1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Always buy a Bell helmet!

Discussion in 'Bikes and Buying Advice - What Bike?' started by trustysteed, 8 Aug 2007.

1. trustysteed

trustysteed Guest

I fell off my bike doing some off-road riding last year and damaged my Bell Sweep R helmet. I hadnt replaced it yet as they cost 70-80 quid but a friend of mine found this site:

http://www.ultimatepursuits.co.uk/bell/

where they will replace your Bell helmet for much cheaper than buying a new one!

2. Steve Austin

Steve Austin The Marmalade Kid

Giro do that too ;)

3. Peyote

Peyote New Member

Think Specialized do too, wouldn't be surprised if Met and the other big manufacturers all do. I thought it was standard procedure these days.

4. Met do.
    http://www.met-helmets.com/home.jsp?idrub=2122

Partly I guess it allows them to get samples from 'real' accidents back for analysis, but I bet more is that it gets you back into one of their helmets rather than a competitor's : even at super-duper reduced price, they won't be selling below cost I'd suspect.

5. Steve Austin

Steve Austin The Marmalade Kid

Maybe the title of this thread should be changed to:
    Always buy a Helmet with a crash replacement warranty. ;)

6. alfablue

alfablue New Member

I got my Met replaced at half price, but my next helmet will be a Specialized because they are Snell rated (unlike most other brands sold in the uk).

7. Keith Oates

Keith Oates Janner

Is there really any difference between the top brands that makes one better then the other!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

8. alfablue

alfablue New Member

The issues are price, fit, comfort, appearance/style, aerodynamics (for some fast types!), replacement policy, and safety.

On the last criteria, safety, there appears to be real and significant benefits from choosing a helmet that is Snell rated. This means (amongst several differences over the usual European EN1708 standard) that there is ongoing random testing of helmets taken from shop shelves (rather than a single sample submitted by the makers), and impact testing to roughly twice the force of an EN rated one. There are many other differences in the testing.

For me, the purpose of the helmet is safety, so that criteria would take priority for me and I will be buying a Spesh next as it is the only make that is regularly available in the UK which is Snell rated.

You can read all about Snell, their testing, and find approved helmet lists here.

9. giant man

giant man New Member

yeah just a damn shame the Spesh Decibel is one UGLY lid!