Alpe D'Huez/ Croix de Fer/ Col du Glandon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hopefully I am going to be in the Alpe D'Huez area in May. As well as cycling the iconic climb, I was going to use the village to cycle to Croix de Fer and Col du Glandon, probably on separate days lol

However, when I looked on Google Maps it said it would take 3:30hrs to get to Col du Glandon (28km) and if I wanted to start in the village and do Croix de Fer via Sarenne, it would take 4:45 to do the 36km just to get there.

I'm not quite sure how Google works this out but that does seem a bit excessive. I do know the climbs are a bit bumpy lol

Anyone got any real experience of cycling these routes and their times?

Thanks

vickster

Legendary Member
Hopefully I am going to be in the Alpe D'Huez area in May. As well as cycling the iconic climb, I was going to use the village to cycle to Croix de Fer and Col du Glandon, probably on separate days lol

However, when I looked on Google Maps it said it would take 3:30hrs to get to Col du Glandon (28km) and if I wanted to start in the village and do Croix de Fer via Sarenne, it would take 4:45 to do the 36km just to get there.

I'm not quite sure how Google works this out but that does seem a bit excessive. I do know the climbs are a bit bumpy lol

Thanks
Have a look at Strava. Probably discount the Tour riders from your benchmarks :laugh:

vickster

Legendary Member
Well yes. These mountains are a massive challenge. 99% ifcyckists wouldn’t even consider let alone attempt

Crankarm

Guru

Thanks

I think you have missed your May target. Perhaps you should give yourself a few puffs on an inhaler.

PapaZita

Guru
I'm not familiar with those particular routes, but I agree, those times do seem a little slow. Google's estimated times for routes in the UK are similarly slow, and I suspect they are based on a more casual rider rather than us sporty types.

Having said that, you shouldn't underestimate the mountains. Most climbs in that area aren't particularly steep, maybe 6-8% is typical, but they go on, and on, and on. In the UK you can power over an 8% hill safe in the knowledge that there's a nice rest coming soon as you freewheel down the other side. In the Alps you might be climbing the same mountain for an hour or two, so you have to settle into a pace that you can sustain for a long time. Also allow time for rests, refreshments, and just stopping to enjoy the views.

Perhaps on your first day you could plan around Google's estimates, and see how it goes. Then, you'll be in a position to apply a correction factor for subsequent rides.

OP
OP
Sunny Portrush
I'm not familiar with those particular routes, but I agree, those times do seem a little slow. Google's estimated times for routes in the UK are similarly slow, and I suspect they are based on a more casual rider rather than us sporty types.

Having said that, you shouldn't underestimate the mountains. Most climbs in that area aren't particularly steep, maybe 6-8% is typical, but they go on, and on, and on. In the UK you can power over an 8% hill safe in the knowledge that there's a nice rest coming soon as you freewheel down the other side. In the Alps you might be climbing the same mountain for an hour or two, so you have to settle into a pace that you can sustain for a long time. Also allow time for rests, refreshments, and just stopping to enjoy the views.

Perhaps on your first day you could plan around Google's estimates, and see how it goes. Then, you'll be in a position to apply a correction factor for subsequent rides.

The nearest I`ve come to cycling an "alpine" style climb is the Bealach Na Ba up in the Highlands - a six mile climb that goes on and on and on except it doesnt have the luxury of hair-pins (bar four at the very top!) to flatten out the climb a little. The fastest I ever did it was 45 minutes but I actually had a tailwind!

Slow and steady for these I think!

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me

Thanks
Done the croix de fir and the glandon from the town of bourge d'osians last summer before the tdf arrived and alpe de'huez was just a few km's up the road..........from bourge it was a 10km ride to the foot of the croix de fur and a total climb of 36kms to the top of the glandon, took me 2hrs to climb just to the village half way up the croix de fir and wasn't fit enough to keep going onto the glandon.........

We also did the col d'ornon on the day of the 3rd lions test, so was a good chilled out day. We also took the car for the 36km drive to do the telegraphe and galibier.........I did the telegraphe, while my fellow Alpers carried on up the galibier........was a very good 5 day trip.

Alp de'huez I had a full tyre blow out on turn 4 so didn't get to complete the time while we was there

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
Done the croix de fir and the glandon from the town of bourge d'osians last summer before the tdf arrived and alpe de'huez was just a few km's up the road..........from bourge it was a 10km ride to the foot of the croix de fur and a total climb of 36kms to the top of the glandon, took me 2hrs to climb just to the village half way up the croix de fir and wasn't fit enough to keep going onto the glandon.........

We also did the col d'ornon on the day of the 3rd lions test, so was a good chilled out day.

We have just got back and done pretty much the same , up the Croix de Fir we got to the cafe less than half way up and that was enough (the heat was my undoing) , as you did we went up through Allemond past the power station, i found it harder than the Alpe D Huez climb & Col de Sarenne , out of all the ones we did the Col d Ornon was my fav , the ride back down was even better.

Sunny Portrush, these are huge climbs and to do any of them takes some doing so dont get to bogged down in the planning just go do them one at a time.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
@jowwy and @DiddlyDodds - thanks for that

I`ll give the Croix de Fer a bash via Allemond and see how I get on!

Col d`Ornon could be an alternative

Any advice on accommodation - does Le Bourg D`Oisans have more to offer than Alpe D`Huez?
Theres quite a few climbs around bourge that are accesible without needing to drive.......as for accomodation we booked a 3 storey town house behind cafe de paris

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
If you can Le Bourg D'Osisans is the place in summer , i was surprised how empty Huez was , its obviously just a winter resort, we stayed at Fresh Tracks Chalet at Oz en Oisans which is just above Allemond which was superb but one hell of a climb back up at the end of the day.

Top Bottom