aldi - what did you get?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have a customer who works for one of the largest fruit & veg importers in the country and she was telling me who gets the best quality produce. In order:

Waitrose
Sainsburys & M&S
Co-Op
Asda
Morrisons
Tesco, and not surprisingly
Lidl & Aldi at the bottom.

As always, you get what you pay for :smile:.
It is a sad day indeed when we have to rely on outside rankings to decide whether or not a product is good. I also find it suspicious that the ranking here seems to correlate with perceived cost at said supermarkets.

Hmmmmm; a lot can happen to fruit and veg between the supplier and the shelf though.
I think my local Morrisons play football with the bananas before putting them on display; they are ALWAYS bruised when they ripen. Tesco on the other hand I have never had the same problem.
I once spoke to a Tayside strawberry/raspberry supplier and asked him why it was that despite him supplying both Tesco and Aldi, Tesco strawberries are tasteless excuses for strawberries while Aldi are more like those sold at the roadside in Tayside - sweet and much more flavour. His explanation was that Tesco freeze them sometime between their arrival and departure from their RDC, while Aldi get them straight out to their shops without having to store them frozen.
You cannot freeze a strawberry and magically revive it without it turning into pulp. I don't believe that story.

U

User32269

Came home from work and emptied my van after visit to Smithdown Rd ALDI in Liverpool:
*long sleeve tops
*bib tights
*waterproof jacket
*gillet
*helmet light
Nothing wrong with ALDI clobber!

Last edited by a moderator:

Sim2003

Personally, I don't thinks this is true. Mainly because Asda food tastes awful, as does the Co-Op's to my untrained tongue.

I'd hazard a guess that any difference is mainly a placebo for justification of the however many £'s extra you spent in a more expensive supermarket.

I'll happily spend £20-30 a week less and eat Aldi/Lidl's food. As with any type of food, as long as it's cooked properly, it will taste absolutely fine.

The fruit all comes from the same boxes the only difference is they get sorted and picked on the appearance and shape, So the fruit the likes of M&S and Waitrose have always looks better however it will taste the same because its from the same batch. I use to work for Malet Azoulay in Pinchbeck that distributed to all the big chains.

Fruit is important for cycling so its ok to discuss this :smile:

screenman

Legendary Member
I have a customer who works for one of the largest fruit & veg importers in the country and she was telling me who gets the best quality produce. In order:

Waitrose
Sainsburys & M&S
Co-Op
Asda
Morrisons
Tesco, and not surprisingly
Lidl & Aldi at the bottom.

As always, you get what you pay for :smile:.

Your customer is talking out of their turnip as far as I am concerned.

I congratulated the checkout bloke on the Halloween Zombie display and he stared at me blankly.

The do as you likeys had stripped my local one bare within 3 hrs. I did get some bibs and an (impressively bright) LED light, and some GT86

Very impressed with the re-chargeable LED rear lights so got a couple of those. Tried out the drink tablets this afternoon and they are good too. Bought some cans of chain-cleaner as I am fanatical about a clean, shiny chain. The clothes look too warm for cycling in.

huwsparky

Über Member
The premium rear light is 100% a moon comet which is £25. Bargain if it lasts, mine went faulty after 6 months but I've decided to try another at this price. The light (when working) is a very good light and we'll worth the money.

Got a merinio base but it's a bit loose so hopefully they have some left in the right size to change it.

Top Bottom