Alternative registration

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gwylan

Veteran
What if all bikes sold in the UK had to be chipped. Like dogs and cats.
Purchaser uses the identity card they haven't got to register their ownership of that bike.
But better still would be a QR sticker on the bike. You can buy these at the Post office ( if you can find one)
As the label is sold the details are recorded in the database.
Stick it on your bike. Job done
Just see the bigger picture!
The registered owner will have an app on their phone recording the serial number and their details.
The police, who have nothing else to do, can stop you and scan your bike. The registered keeper pops up on the system.
You do not identify as the keeper, the bike is confiscated. And the rider receives a fixed penalty charge.

On production of suitable I d. the bike can be recovered. For a fee of course and a fixed penalty for letting someone use your bike.
Bikes without a label are confiscated automatically, labelled and be available for recovery. A fee will of course be involved.

A subtle side benefit is that some scroat on a nicked bike is bang to rights.
Either they have removed the label or they cannot identify as the registered keeper.

Old bikes have to be labelled when they are sold or given to a new owner. Or when they are subject to a stop by the police.

QR scanner are on phones these days. So when a bike is traded you go online with the seller and transfer the ownership. But you need the original owner, the label, their phone and your phone.
Label is damaged, go to the post office with your details on the phone and buy a new one

Easy,

Yes it's Saturday afternoon and I'm bored.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
There are already cycle-marking schemes, while I'd rather not have the polis poking their noses in when I'm out on a ride, ta... as if there was ever going to be the time / manpower / impetus for them to do so in the first place.

If chipping stuff with GPS transponders there are potentially also massive civil liberties questions to be answered.

Broader picture; work on society to reduce wealth inequality, improve quality of life for all and provide decent treatment for addicts and the mentally ill to stop them robbing stuff in the first place. Also, adopt a Sharia law approach to those who continue to steal..

Last edited:

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Sounds like a plan. But you forgot MOT's. Lets also add that cyclists not riding in cycle lanes, cycling without helmets and not wearing hi-viz are executed by firing squad right there on the spot. Their bodies then transferred while draped in a cloth covered with the Daily Mail emblems all over it to a mass burial with the other cycling menaces.

What if all bikes sold in the UK had to be chipped. Like dogs and cats.
Purchaser uses the identity card they haven't got to register their ownership of that bike.
But better still would be a QR sticker on the bike. You can buy these at the Post office ( if you can find one)
As the label is sold the details are recorded in the database.
Stick it on your bike. Job done
Just see the bigger picture!
The registered owner will have an app on their phone recording the serial number and their details.
The police, who have nothing else to do, can stop you and scan your bike. The registered keeper pops up on the system.
You do not identify as the keeper, the bike is confiscated. And the rider receives a fixed penalty charge.

On production of suitable I d. the bike can be recovered. For a fee of course and a fixed penalty for letting someone use your bike.
Bikes without a label are confiscated automatically, labelled and be available for recovery. A fee will of course be involved.

A subtle side benefit is that some scroat on a nicked bike is bang to rights.
Either they have removed the label or they cannot identify as the registered keeper.

Old bikes have to be labelled when they are sold or given to a new owner. Or when they are subject to a stop by the police.

QR scanner are on phones these days. So when a bike is traded you go online with the seller and transfer the ownership. But you need the original owner, the label, their phone and your phone.
Label is damaged, go to the post office with your details on the phone and buy a new one

Easy,

Yes it's Saturday afternoon and I'm bored.

How about those who do not have a smartphone? Will they be forbidden from owning a bike?

Who'd want to pinch a full grown adult?

You never know.

tom73

Guru
And how do you propose to pay for all this equipment and the maintenence of the database, etc?
Perhaps a yearly tax on each registered bike?

You'd need a tax to pay for the admin of the yearly tax to pay for the whole idea in the first place.
Just think of the joy of setting up and using a new government IT system. The public sector would be queuing round the block for the chance. Oh what fun....

Top Bottom