Am I over reacting. Please tell me I’m wrong.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Yeah, you do,. Well, unconscious actually.

Still, I hope @nickr is OK

View attachment 356384

Don't just take my word for it but nickr was out riding his bike last Wednesday when he was attacked and eaten by a polar bear. I do want to also point out that this is an isolated event so there is no need to worry, or for the authorities to take any action.

zer07

In the light of what seems like almost daily reports about the danger of inhaling diesel exhaust. I have from today stopped commuting to work by bicycle.

I’ve been commuting by bike for 5 years between Kingston and Chiswick and have loved it. Its been additive, like a drug. I've tried to ignore the dangers, but cannot do so any longer. I've tried many different routes but have found it impossible to avoid what I consider to be a dangerous level of exposure to the fumes.

Its seems to me that to have continued would been as idiotic as climate change denial.

I recall seeing a Top Gear episode where they tested the amount of fume levels people inhaled in London either in a car, as a pedestrian, on public transport or cycling (I know it had car and cycles). Cycling came out lower than car driving interestingly which I believe they accredited it to being sat behind lorries and busses with the AC on sucking in the fumes. Not sure if that episode is still on iPlayer but it had interesting results none the less.

OP
OP
N

nickr

Über Member
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-31612253
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-31612253
You have to put these figures in the context of the millions of cycle journeys taken in the London area every year. Statistically, cycling is very safe for adult cyclists, even on busy roads.

It seems to me you are looking for excuses to justify not cycling, exaggerating the risks and ignoring the benefits, not least of which is a substantial financial benefit.

You have to be joking. I "have to put these figures into context" Cyclist only make up a fraction of the total commutors coming into London each day and how many of these travelling by train are killed each year or have life changing accidents?

My only "excuse" for stopping cycling was that I'm scared of death. The cost of rail travel is easy to take when you consider the potential for serious injury or lung desease.

lung desease.
Exercise protects you from a range of disease, including lung disease, so yes, you have to understand the risks before you change your behaviour based on them..

COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) is the most common pulmonary disease and is the only common cause of death in which mortality is presently rising. It is caused by the inhalation of smoke, which leads to oxidative stress and inflammation both in the lungs and systemically. Reduced physical activity is a well-recognized consequence of the condition, but we argue here that inactivity is itself an early cause of lung function decline and symptoms. This hypothesis is supported by data from population studies that link activity levels to decline in spirometric indices, both in smokers and non-smokers. In addition, smokers with low physical activity levels are more likely to be diagnosed subsequently with COPD. Physical exercise reduces oxidative stress, has an anti-inflammatory effect and reduces the frequency of upper respiratory tract infections, providing a number of mechanisms by which it could attenuate the harmful effects of smoking. There is sufficient evidence to justify population trials of lifestyle interventions aimed at improving physical activity levels and reducing lung function decline in people diagnosed with early COPD through spirometry screening.

And if you rethink your route and cross Kingston Bridge, you will probably find it a nicer ride, and if you like you can spend a lot of your journey on car free, and low traffic sections .....

boydj

Legendary Member
You have to be joking. I "have to put these figures into context" Cyclist only make up a fraction of the total commutors coming into London each day and how many of these travelling by train are killed each year or have life changing accidents?

My only "excuse" for stopping cycling was that I'm scared of death. The cost of rail travel is easy to take when you consider the potential for serious injury or lung desease.

We're all going to die at some point. Given the pollution levels in and around London I doubt that stopping cycling will reduce your exposure by much. Your fitness will undoubtedly suffer from the reduced exercise levels and this could impact adversely on your longevity.

Personally I always enjoyed my commute into the centre of Glasgow - it wasn't always incident free, but much preferable to public transport. I wonder why, after 5 years, you have lost your cycling mojo when the risks are no worse than they were two or three years ago.

classic33

Leg End Member

My only "excuse" for stopping cycling was that I'm scared of death.
The cost of rail travel is easy to take when you consider the potential for serious injury or lung desease.
Very few will say they're not scared of death. But take into account that you'll have cut the amount of exercise done by yourself and the effect of doing so.

There's workarounds for nearly everything these days. We can cut the risks, but can't exclude them. Crossing the road, on a crossing earlier this week, I'd a driving instructor tell his pupil to go through the red light, just missing me.

We can hide, but it'll find us. Keep pushing those pedals.

Drago

Legendary Member
The OP is still wrong.

BPCycler

A handkerchief could help reduce it a little but.

In the light of what seems like almost daily reports about the danger of inhaling diesel exhaust. I have from today stopped commuting to work by bicycle.

I’ve been commuting by bike for 5 years between Kingston and Chiswick and have loved it. Its been additive, like a drug. I've tried to ignore the dangers, but cannot do so any longer. I've tried many different routes but have found it impossible to avoid what I consider to be a dangerous level of exposure to the fumes.

Its seems to me that to have continued would been as idiotic as climate change denial.

Top Bottom