Aldi rear camera

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sight-pin

Veteran
Just wondering if they're OK or a waste of money
For £40 I'd have one if i hadn't already bought the Fly 6V, It also comes with a 3 year guarantee which will give you plenty of time to find out.

gaijintendo

Veteran
This is the first fake fly6 in the wild, so no reviews out there.

The early fly6 had an issue with light bleed from the casing to the camera, which looks like it might effect this - the mould seems to be the same lens and diffuser component.

That said, it will do the job, much like the early fly6 did.

I feel sorry for Cycliq. I had hoped it would have been produced by them for the mass market, but sadly not...

I would like to see a few more of these on the road.

In dim light even the fly6 isn't great for picking out license plates, and I don't expect this to match it, but I'll be interested to see.

Sorry this is just random thoughts... I'm a bit sleepy.

Last edited:

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
I'm not sure I quite understand the need for it, any disputes are always when I hit things in front of me. It would get tedious reporting every close pass.

That said, if they don't compromise the camera with it's proximity to the light then it's not an expensive extra camera.

sight-pin

Veteran
I'm not sure I quite understand the need for it, any disputes are always when I hit things in front of me. It would get tedious reporting every close pass.

That said, if they don't compromise the camera with it's proximity to the light then it's not an expensive extra camera.

A rear view camera may help if you get hit from behind.

sight-pin

Veteran
This is the first fake fly6 in the wild, so no reviews out there.

The early fly6 had an issue with light bleed from the casing to the camera, which looks like it might effect this - the mould seems to be the same lens and diffuser component.

That said, it will do the job, much like the early fly6 did.

I feel sorry for Cycliq. I had hoped it would have been produced by them for the mass market, but sadly not...

I would like to see a few more of these on the road.

In dim light even the fly6 isn't great for picking out license plates, and I don't expect this to match it, but I'll be interested to see.

Sorry this is just random thoughts... I'm a bit sleepy.

The updated version works fine for me. Just for more interest here's thread with some more info about the latest Fly 6V.
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/fly6-buy-old-v-new-version.222035/post-4934331

gaijintendo

Veteran
I think I have reviewed footage twice, and otherwise just had it as a rear light.

One of the times I wondered why someone behind me was tooting then shouting like crazy at a busy junction, and it revealed he has seen his pal on the corner.

I have it, so that in an accident there is the slimmest of chances a driver might get a talking to. I don't expect anything more than that, alas.

The updated version works fine for me. Just for more interest here's thread with some more info about the latest Fly 6V.
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/fly6-buy-old-v-new-version.222035/post-4934331

True that. I have the [V] too. I was just suspecting that the Aldi version hadn't evolved as far. I wonder if they are also going for seatpost mounting. I'll read the blurb.

Edit- having read that, it has either 25 or 30fps, which is not very specific.

Also 2 modes plus on, are listed. I think the fly 6 does that at the very least, with 3 levels of brightness in addition.

Like I say, very interpret hear how these pan out. The specs don't reveal much.

Last edited:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I wonder if they are also going for seatpost mounting. I'll read the blurb.

Edit- having read that, it has either 25 or 30fps, which is not very specific.

Also 2 modes plus on, are listed. I think the fly 6 does that at the very least, with 3 levels of brightness in addition.

Like I say, very interpret hear how these pan out. The specs don't reveal much.

If you scroll right to the last pic on the website it shows it on a seat post mounting - which suggests it won't fit on my bike as I don't think I'd have enough seat post showing to fit that and the existing saddle bag at the same time.

001.JPG

gaijintendo

Veteran
If you scroll right to the last pic on the website it shows it on a seat post mounting - which suggests it won't fit on my bike as I don't think I'd have enough seat post showing to fit that and the existing saddle bag at the same time.

View attachment 375412
I would never have thought of scrolling!
The lens looks better than I perhaps gave it credit for; there is some kind of ring around the lens and the light extruded but.

Jason

it's quite a big unit if the proportions are anything like the fly6. I use it on the hybrid without a saddle bag (tools/spares in a tool bottle). If your bike has a small amount of seatpost protruding, then a second light will be difficult

Top Bottom