1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aluminium mudguards

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by roshi chris, 14 Nov 2007.

1. roshi chris

roshi chris New Member

...are there any on the market?

I hate plastic and although i would like to put guards on this winter I can't bring myself to soil my lovely hardy commuter with wobbly plastic crap.

Its a Kaffenback with cantilevers fitted so has loads of clearance.

Thanks in advance..

2. skwerl

skwerl New Member

Have a search for Salmon guards. A pain to fit apparently but very good and good for bikes without much clearance

3. SKS guards are a laminate, with aluminium in the middle encased in plastic.

4. andrew_s

andrew_s Veteran

5. NickM

NickM Veteran

Plastic is a good material for mudguards. I had some Salmon mudguards once. They were a pain in the arse.

6. NickM

NickM Veteran

Plastic is a good material for mudguards. I had some Salmon mudguards once. They were a pain in the arse.

7. skwerl

skwerl New Member

yep and I wouldn't describe SKS guards as "wobbly plastic crap". They're very good. Much better option than Salmons

8. skwerl

skwerl New Member

yep and I wouldn't describe SKS guards as "wobbly plastic crap". They're very good. Much better option than Salmons

9. OP
    OP
    roshi chris

roshi chris New Member

Well I had some SKS Raceblades on a different bike and couldn't get used to them at all, a strong gust of wind and they were all over the place.

I take it the SKS full guards are better then?

Mind you I do like those Honjos..

10. OP
    OP
    roshi chris

roshi chris New Member

Well I had some SKS Raceblades on a different bike and couldn't get used to them at all, a strong gust of wind and they were all over the place.

I take it the SKS full guards are better then?

Mind you I do like those Honjos..

11. NickM

NickM Veteran

They're excellent. Our household has them on lots of bikes. They last for years, look smart for a good few, and have never given any problems.

Raceblades are mudguards for bikes that aren't supposed to have mudguards. You can't really expect them to be much good.

12. NickM

NickM Veteran

They're excellent. Our household has them on lots of bikes. They last for years, look smart for a good few, and have never given any problems.

Raceblades are mudguards for bikes that aren't supposed to have mudguards. You can't really expect them to be much good.

13. domtyler

domtyler Über Member

(SKS-Raceblades) != (SKS-Thermoplastic)

14. domtyler

domtyler Über Member

(SKS-Raceblades) != (SKS-Thermoplastic)

15. alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye nothing in moderation Staff Member

my sks guards were a bugger to fit and still require the front tyre to run at 80psi to avoid rubbing. still, they do the job and you know who hasn't visited the front tyre yet.