Aldi rear camera

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
A post on singletrack says "
So the camera light does loop - it records in 500mb chunks and deletes the oldest file in turn.

It also beeps when layered on its side then turns off after a while (5 mins or so) - I guess that’s the incident detection."

If this is true, I will keep mine. I don't want to open it up and test it, in case they don't take it back.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Also, do people say Lee-Dill for Lidl, or Liddell, like the surname?

A while ago Lidl's radio adverts started referring to themselves as 'Lee-dl', but they've now gone back to pronouncing it Liddel

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
I'm wondering if it can be used other than on the saddle stem, which for me is rather short, and it sounds as if it can't be used sideways.

DRHysted

Guru
I'm wondering if it can be used other than on the saddle stem, which for me is rather short, and it sounds as if it can't be used sideways.

I use a Topeak rack bag so it won’t see anything if mounted on the stem. I’ve zip tied it to the back of the bag & will test it on the ride to work tonight.

Custom24

Über Member
Think I have figured out - no loop. http://quesh.co.uk/products/?product_id=461 says

"No loop record function available on this model." and "When the card is full it the LEDs change from a running sequence to flashing"

However, it seems that when you turn it on again after it fills up, it will delete a file, record one more file and then switch off again.

So my guess is that it doesn't do proper loop (which is stupid), but that it kind of does at power on, for one file, or something like that. Or else, there is something wrong with mine

I'm thinking about sending mine back because the footage is not great is I agree is not 1080, even if the file sizes are large (1GB for 5 minutes AVI footage)

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Think I have figured out - no loop. http://quesh.co.uk/products/?product_id=461 says

"No loop record function available on this model." and "When the card is full it the LEDs change from a running sequence to flashing"

However, it seems that when you turn it on again after it fills up, it will delete a file, record one more file and then switch off again.

So my guess is that it doesn't do proper loop (which is stupid), but that it kind of does at power on, for one file, or something like that. Or else, there is something wrong with mine

I'm thinking about sending mine back because the footage is not great is I agree is not 1080, even if the file sizes are large (1GB for 5 minutes AVI footage)

No loop recording is a dealbreaker for me, slightly poor footage is ok as long as licence plates are readable. Sounds like this is going back.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I am really confused now. This was just posted on singletrack

“Just came back from a group ride with the rear camera. Kind of wished I hadn't told half the group about it and there are several acting attempts and many stupid faces.
Anyway.
2 hr ride and still had about 40% charge left with the lights on full brightness.
8GB memory card records 11 5 minute videos and constantly overwrites the oldest video.
Video quality is great. Low light is ok and functional.
Location is a problem as it was wet so a fair bit of spray obscuring the lens at times, but clears quite quickly.
Only bad thing, don't bother with sound. Might be enough to record horns blasting but cant make out many conversations, even when stopped.
8/10 for performance, value for money, 10/10”

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Ive just refunded mine and picked up a one of their Moon Nebula knock offs to go with the front i bought from them last year. My store seems to have a lot of them still remaining for some reason. Last year they were all gone by the time I managed to get time to walk in and have a look.

I wish these lights had a pulsing mode or more flashing patterns.

redseamonkeys

Hi, this is what I've found static testing one of these ALDI camera lights this morning:

It records 5 min chunks (approx 650-700Mb).
It will take a 32Gb card.
It turns off after 15 min if not moving.
If it lays on its side (not sure exact angle at which this occurs e.g. 30° on Fly6) it beeps 3 times and continues recording. I assume it will do that for an hour like the Fly6. Hope to verify this.
It does overwrite/loop. When it reaches the full point the leds which 'chase' around the camera lens, when recording, all flash 2 or 3 times and return to chasing. I think this change of light sequence occurs every time it reaches the full point and a file is deleted/overwritten.
When put on charge it will auto start recording which can be turned off. It does not stop recording when power removed.
When I first put the blank 8Gb card in the unit and switched on the camera started recording ok. Checked the files and they were good but the time stamp was 7 hours ahead (date ok). Looked on the card and only had a folder containing video files. I created a config.txt file edited according to the manual. No luck resetting time. Tried all sorts of permutations. The editing was done by putting the card in an adapter and into a pc. Next I tried formatting the card in a Windows PC then putting it back in the unit. Connected the unit to a Windows PC (make sure the cable works with data not just a charging cable). The red charging light came on and the card appeared as a drive on the pc with a DCIMA folder, a CONFIG file, a set time txt file containing instructions and a ver file. Editing this CONFIG file allowed the time to be changed and the unit reset the file so that '1' became '0' (explained in manual). 1 means change date, 0 means no change.

When the unit was unplugged from the pc all the leds around the camera lit and stayed lit (not recording) until I powered the unit down.

Hoping to post video examples from unit and a Fly6.

All in all I like the unit and reckon it is good value.

Last edited:
Had mine out for the first time today. As explained above, yes it does loop.
However, mine turned off by itself after 20 minutes. Beeped 3 times then that was it till I turned it back on again. It was fully charged when I set off, according to Facebook one or two other users havingthe same problem.
Also a bit disappointed with the quality - quite grainy and compressed. Could make out most license plates but not all, and that was midday, dread to think waht it is liek dusk/night time.
I have a fly6 packaged and ready to send back to Wiggle (ordered it just before I found out about the Aldi one). Really not sure now which one to keep/send back...
Anyone else any problems with turning itself off? Is there any way (settings perhaps?) to improve the quality?

Top Bottom