Aldi rear camera

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jeff-T

Regular
Wonder if the problem is cheap sd cards?

I wondered that too.

When I first accessed the card directly I kept getting messages to scan and repair the card, which I did, but the problem kept occurring. Then I did a full format of the card (FAT32) and it seemed OK. I have also experienced the camera switching off after 20 minutes. After carrying out the system reset, the camera worked for the next entire journey, without switching off every 20 minutes. However, tonight it was back to switching off after 20 minutes again. I'll see if I can find a different SD card, of a higher capacity, and try that.

Despite the switching off problem, I think the actual quality of the recording is far better than I expected. Watching some of the footage is slightly scarier than being on my bike at the time. Some of the passing cars seem much closer than I realised, unless it's just an effect of the wide angle perspective.

Jeff.

Made an account to comment on this thread. I too purchased this camera. Used it for the first time today and about 20 mins after setting off, I got the 4 loud beeps and the camera switched off. I'm using the included 8GB card which I had formatted as FAT32 prior to using the camera today. I'm gonna order a larger Micro SD card and I'll see if that helps.

Hoping that much of this will be resolved with either a better quality card, or a firmware update. Won't send the camera back for now as I'm otherwise happy with it, and hoping the firmware might be updated to fix the issue. I'll email Quesh just to add my feedback in, too.

Otherwise, it seems to work well. Quality is acceptable given it's only £40, and not too much wobble despite a lot of the roads around me being pothole central. I like the ease of mounting with the velcro straps, and the camera held onto the seat post perfectly even though it doesn't look like it's on very strongly. Only thing I will say otherwise is the small wedge that is included to adjust the angle of the seatpost mount has the worst bit of double sided tape stuck to it, it has no sticking power at all and even fell off with the camera just in my bag! Gonna have to keep a very close eye on that piece so as not to lose it!!!

DRHysted

Guru
After the zip tie failure I came up with using an old handle bar extender and jubilee clips and more zip ties to secure (1st picture) which produced a stable platform but I couldn’t get the side pannier on if needed.
So today I came up with a different fitting using some old plastic pipe jubilee clipped to the pannier rack (2nd picture) which allows the side pannier if neede (3rd picture). You’ll notice I’m using a jubilee clip to secure the camera because I can’t get it right enough using the supplied Velcro strap. It feels very stable, time will tell.
Regarding the switching off issue, most rides it will turn off between 15 and 27 minutes, sometimes it works continually without issue. I’ll wait and see what happens after an update.

Attachments

• 16611C46-3ED0-4999-AB42-2E017AE3DA10.jpeg
    16611C46-3ED0-4999-AB42-2E017AE3DA10.jpeg
    142.2 KB · Views: 143
  • 8F74F6E1-6A08-49F6-AF9C-58FFFD348046.jpeg
    8F74F6E1-6A08-49F6-AF9C-58FFFD348046.jpeg
    170.8 KB · Views: 162
  • 729B927E-C142-481A-ACFF-91B37C91366D.jpeg
    729B927E-C142-481A-ACFF-91B37C91366D.jpeg
    163.2 KB · Views: 147

Lamb Henry

Regular
Regarding the switching off issue i emailed Quesh and received the following, which sounds hopeful.

"We are waiting on a firmware update to resolve a few operating issues.
This will be available on our website within the next 2 weeks."

pauljamez

Also have the aldi clone fly6. Initially had silly problems ,and I also have the problem of it beeping and turning odd after 15 mins or so.
I dont know if it is faulty or not would like to hear from anyone else who has had this problem and if they have been able to resolve it'

Also have the aldi clone fly6. Initially had silly problems ,and I also have the problem of it beeping and turning odd after 15 mins or so.
I dont know if it is faulty or not would like to hear from anyone else who has had this problem and if they have been able to resolve it'

I had this turning off issue. Happened twice on me despite formatting the card and resetting the device. I've just installed a Sandisk Ultra 32GB UHS-I card, I'll see how it fares on the ride to work tomorrow.

I emailed Quesh support detailing this issue too. They acknowledged my email was in line with other feedback they'd received. That was almost a week ago now though, so things have obviously progressed since that time.

If this problem can be fixed with just a simple firmward update - perfect! I will be super happy!!!

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I had this turning off issue. Happened twice on me despite formatting the card and resetting the device. I've just installed a Sandisk Ultra 32GB UHS-I card, I'll see how it fares on the ride to work tomorrow.

