Already looking a road bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Trigger369

Über Member
First main post on the forum .
I got back on a bike 6 weeks ago after about 15 years . Got myself a hybrid and have put in about 500km and a few hours on a cycle trainer as well . Really enjoying it so far and already thinking of a drop bar road bike .
Ive a question for you folks that have changed over What sort of differences will I expect to notice conning from a hybrid ,speed effort, riding style differences ? Having never been on a road bike don't know what to expect . Cheers

vickster

Legendary Member
What hybrid, if a lightish rigid forked one, maybe not as much as you might think. If a heavy bike with suspension and knobbly tyres, potentially a lot (is that it in your avatar, a sprung front Carrera)
Also depends on the road bike, just go test ride some in your budget. You'll likely find the ride harsher due to no suspension and skinny tyres

OP
OP
Trigger369

Trigger369

Über Member
What hybrid, if a lightish rigid forked one, maybe not as much as you might think. If a heavy bike with suspension and knobbly tyres, potentially a lot (is that it in your avatar, a sprung front Carrera)
Also depends on the road bike, just go test ride some in your budget. You'll likely find the ride harsher due to no suspension and skinny tyres
That's the one in the avatars vickster.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
First main post on the forum .
I got back on a bike 6 weeks ago after about 15 years . Got myself a hybrid and have put in about 500km and a few hours on a cycle trainer as well . Really enjoying it so far and already thinking of a drop bar road bike .
Ive a question for you folks that have changed over What sort of differences will I expect to notice conning from a hybrid ,speed effort, riding style differences ? Having never been on a road bike don't know what to expect . Cheers

The big difference you'll find is riding position. Generally hybrids encourage a fairly upright position whereas most (but not all) "drop handlebar" bikes encourage a more forward-leaning postion

When I changed I found that my shoulder muscles were sore for the first few rides but quickly got used to it

Road bikes are generally a bit lighter and use tyres that have a bit less rolling resistance so are naturally a slightly faster ride. But it's the position that you'll notice

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
The big difference you'll find is riding position. Generally hybrids encourage a fairly upright position whereas most (but not all) "drop handlebar" bikes encourage a more forward-leaning postion

When I changed I found that my shoulder muscles were sore for the first few rides but quickly got used to it

Road bikes are generally a bit lighter and use tyres that have a bit less rolling resistance so are naturally a slightly faster ride. But it's the position that you'll notice
I have my rigid carrera converted to drops and slicks , rolls ok ( ok not as fast as a road bike ) , its the weight that you notice on hills more than anything .

OP
OP
Trigger369

Trigger369

Über Member
Great read that cyberknight cheers . My cousin had a felt road bike dont know the model of it tho he hasn't used in about 3 years must ask him what he's doing with it .

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Good idea, if he's about the same size as you.

vickster

Legendary Member
Evans will let you take bikes out with photo ID and a penny on a bank card. Might be worth seeing what they have for your budget if there's a store closeby

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
The main difference for me - having spent many years happily on hybrids - is that the forward leaning position somehow encourages a more attacking, pushing style of riding, in the same way a jockey rides in a different way to someone pottering about on a horse. That and the (TBH) marginal performance boost you get from skinnier wheels and a lighter frame makes you feel more at one with the machine, as if you are both operating at the very peak of your performance.

The bike is curiously levelling due to wind resistance, with a bit of effort and training you can crack along at near-professional pace without too much difficulty.

That said, the riding position of a hybrid is undoubtedly more comfortable and - like horses - for pottering around I would definitely go with a hybrid, you see much more of the world. A well set up hybrid will not be much slower than a road bike with similar effort. As others have said try a road bike and see if you like it although it does take a few hours to truly get used to the different position - I hated it initially.

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
Practice rides, as advised above, are definitely worthwhile, and a note of caution I would emphasise after my own experience is that you need to be very careful with the brakes if you change. A couple of times early on with my road bike, I went for the brake levers, instinctively assuming they would be where they are on the hybrid - and of course they weren't. I quickly realised and corrected myself, but it could have got really tricky if I had had to stop suddenly.

vickster

Legendary Member
Practice rides, as advised above, are definitely worthwhile, and a note of caution I would emphasise after my own experience is that you need to be very careful with the brakes if you change. A couple of times early on with my road bike, I went for the brake levers, instinctively assuming they would be where they are on the hybrid - and of course they weren't. I quickly realised and corrected myself, but it could have got really tricky if I had had to stop suddenly.
Cross lever brakes ftw

Cycleops

Legendary Member
But to be fair for you quickly get used to a different set up.

Top Bottom