All things (face) shaving

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KneesUp

Guru
It's a pain in the face, shaving. I don't have the genes to grow an actual beard - the best I can hope for is, after several weeks, my face might look like I hadn't shaved for a weekend, so I'm fortunate in that I can go a week without having to bother. John Major famously had to shave several times a day - apparently so he didn't look too grey - Christ alone knows how grey he'd look if he just shaved in the morning; he had a face the colour of school slacks as it was.

Anyway, although I don't have to shave as much as the last Tory leader I merely disliked, I still don't enjoy it. I've tried various options over the years - I've used an old 'safety razor' because the blades were cheap, I've used Gillette varieties with 2,3,4 and 5 blades, I've used a Wilkinson Sword one whose name escapes me but was "so sharp it had to be kept behind bars", I've used the odd Bic disposable, I've used a Philips rotary head shaver, a foil shaver and, currently I mostly use a Babyliss thing with interchangeable heads - predominantly with the uncovered clipper things set to the closest setting for around my mouth and the next longer setting for everywhere else, then shaving the odd bit above the beard line on my cheeks with an Aldi multi blade thing.

However, last time I got my hair cut the chap used a cut-throat razor handle that took half an old rectangular blade, and that seemed quite good (in his expert hands) so I thought I might get one of them for the bits on my cheeks I blade shave. I might even buy some shaving oil, although currently I'm thinking I could just use water, or olive oil, or chain oil ...

Anyway, I've no real point. I was just musing over how much of a faff it all is even for me, who shaves twice a week at most, and how much I've spent on shaving gubbins over the years. The Babyliss thing could do with replacing as well now because the blades are blunt and you barely get one shave out of the batteries.

What is your preferred solution - blades? If so, how many? Electric? If so what type? Just leaving it all to grow Father Christmas? Oil, foam, gel, water, nothing? Any recommendations? What works for you?

(I predict someone will recommend a proper cut throat razor and hot towels on the first page!)

Once every five days or so with a Bic double bladed razor.
If I leave it longer, I use a Philips beard trimmer, then hack the rest off with said razor.

When in India, I visit the barber twice a week for a very close and clean cut-throat shave, with a head, shoulder and face massage all for £3.

Serge

Über Member
Proper cut-throat razor and hot towels for me.
Now reality:

I run my clippers over my face fuzz once a fortnight whether I need it or not.

Sometimes I'll cut in a Van Dyke and let that grow out for a few months.

I've also let the whole beard grow out to about six inches on a few occasions.

Basically, I don't shave.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Not a cut throat, but DE safety razor, shavimg soap and brush. So much better than Gillette etc and so much more economical

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Over the years I bought various dual blade super quatro whotsit razors moaning about the price each time, but a couple of yeas ago bought a heavy chrome plated brass safety razor (Edwin Jagger) for twenty quid odd, with cheap as chips packets of razor blades. Cut myself far less and it just works. I do have a proper shaving brush but as often as not just smear soap or shower gel and get on with it.

I'll never got back to the over priced novelty tripple bladed nonsense.

I do shave nearly every day but nor am I a hairy ape.

Nonethewiser

I use a Gillette Mach 3 triple bladed affair and cheap "Lacura" shave gel from Aldi applied with a shaving brush that I bought from Boots about 25 years ago. I started shaving regularly aged around 15 and the novelty quickly wore off. I should shave almost daily for a clean look (a beard doesn't look good on me) but now I'm retired I go through the ritual about twice a week. I find the Mach 3 blades last around a month before becoming too uncomfortable. Electric razors (I tried a Philips rotary and a Braun foil) didn't seem to really do the trick and I ended up shaving with a blade in between electric sessions. Shaving? it's a pain in the face!

Dave7

Legendary Member
Leci for me. Phillips rotary.
Used to use/try various double/tripple safety blades but as I, fortunately, dont have a heavy beard I can get by on the leci type.......every other day now I am retired.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
A daily buzz round with a cordless Remington foil shaver. I replace the foils about every 18 months for £18 or so.

If I let my whiskers grow I get a shrill noise in my ear and fewer kisses. Plus when I did let it grow, the little bits around the corner of my mouth got annoying.

Every now & then I enjoy the luxury of a wet shave with usually an Aldi disposable 3-blade jobby.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Every two or three days for me (blond so no 5 five o'clock shadow to speak of).

I use Gillette Mach 3 blades because they seem to keep their edge for ages... bought from Superdrug who always seem to have a 3 for 2 offer on the 8 packs, so 24 blades for about £28 which'll last me a good 18 months to 2 years. As a lube I just use cheap, bog standard soap.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
I've tried them all, from cutthroats through safety razors to 5 bladed behemoths and electric shavers.

Most pleasurable - safety razor. The "sizzle" as it slices through stubble is very satisfying. Also the heavy weight in the hand and the cold, smooth steel is very nice. However, within 12 hours the stubble is back.
Most convenient - electric shaver. A quick once over and I'm presentable for the working day.
Best compromise - Mach 3. A close shave that gets me two working days. Not as quick as a shaver but far closer.

Best of the lot though is hot towels and cutthroat at the Turkish barbers.

Globalti

Legendary Member
If the OP has very sparse beard hairs, why not just yank them out with one of those depilator things they are advertising on TV at the moment?

Top Bottom