Aldi rear camera

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tiwi

Had mine out for the first time today. As explained above, yes it does loop.
However, mine turned off by itself after 20 minutes. Beeped 3 times then that was it till I turned it back on again. It was fully charged when I set off, according to Facebook one or two other users havingthe same problem.
Also a bit disappointed with the quality - quite grainy and compressed. Could make out most license plates but not all, and that was midday, dread to think waht it is liek dusk/night time.
I have a fly6 packaged and ready to send back to Wiggle (ordered it just before I found out about the Aldi one). Really not sure now which one to keep/send back...
Anyone else any problems with turning itself off? Is there any way (settings perhaps?) to improve the quality?

Yep. Used mine on a club ride this morning. Bleeped 3 times and turned off after 15 mins. A friends did the same thing. Turns on again ok & records etc but for only 15 mins. Plenty of battery power left & also space on the card. I have now "Formatted" the card. No idea what that means, but it has been on for an hour now & not turned off.... I was pleased with the film quality. dreadful sound though but I'm not making movies with it.....

Custom24

Über Member
@iancity i found exactly the same as you. I think it is turning off because the SD card is full. So a 32gb SD card would might make it run longer if that's the case.

There is nothing about quality settings in the manual or on the quesh website. I suspect it runs at one quality setting only

overall, disappointed

@Custom24, not sure about that. It was only 20 minutes into the ride, I would have thought an 8g would maybe last an hour before full? Also it was fine afterwards on a 2 hr ride. Others have reported same problem though so its not a one off.
I'm struggling with others saying the picture quality is good. As I say I can see most reg numbers but 1 in particular goes by me so fast that no amount of pausing the video gets the licence plate. maybe its the video compression, maybe its my monitor, dont know but either way, as with you, a little disappointed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tiwi

@iancity i found exactly the same as you. I think it is turning off because the SD card is full. So a 32gb SD card would might make it run longer if that's the case.

There is nothing about quality settings in the manual or on the quesh website. I suspect it runs at one quality setting only

overall, disappointed

After formatting the 8GB card it recorded for 3hrs, before I turned it off. Will give it another chance!! It definitely loop records

Jason

Imo the instructions are really basic. They dont even tell you the maximum capacity of memory card that the device supports. Ive tried a 64GB and 128GB but i dont have a 32GB spare and neither of them worked so i stuck with the 8GB that came with it for testing.

But as you can see from some of the samples. the video quality aint too great and this is supposed to be 1080p quality as well but looks closer to 480-640p thats been stretched or upscaled to 1080p. Even 720p would look better.

as far as functionality goes. there is nothing in the manual about loop recording and theres only two buttons on the device to mess around with. One is dedicated to brightness while the other is dedicated to turning on and off and cycling through lighting modes. Its incredibly basic for what it is.... For £15 it would be a steal. £20 would be pushing it but still a half decent buy.

I have the cycliq fly6 -> it takes a 32MB card and loop records. If the bike is layed on the floor(simulating an off),the recording some minutes before and after is locked to prevent it being over written. I can't speak for the aldi version

Jeff-T

Regular
When I first put the blank 8Gb card in the unit and switched on the camera started recording ok. Checked the files and they were good but the time stamp was 7 hours ahead (date ok). Looked on the card and only had a folder containing video files. I created a config.txt file edited according to the manual. No luck resetting time. Tried all sorts of permutations. The editing was done by putting the card in an adapter and into a pc. Next I tried formatting the card in a Windows PC then putting it back in the unit. Connected the unit to a Windows PC (make sure the cable works with data not just a charging cable). The red charging light came on and the card appeared as a drive on the pc with a DCIMA folder, a CONFIG file, a set time txt file containing instructions and a ver file. Editing this CONFIG file allowed the time to be changed and the unit reset the file so that '1' became '0' (explained in manual). 1 means change date, 0 means no change..

Many, many thanks for this, as it has been driving me mad all afternoon. I got to the point where I'd connected it to my computer, found the file, edited it, but when I restarted the unit it was still 7 hours ahead. However, I noticed your advice with regard to formatting the SD card (FAT32), which I did, and then repeated the process. Then the unit had the correct time. Cheers!

I've only done a quick trip around the block with it, so it's a bit early to tell how good it is. Having reviewed the short three minute footage, I was pleasantly surprised though, as I fully expected all the registration plates to be blurred. Be interesting to see how it holds up on my commutes.

Jeff.

Eventually returned mine. Formatted the card but it would still turn itself off after 20 minutes or so. Also couldnt quite make out some reg numbers, which after all is the whole point of it.

Disappointed, as was hoping it would be decent, but for me its not suitable.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
The whole things seems a bit academic for me now. I ordered online at about 6.30am on the day the pre-order was opened. I would have therefore been one of the first, if not the first to pre-order. I contacted Aldi today via email to ask when they would actually dispatch the camera. After about 30 minutes I received an automated message about a refund to my card. No explanation or sorry at all.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
The whole things seems a bit academic for me now. I ordered online at about 6.30am on the day the pre-order was opened. I would have therefore been one of the first, if not the first to pre-order. I contacted Aldi today via email to ask when they would actually dispatch the camera. After about 30 minutes I received an automated message about a refund to my card. No explanation or sorry at all.

Looks like they ran out of units at the warehouse

captainmcrowe

Have been trying to get mine to work since yesterday. Fully charged up, popped in sd card held the power button in unit made about four beeps all lights came on flashing then all lights go out. Will not stay on and video is not recording as no revolving lights around lens. Took memory card out and put in PC nothing recorded in the dcmia folder, it's empty. Checked properties and it is FAT32 . Anybody have any ideas, am I doing something wrong?

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Have been trying to get mine to work since yesterday. Fully charged up, popped in sd card held the power button in unit made about four beeps all lights came on flashing then all lights go out. Will not stay on and video is not recording as no revolving lights around lens. Took memory card out and put in PC nothing recorded in the dcmia folder, it's empty. Checked properties and it is FAT32 . Anybody have any ideas, am I doing something wrong?

Format the SD Card - but do it by connecting the camera to the pc, rather than taking the card out and putting that in the pc.

Top Bottom