am i too old to start racing/ trying to be a pro

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
J

jamma

Über Member
Oooh right,I had the 3.5K figure in my head.
That was the Giant wasn't it ?
Still a hefty tag though.
There is a wealth of road bikes in the £700-800 bracket,that would suit you.
And all are nicely specced too,with durable components.
It's your call though,and getting a Cervelo first off is the envy of many a bloke.
Just a thought old bean
Yes the Giant cost 3.5k but when i was saw the cervelo for that price though

winjim

Smash the cistern
Pictures please :okay:
Well it basically looks like every other titanium road bike but with Campagnolo Chorus and badass Mike Giant bar tape :becool:. Search my username in the Show us your titanium thread. Need to take some better pictures of it actually now I come to think of it...

Attachments

• 20151231_100628.jpg
    20151231_100628.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 89

bikeman66

I can see you're a dedicated rider .
Have to say, I totally agree with the point Cuchilo is making here!

Jamma.......... You are asking people's opinions on two very basic issues regarding racing, and then putting up barriers when they try to suggest potential ways forward. We have established that your average speeds are coming up short, but you can improve that situation by training. However, your apparent mental approach will hold you back. Basically.......if you want something bad enough, just find a way to make it happen. Success doesn't fall in your lap, it is gained through sheer bloody hard work. Instead of getting hung up on what you think can't be done, identify what is possible and crack on with doing it!

The juniors that I coach at my rowing club never have negative situations presented to them. I never tell them what they have done wrong during a session, but I'll always tell them what we can do better. Even if an outing has been predominantly poor, there is always at least one silver lining......and that will be highlighted to them in the very last sentence I leave them with during our de-brief! We all respond to positivity.......so start putting your head in order, and make things happen.......if that is what you have set your sights on!

OP
OP
J

jamma

Über Member
Have to say, I totally agree with the point Cuchilo is making here!

Jamma.......... You are asking people's opinions on two very basic issues regarding racing, and then putting up barriers when they try to suggest potential ways forward. We have established that your average speeds are coming up short, but you can improve that situation by training. However, your apparent mental approach will hold you back. Basically.......if you want something bad enough, just find a way to make it happen. Success doesn't fall in your lap, it is gained through sheer bloody hard work. Instead of getting hung up on what you think can't be done, identify what is possible and crack on with doing it!

The juniors that I coach at my rowing club never have negative situations presented to them. I never tell them what they have done wrong during a session, but I'll always tell them what we can do better. Even if an outing has been predominantly poor, there is always at least one silver lining......and that will be highlighted to them in the very last sentence I leave them with during our de-brief! We all respond to positivity.......so start putting your head in order, and make things happen.......if that is what you have set your sights on!

Thanks and i understand what your saying and i think i need a coach who can see what i am doing right and what i can improve on whilst out riding and racing.

LewisLondon

Thanks and i understand what your saying and i think i need a coach who can see what i am doing right and what i can improve on whilst out riding and racing.

Mate as you may have seen from my questions in this thread i'm not advanced at all. I would seriously question why you need a coach though. Everyone has told you the same thing, what you're doing wrong is not being fit enough. The fix is to get a 6/8/10/12 week plan, and follow that. See where it takes you!

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
I'll be your coach. Here's today's lesson;

(1) have a bowl of slow-release carbs, perhaps porridge and a banana, and have a good drink of water.
(2) put comfortable cycling attire on, with respect to the weather conditions.
(3) retrieve bike, check tyres are inflated to desired pressure and that brakes and fears are working.
(4) place hands on bars, swing over leg, sit on saddle.
(5) place one foot on the nearest pedal, push off with other foot.
(6) place other foot on other pedal and push down, then repeat with the other side. This should turn the front ring and make the back wheel turn, if the chain is engaged.
(7) if road bends to left, apply appropriate pulling pressure to left hand side of handlebars. If road bends to right, apply appropriate pulling pressure to right hand side of handlebars.
(8) repeat for as many miles as you can comfortably manage.
(9) have a shower and a drink and a nibble at the end.
(10) repeat another day, preferably the next one.

Sorry to be facetious. You don't need a coach. You need to ride more.

I'll be your coach. Here's today's lesson;

(1) have a bowl of slow-release carbs, perhaps porridge and a banana, and have a good drink of water.
(2) put comfortable cycling attire on, with respect to the weather conditions.
(3) retrieve bike, check tyres are inflated to desired pressure and that brakes and fears are working.
(4) place hands on bars, swing over leg, sit on saddle.
(5) place one foot on the nearest pedal, push off with other foot.
(6) place other foot on other pedal and push down, then repeat with the other side. This should turn the front ring and make the back wheel turn, if the chain is engaged.
(7) if road bends to left, apply appropriate pulling pressure to left hand side of handlebars. If road bends to right, apply appropriate pulling pressure to right hand side of handlebars.
(8) repeat for as many miles as you can comfortably manage.
(9) have a shower and a drink and a nibble at the end.
(10) repeat another day, preferably the next one.

Sorry to be facetious. You don't need a coach. You need to ride more.

:laugh:
You're a rascal

At 22 you'll improve quickly, something half these crusty old farts have long forgotten under the weight of pies diverting blood from their muscles to their belly. You may not be a pro Jamma but it's good to dream and 22 is too young to stop dreaming, realization has it's own timescales, so in the meantime get the best bike you can and do the most riding you can, time enough to become a cynical old fart like us but not yet.

Top Bottom