Almost squashed by old muppet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Simba

Specialized Allez 24 Rider
I was in Morrisons carpark doing around 10 mph as the guy in front was all the way over to the right. It looked like he was about to turn right into a space when all of a sudden he almost went straight into me. Lucky for me my spidey sense was tingling and I knew it was going to happen before the motorist did. I screamed at him to look in is Fing mirrors.

Also before entering the carpark I was almost left hooked and splattered by a stupid 4x4 woman driver.

No film?:smile:

dondare

Über Member
Fluffy said:
I was in Morrisons carpark doing around 10 mph as the guy in front was all the way over to the right. It looked like he was about to turn right into a space when all of a sudden he almost went straight into me. Lucky for me my spidey sense was tingling and I knew it was going to happen before the motorist did. I screamed at him to look in is Fing mirrors.

Sorry, can't visualize this.

Crankarm

Guru
The clue is in the name of the place you were cycling in CAR PARK. What do you expect? A driver is not going to expect to encounter bicycles. Why were you cycling in it, innit?

OP
OP
Simba

Simba

Specialized Allez 24 Rider
To answer the questions, I was going to Morrisons to the kiosk bit with my bike as they let me take it in that bit. I was hanging back until this guy decided what he was going to do but it doesnt take away the fact he didnt look in his mirrors.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Crankarm said:
The clue is in the name of the place you were cycling in CAR PARK. What do you expect? A driver is not going to expect to encounter bicycles. Why were you cycling in it, innit?

CAR PARKS are often also BICYCLE PARKS, at least a small section of them. GEDDIT?

irw

Quadricyclist
Crankarm said:

This one is on a national cycle route. Not all car parks are all they seem!

Crankarm said:

Tell you what then...

In order to be a better cyclist and not appear where the drivers don't expect me to be, tomorrow when I call in to Tesco on my way to work I will not follow the road into the car park and to the cycle parks. There's a handy pedestrian bit with a dropped kerb that leads along the front of the shop before reaching the bike stands. I'll barrel along that because little old ladies are alert and on the lookout for bicycles on the path...

dondare

Über Member
Crankarm said:

A valid point. Cyclists might have perfectly good reasons for riding in a car park, but they'll come as a surprise to everyone else.
So be on full muppet alert.

dondare

Über Member
Sheffield_Tiger said:
Tell you what then...

In order to be a better cyclist and not appear where the drivers don't expect me to be, tomorrow when I call in to Tesco on my way to work I will not follow the road into the car park and to the cycle parks. There's a handy pedestrian bit with a dropped kerb that leads along the front of the shop before reaching the bike stands. I'll barrel along that because little old ladies are alert and on the lookout for bicycles on the path...
What do other cyclists do here?

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Fluffy said:
He was going forwards, on the right hand side of the main lane type thing and I was just behind him. Then he just turned in on me.

Hard to visualise, but it sounds like he was lining up for a space on the right (placed himself there to claim the space) and turned left to position himself ready to reverse back into the space.

Are you telling me you don’t do exactly the same thing in a car park.

Its a car park, not a road, you need to be aware that CARS are trying to PARK and will need to manoeuvre into a position to do this. Best not to try and over/undertake them as they do.

Top Bottom