An idea to reduce Red Light Jumping

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Blurb

Über Member
Hadn't seen this idea floated before, so here goes:

I was stopped at a pelican on red this eve and a cyclist went past me straight through the red. There were peds around but not close to him. In a vain attempt to display my disapproval I feebly rang my bell. I don't think he heard, or cared if he did, or realised it was directed at him. But, it got me thinking, one bell can easily be ignored, but some urban junctions have quite a few stopped bikes and if it was an accepted action to all ring bells when an RLJ takes place I'm sure it would slowly reduce these incidents. This action may be ignored, but I suspect it still has a psychological effect on all but the most hardened RLJ'er if a chorus of bells sound out AND there is a well publicised and sustained campaign, much like the consistent anti-drink drive campaigns, promoting this action, I think it could influence attitudes, behaviour, and improve cyclist's image.

The only thing I initially thought may work against this is that it may distract if the bell was needed to attract attention to some other situation.

Any thoughts, or should I just go back to muttering under my breath and shaking my head!

I just shout out very loudly "Red lights apply to you as well". As they know they're in the wrong, they tend to flick the finger or tell me to go forth and multiply.

on the road

Über Member
Hadn't seen this idea floated before, so here goes:

I was stopped at a pelican on red this eve and a cyclist went past me straight through the red. There were peds around but not close to him. In a vain attempt to display my disapproval I feebly rang my bell. I don't think he heard, or cared if he did, or realised it was directed at him. But, it got me thinking, one bell can easily be ignored, but some urban junctions have quite a few stopped bikes and if it was an accepted action to all ring bells when an RLJ takes place I'm sure it would slowly reduce these incidents. This action may be ignored, but I suspect it still has a psychological effect on all but the most hardened RLJ'er if a chorus of bells sound out AND there is a well publicised and sustained campaign, much like the consistent anti-drink drive campaigns, promoting this action, I think it could influence attitudes, behaviour, and improve cyclist's image.

The only thing I initially thought may work against this is that it may distract if the bell was needed to attract attention to some other situation.

Any thoughts, or should I just go back to muttering under my breath and shaking my head!
Probably won't work because chances are you'll be the only one who has a bell.

OP
OP
B

Blurb

Über Member
I just shout out very loudly "Red lights apply to you as well". As they know they're in the wrong, they tend to flick the finger or tell me to go forth and multiply.

That's fair enough, but I suspect most people, including myself, wouldn't be confident enough to shout out. I think a chorus of bells is more accessible to more people and is harder to rebuff/shrug off if done by a group of riders.

The ongoing marketing of this action, you jump a light everyone metaphorically chastises you with their bells, would be key to it's success.

OP
OP
B

Blurb

Über Member
Bell?
On my bike(s)?
Get outta here!

A shout of red light you tosser is suffice for me.
Cool, I'll provide the accompaniment, you the vocals !

OP
OP
B

Blurb

Über Member
[QUOTE 2468762, member: 30090"]Interesting idea but not many people carry a bell on their bike.

Could we not set up a FB page or something? We could all start a trend of saying 'red light' really quickly or something else but it has to be unique and hope the message goes viral.[/quote]

That's the sort of thing I mean with getting the message out there. FB/Twitter/CTC/BC and all forms of media to get a standard retort out there. Bell and/or "RED!"

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
How about clapping your hands every time someone runs a red? Eventually the penny will drop and they'll realise your taking the p#ss out of them :rolleyes:.

Top Bottom