Allen Carr's little strava addiction book.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EnPassant

Remember Remember some date in November Member
Wiki: Addiction, a brain disease characterized by compulsive engagement in rewarding stimuli despite adverse consequences.

(this page intentionally blank)

Strava addiction is the new tobacco, you quit smoking with my little book. Now beat Strava with my new book. It's short.

1 You don't need to chase times, it's ridiculous, you weren't born this way, you can return to this happy state with minimal effort
2. There is no benefit to it. None. You can live your life to it's fullest without it
3. You are not Chris Froome, nor will you ever be, does he chase segment times? No
4. You don't need to chase times (repetition is key)
5. It's dangerous risk taking behaviour, you RLJ, you undertake, you dice with traffic un-necessarily
6. There is no material benefit, none
7. You don't need to chase times

(This page intentionally blank)

Follow this simple plan to use the same basic instincts that drove you to the addiction in the first place to free yourself of it (personal improvement, sense of achievement, competitiveness).

1. Buy a Cat 'O Nine tails from your local S & M shop
2. Turn on Strava and go for one of your normal rides then come home
3. Strip to the waist (ladies you may use any traditional method to maintain decorum here)
4. Give yourself a thorough self flagellation according to the following table

i) Setting a personal 3rd best: 1 whack
ii) Setting a personal 2nd best: 2 whacks
iii) Setting a personal record: 4 whacks
iv) Getting a top 10 overall: 10 whacks
v) KOM / QOM: call the emergency services, continue self flagellation until they arrive and take you away.

Repeat each time you go out on your bike with Strava turned on.

Within a few weeks you will be completely cured, don't think of it as giving up, think of it as leaving strava behind.

NB, Yes, it wasn't the most enthralling TDF stage today.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
3. You are not Chris Froome, nor will you ever be, does he chase segment times? No
Pretty sure he does. Just Tour stages rather than Strava segments.

I agree with the rest of the criticism of it, plus I'd also add that I feel Strava, Inc should be held liable when there's a collision involving one of their racers as having contributed to the nuisance.

h1udd

sounds like it's written by someone that either just had his Kom taken, or someone that's realised he won't ever get a kom

Ah well, could always try Pokemon go ... It's for people without quads :biggrin:

OP
OP
EnPassant

EnPassant

Pretty sure he does. Just Tour stages rather than Strava segments.

I agree with the rest of the criticism of it, plus I'd also add that I feel Strava, Inc should be held liable when there's a collision involving one of their racers as having contributed to the nuisance.
Heh, not on the .000002 of a mile ones around here he doesn't.
And, whilst I wasn't serious, I suspect there's more than one injury out there due to segment chasing. However they don't sue car makers every time somebody misuses one of their products so can't see sticking that one on Strava.

sounds like it's written by someone that either just had his Kom taken, or someone that's realised he won't ever get a kom

Ah well, could always try Pokemon go ... It's for people without quads :biggrin:
Of those? B. ;), although I have got a 3rd on one local one.....hmm, the weathers nice, little wind, lets see if I can go and claim it.....

Honestly don't know how to play that pokemon thing. Must be my age.

vickster

Legendary Member
Heh, not on the .000002 of a mile ones around here he doesn't.
And, whilst I wasn't serious, I suspect there's more than one injury out there due to segment chasing. However they don't sue car makers every time somebody misuses one of their products so can't see sticking that one on Strava.

Of those? B. ;), although I have got a 3rd on one local one.....hmm, the weathers nice, little wind, lets see if I can go and claim it.....

Honestly don't know how to play that pokemon thing. Must be my age.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/06/news/family-sues-strava-over-descending-death_224889

Although the lawsuit was unsuccessful

http://road.cc/content/news/84948-j...ava-relating-death-rider-trying-recapture-kom

OP
OP
EnPassant

EnPassant

Interesting.

Whilst the OP was clearly only meant to be mildly amusing and not a serious critique of the app or its users (including me) I was unaware there had already been litigation over Strava use.

FWIW I can see both sides of that argument, it does seem to promote dangerous behaviour in some circumstances but on the other hand there are plenty of dangerous products in this world if the owners of them choose not to use them sensibly.

Top Bottom