I emailed Quesh support detailing this issue too. They acknowledged my email was in line with other feedback they'd received. That was almost a week ago now though, so things have obviously progressed since that time.

If this problem can be fixed with just a simple firmward update - perfect! I will be super happy!!!

My Aldi Camera/Light worked fine initially. See above in this thread, I even posted sample footage. But, after a few days, it began to exhibit the "switching off after 20 minutes" syndrome, using the original supplied card. Reformatting the card changed the behaviour to switching off after 35 minutes. Like you, I am now trying a Samsung 32GB Ultra card, to see if it changes the behaviour. I will report back.

The Quesh site is mentioned by several people, but, I can see no option to download updated firmware for this, or any other device they sell/support, am I missing something?

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I put a 16GB card into mine having formatted it, and the thing then switched off when it had recorded 8GB of data (after about 25 minutes on my way to work when I'd not deleted the previous day's recordings)...

There's time yet to invoke the warranty..Aldi have been very good at issuing refunds in the past.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I put a 16GB card into mine having formatted it, and the thing then switched off when it had recorded 8GB of data (after about 25 minutes on my way to work when I'd not deleted the previous day's recordings)...

There's time yet to invoke the warranty..Aldi have been very good at issuing refunds in the past.

Although some posters have said the camera "loop records", the specification specifically says it does not loop record. Personally, if the switching off problem is cured by the 32GB decent quality SD card, I will be quite happy with the camera, it is no problem to delete old footage, and quality of recording is quite acceptable, IMHO.

Custom24

Über Member
The Quesh site is mentioned by several people, but, I can see no option to download updated firmware for this, or any other device they sell/support, am I missing something?

I got this reply from Quesh today when I emailed them about the shutting off problem

We are currently waiting on the national holiday in China to finish so we can obtain the firmware for this item.

This will be available on our website as an update within the next 2 weeks.

They said it will be there, not that it already is available.

Jeff-T

Regular
I've been using it for almost two weeks now, and I switched to using a 32Gb card a few days ago. The switching off is still happening on occasions, although not all of the time. The switch-off seems to be happening after 14 minutes now, instead of 20. It'll be interesting to see if Quesh do issue a firmware fix.

All in all, I'd rather be with it than without it. It's easy enough to reach down and switch back on when it does switch off, and the beeping (when it does switch off) is loud enough to hear even over the noisy traffic. The quality of the footage is OK. It's tempted me to invest in a front-facing one too. As I said, in a previous post, reviewing some of the footage is quite scary in terms of how close some of the traffic does actually encroach.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Yup - happy with the quality of the recording and it's good to have the rear covered by camera as well as the front. If it will fill the card up before switching off, it's not a problem as it is easy to delete the recordings.

Tried it with the 32GB card today. Ride to work was fine - 22 minutes. Ride back home, about 15 minutes in, camera switched itself off.

It's a minor annoyance, but it's easy enough for me to pull over for a moment and turn it back on. I do hope it gets fixed in a firmware update though.

Last edited:
I'm a bit late to this thread, however the following review may be of use: not mine, but one of my mates who runs "HPV Coaching and Cycling"

"I have run it along side the Cycliq Fly 6(v) (RRP £120). This Maxtek camera looks and sounds very similar to the Cycliq and it does record what is happening behind you. However it is not a looping recording like the Cycliq so when the supplied 8GB card is full the camera stops recording. You still have a £40 back light though. Contrary to claims in the manual, the 8GB card will not record up to 2 hours, in fact you will be lucky to get an hour. It records in 5 min chunks, 34 mins and 3 secs took up 5.63GB on the card. 1080HD at 30 fps is memory hungry according to the support line who know the camera very well. There is no way to change the recording frame rate or quality. For some unknown reason it stopped recording twice and I had to restart it. This is apparently a known issue with it. On the plus side, recording in cloudy daylight is very clear and sound recording is fine too as the mic is protected from wind noise by the seat post. I had to use the Cycliq velcro strap to fix to the seat post as the supplied cheap one without the grippy silicon coating inside does not allow a particularly steady or secure fitting to the seatpost which affects a clear and steady recording quality. So in summary it is £40 for a reason, you can increase recording time by adding a bigger card which is my plan so that I can assess battery life. The importers do plan a firmware update within a couple of weeks which may sort some of the issues but due to chipset limitations this camera will never be able to loop record and the card will always need emptying when full. In it's current state this is not a camera to rely on when out on a ride."

Seems to sum it up quite nicely when looking at the thread.

Top Bottom