet and left it ....... and it beeped and carried on recording for 15 mins before switching off - so that's good too.

Done a 3 hour ride with the original 8Gb - recorded fine all the way with no random switch offs, looped and overwrote the early files to leave me with the last 11x5 mins segments.

The 32 Gb Class 10 (Sandisk Extreme Ultra) seems to be working fine too.

Got a cunning plan to fix a bit of pipe to an old Cateye rear stay light clamp for an alternative mount location.

Interesting. Mine switches off after 15 minutes if just left recording me sat at my desk like a webcam. When tilted mine switched off after about 15 minutes also but maybe that was because of a full card. You obviously don't want it to loop and overwrite if if it detects an incident. The Fly 6 records for up to an hour after an incident. Time for another test I think. ;)

Last edited:

aegis

WOW - you guys are having lots of issues with the Aldi version I see. Can't add anything useful, other than the authentic fly 6 just works and I haven't had to test multiple times. Hope these work out okay ... eventually

Generally, it also just works. The main reason there's lots of issues discussed is that none of the features we're talking about are in the manual and the quesh.co.uk website gives incorrect info such as no loop recording (it has) or that you need a PC to change the date (you don't - Mac works fine) or that there's a 32GB card limit (nope - using 64GB FAT32 card here).

If you ignore the manual and just read the Fly 6 manual instead, you end up with a better picture of what works and how though there are some differences. The only real issue is it shutting off by itself mid ride due to possibly poor motion detection, which is possibly fixable in software or at least hackable to be disabled.

InchPitch

Regular
@aegis [ re 64 Gb ] Which runs out first - the card or the battery ?

Generally, it also just works. The main reason there's lots of issues discussed is that none of the features we're talking about are in the manual and the quesh.co.uk website gives incorrect info such as no loop recording (it has) or that you need a PC to change the date (you don't - Mac works fine) or that there's a 32GB card limit (nope - using 64GB FAT32 card here).

If you ignore the manual and just read the Fly 6 manual instead, you end up with a better picture of what works and how though there are some differences. The only real issue is it shutting off by itself mid ride due to possibly poor motion detection, which is possibly fixable in software or at least hackable to be disabled.

aegis

@aegis [ re 64 Gb ] Which runs out first - the card or the battery ?

ME! Stinking cold just now.

64GB would be about 8-10 hours of video since you get about an hour on the included 8GB card. That's about a week of commuting for me without having to remember to empty it if I wanted to keep earlier footage. The battery is supposedly good for up to 6 hours. My usual commute of 45-60 minutes hasn't seen me dip below 25% usage even with the light switched on at max brightness.

Jason

If you switch the lights OFF or to a lower setting, this greatly increases the run time. I tend to use better rear lights anyway. (not that these are bad)

InchPitch

Regular
3 hours riding today, with lights off, 32 Gb card, still got 3 beeps at the end. captured the whole ride - well pleased.

If you switch the lights OFF or to a lower setting, this greatly increases the run time. I tend to use better rear lights anyway. (not that these are bad)

Top Bottom