am i too old to start racing/ trying to be a pro

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
At 22 you'll improve quickly, something half these crusty old farts have long forgotten under the weight of pies diverting blood from their muscles to their belly. You may not be a pro Jamma but it's good to dream and 22 is too young to stop dreaming, realization has it's own timescales, so in the meantime get the best bike you can and do the most riding you can, time enough to become a cynical old fart like us but not yet.
I don't think this crusty old fart is trying to shatter his dreams, but this crusty old fart remembers how little he had in the way of disposable income at the age of 22, and thinks that getting more miles in on the existing bike would be better than spending money on marginals gains.

If he insists on buying the nice flash bike, then go for it. But a coach?

(BTW may Vernon forgive me, but at the risk of looking like a traitor to my birthright, I don't eat pies ^_^)

ayceejay

Guru
If he had a coach there would be no trouble getting to events and he could take his fans along too.

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
[QUOTE 4228435, member: 76"]Well, there have been some shocking revelations on this thread, but this, this is too much. Being too slow to race and too clueless to know you are spending too much on a bike is one thing........not eating pies though :eek:[/QUOTE]
I know, I know... Trust me, when I lived on Merseyside, there was nothing I loved more than grabbing something from Sayers, or a nice pie dinner from Mike and Acie's in Woolton, or either of The Famous Blue Stars, or even branching out into Sintellens for a meat and potato from Pimbletts... But now, esconced in the land of pie and mash? Can't abide the things.

I am deeply sorry, and all I can do is to prostrate myself over my top tube and handlebars, and in the manner of St. Sebastian, allow the pie-oriented arrows of disapproval from all and sundry to pierce my milky-white, slim (yet strangely not "ripped"**) torso.

May God, and the inventor of shortcrust pastry, forgive my transgression into the vistas of rocket salad drizzled with extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

(** it could be ripped, if only I had a dietary coach to tell me, for £500 a go, that the hole at the top is bigger than the one round the back)

I am deeply sorry, and all I can do is to prostrate myself over my top tube and handlebars, and in the manner of St. Sebastian, allow the pie-oriented arrows of disapproval from all and sundry to pierce my milky-white, slim (yet strangely not "ripped"**) torso.
My ringtone is a song called Lucky Like St Sebastian.^_^

Sorry.

Carry on

(** it could be ripped, if only I had a dietary coach to tell me, for £500 a go, that the hole at the top is bigger than the one round the back)

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
If he insists on buying the nice flash bike, then go for it. But a coach?

A coach would arguably be a much better investment than a new bike if he really does have racing aspirations.

The only problem he might have is that a coach can't do the work for you, only tell you what you need to do. And not turning up to races is the surest way to guarantee you won't win them.

If I were the OP, I would spend the money on the flash new bike and just enjoy riding it at my own speed.

OP
OP
J

jamma

Über Member
A coach would arguably be a much better investment than a new bike if he really does have racing aspirations.

The only problem he might have is that a coach can't do the work for you, only tell you what you need to do. And not turning up to races is the surest way to guarantee you won't win them.

If I were the OP, I would spend the money on the flash new bike and just enjoy riding it at my own speed.

Thanks for your advice and will take it onboard

Velominati

Simple really, What have you got to lose? There's not a single person on here that can turn your dreams into reality, only you can do that. The worst that can happen is that your tried and failed, the best that can happen is that you achieve your dream, either way you will be able to live your life and know that you gave it your best, don't leave it, just go for it, you may surprise yourself. Good Luck.

Top Bottom