All about wheels and tyres

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
Starts from £300

I just came to say the prices start below £300. It all depends what you want to spend at the bottom end.

Now I'm off too, I get the feeling this thread might get unpleasant to read.

Last edited:

martint235

Dog on a bike
I just came to say the prices start below £300. It all depends what you want to spend at the bottom end.

Now I'm off too, I get the feeling this thread might get unpleasant reading.
I was about to say the same. I've got hand built wheels at a lot less than £300 (unless that's for the pair) which are 105 hubs, Mavic Open Pro rims and are certainly good enough for me.

As you say though, this thread is probably going to go downhill.

adscrim

Veteran
I got some wheels from Rose bikes for £150 - open pro on 105 hubs (36 spoke) - and they went down hill....and up hill and along the flat. All done very well, and perfect for the roads at the moment.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
I got some wheels from Rose bikes for £150 - open pro on 105 hubs (36 spoke) - and they went down hill....and up hill and along the flat. All done very well, and perfect for the roads at the moment.

The prices that Rose build their wheels for is below what wheelbuilders can buy the components for, so sometimes it works out a bargain but other times the wheels have been poorly put together hence they have issues. I'm not 100% sure but I think @Justinslow was planning to get some handbuilts wheels from Rose a while back.

vickster

Legendary Member
I was about to say the same. I've got hand built wheels at a lot less than £300 (unless that's for the pair) which are 105 hubs, Mavic Open Pro rims and are certainly good enough for me.

As you say though, this thread is probably going to go downhill.
Not dissimilar with Novatec hubs and lots if DY Swiss spokes. Closer to £200

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
I feel that some more information is required by @Arrowfoot to prevent the thread "going downhill", ending up in a slanging match and being Closed. :sad:
As a cycling community most of us tend to focus on frames and the drivetrain components. So much so that bike brands have more or less moved to provide similar specs for the various price bands. The wheels and tyres however are pretty much stock and entry level grades except for the top range.
  • this might be true for the lower end/ value-for-money bikes but one would not expect it to be true for a more expensive machine (> £1200 ?), as the wheel-set upgrade is often one of the main selling points
  • perhaps a better definition of the "various price bands" would be helpful ?
  • examples of what you consider to be "stock and entry- level grades" of wheels and tyres would be helpful too

MOD HAT ON:
Please can everyone respond to the points being made in the thread and not respond to what-they-think-they-know-about-the-OP. This could be a very useful thread for newer, less experienced members, so everyone do your best not to let it wander. :okay:

Last edited:

Citius

• this might be true for the lower end/ value-for-money bikes but one would not expect it to be true for a more expensive machine (> £1200 ?), as the wheel-set upgrade is often one of the main selling points
  • examples of what you consider to be "stock and entry- level grades" of wheels and tyres would be helpful too

Answers to all of those will be entirely subjective, unfortunately. Which is why simply sticking to facts would make more sense. Not going to happen though, so you might as well lock the thread now.

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
The prices that Rose build their wheels for is below what wheelbuilders can buy the components for, so sometimes it works out a bargain but other times the wheels have been poorly put together hence they have issues. I'm not 100% sure but I think @Justinslow was planning to get some handbuilts wheels from Rose a while back.
Not me mate!
I've got the "superstar components" elite ultra 30's for summer, Shimano R501's for winter and a second hand set of 101/82 Planet X carbons for TT's.......
Must be someone else as I'm very happy with what I've got!

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
I feel that some more information is required by @Arrowfoot to prevent the thread "going downhill", ending up in a slanging match and being Closed. :sad:

MOD NOTE:
Please can everyone respond to the points being made in the thread and not respond to what-they-think-they-know-about-the-OP. This could be a very useful thread for newer, less experienced members, so everyone do your best not to let it wander. :okay:
I've seen the very same R501's that I have on bikes costing way north of £1000. The stock Giant wheels (pr2) that came with my Giant TT bike and are fitted to many Giant road bikes don't have a very good rep (although I dont have a problem with them for training).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom