An idea to reduce Red Light Jumping

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
B

Blurb

Über Member
A large fine might work well.

Probably would, but just like any other road enforcement it needs to be policed vigorously to have an effect, and I suspect it's not a high enough priority to reach a critical mass. You still see people on phones all the time, driving poorly, uninsured, drunk, and these are all policed, yet it continues.

OP
OP
B

Blurb

Über Member
How about clapping your hands every time someone runs a red? Eventually the penny will drop and they'll realise your taking the p#ss out of them :rolleyes:.

Interesting option. We would need to keep the responses to a minimum. I think Bell and a shout of "Red!" or maybe the clapping. Too many choices will dilute the effect.

stu9000

I agree with vamP. I've heard all the arguments and even agree with some. But there should be room for individual choice and personal responsibility somewhere. Some of u are the nanny state on two wheels, which is pretty strange for a minority group that espouses freedom and all that jazz.

Catch. Pass. Drop. If you are on an urban stretch with multiple traffic lights, Repeat.

A good idea, but some of them are quicker than greased weasel sh1t. I've tried this and been ground down and then dropped at a subsequent red.

I'm a part-reformed RLJ merchant myself and when I still had legs with spring in them, nothing and nobody would have shamed me into stopping.

This is the issue.

The same went (I'm embarrassed to admit) for pavements along Oxford Street or other urban roads where the traffic got a bit thick and claggy.

I'm much more sensible now, but my initial response when I'm passed by hordes of redlight hoppers in London is one of regret at my lost speed and courage rather than disapproval.

The smell of rich two-stroke exhaust has a similar effect.

Peter Armstrong

Über Member
Question.....

When I was on a charity ride I was drafting behind two fellow riders from my local club, both stronger riders and they were pulling me along and keeping me company.
We get to some lights and they go red, I started to brake and they went straight through, I also went through the red light because I didnt wanna be dropped and ride the rest of the 30 miles alone, WOULD YOU DO THE SAME?

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Just point, arm outstretched, and call out "Boooooo!"

I did that and the reaction from the peds and drivers around was great, a couple even joined in. The RLJer looked round and very sheepishly sloped off in embarrassment. It should be adopted as a national strategy of shaming the buggers (all RLJers, not just cyclists).

GC

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Question.....

When I was on a charity ride I was drafting behind two fellow riders from my local club, both stronger riders and they were pulling me along and keeping me company.
We get to some lights and they go red, I started to brake and they went straight through, I also went through the red light because I didnt wanna be dropped and ride the rest of the 30 miles alone, WOULD YOU DO THE SAME?

Nope.

GC

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Question.....

Depending on how exactly it went down, I may have have stuck to the back of the group, but would have also brought up the fact that running red lights whilst their prerogative in their own time, doing it in your club kit will bring the club into disrepute and that if they want to be a knob, to not wear club kit while doing it. Admittedly this is a bit hypocritical, but lets face it the damage has been done as soon as 1 of them goes through and if you are left behind, you can't tell them not to do it in future can you. Call it taking one for the team if you will!

OP
OP
B

Blurb

Über Member
I get the distinct feeling that whilst many cyclists want to make some sort of statement about RLJ'ing, there seems to be a sizable group who aren't bothered.

@VamP I don't want to be any sort of police, but I also don't want to tacitly accept this behaviour and the impression it gives of all cyclists. In London, RLJ'ing by cyclists is almost at a ridiculous level in my experience.

@stu9000 individual choice and personal responsibility is all well and good, but where do we draw the line? which rules can be ignored and which should be strictly adehered to? who decides, individual basis? Some people can justify almost any act to themselves.

Top Bottom