Am I the forum champion at giving sh!t up?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KEEF

Veteran
I gave up on Sunday and ate that bar of chocolate I have lusted after for two years:becool:does that put me at the bottom of the list of givers up:laugh:

PaulB

Legendary Member
mickle said:
Am I winning? I'm winning aren't I?

No.

OP
OP
mickle

mickle

innit
mark barker said:
Wow, kudos for that one! Did you not get really bad headaches when you stopped? (or do I normally drink way too much coffee?) I tried reducing the coffee intake but failed miserably!:sad:

No head aches, I've been cutting down for some time....

.... several triple espresso per day to zero in just eight years.

yello

I gave up cycling on Sunday afternoon. Mentally, the bikes were on ebay, cleats hung up, everything. Funny how it's all change Monday morning.

But I am interested in how you get on with the no-carb diet mickle. Well, I expect no carb is practically impossible, so that'd be low carb. I know it's a way to loose weight quickly (not that that's an issue for me) but it's the other aspects I'm interested in, particularly long term.

mickle said:
There follows a list of things I have eschewed:

1982: Red meat and fowl
2009: Smoking, recreational drugs, alcohol
2010: Dairy, wheat, non-organic produce

And now I'm on a diet which forbids carbohydrates (I've lost 9lbs in three weeks!).

Interesting diet.

Assuming it is not for some allergy or special dietary reason:

Are you replacing carbohydrates with something else? If so what?

If you are just doing without and going hungry then why not just eat a third less of everything?

darkstar

I've not really got anything to give up tbh. Beer would be the notable one but thats just outrageous. Don't drink coffee, don't smoke, don't eat white carbs etc..

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
darkstar said:
I've not really got anything to give up tbh. Beer would be the notable one but thats just outrageous. Don't drink coffee, don't smoke, don't eat white carbs etc..

Big fat girl. :smile:

mickle said:
There follows a list of things I have eschewed:

1982: Red meat and fowl
2009: Smoking, recreational drugs, alcohol
2010: Dairy, wheat, non-organic produce

And now I'm on a diet which forbids carbohydrates (I've lost 9lbs in three weeks!).

Don't do smoking or drugs so cant give them up.
Alcohol - probably only have about two pints of beer and half a bottle of wine a week at most so not too bad (and red wine is good for you!)
Red meat - probably once a week at most; good food for iron.
Fowl - Why? Only a moral thing ; not a health issue.
Dairy - I think we need some so I only have half a pint of skimmed per day plus a little cheese. got lots of good things in it.
Wheat - no reason to give up unless you are intolerant of it.
Non Organic - good if you can.

Carbohydrates - why are they in the rogues gallery? Not bad for you at all. Should be able to eat as much as you want and not get fat on carbs.

Why not cut out fat, sugar and salt? They are all definately bad for you.

OP
OP
mickle

mickle

innit
The biggest change to our diets has been the removal of processed foodstuffs after reading 'Not on the label' by Felicity Lawrence. The removal of simple sugars, pasta, spuds, rice and wheat was prompted by 'The Diet Solution' that Her Indoors found on internet. The theory is that avoiding these foods (replacing them with foods with low GI) reduces the peaks and troughs of fluctuating blood sugar levels and this removes the cravings for stodgy foods. We both feel much more in control of our appetites, particularly knowing when we are full.

I gave up dairy because I discovered I had developed an allergic reaction to it. I couldn't work out why I was coming out with a rash so often. It was She who suggested I cut out dairy and lo and behold, no more rash.

yello

mickle said:
The theory is that avoiding these foods (replacing them with foods with low GI) reduces the peaks and troughs of fluctuating blood sugar levels and this removes the cravings for stodgy foods.

And it's something said by many a nutritionist.

Fast sugars (and carb generally to an extent) spike the blood sugar levels, cause the production of insulin and insulin, in turn, triggers the storage of the sugars as fat. (Fat doesn't make you fat btw)

Think of it as triggering an emergency response in your system. Sending it into overdrive; a boom/bust cycle. Excess sugar in the system is dangerous and can lead to a number of problems, the body wants rid of it. The pancreas produces insulin as fast as it can to regulate the blood sugars. Weight gain is only part of it. The pancreas can clap out - diabetes. Google it. You'll find this statement...

Carbohydrates - why are they in the rogues gallery? Not bad for you at all. Should be able to eat as much as you want and not get fat on carbs.

...is worthy of questioning. Imo, you definitely shouldn't be eating as much card as you want.

Top Bottom