An idea to reduce Red Light Jumping

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

VamP

Banned
My method exactly. On Tuesday's commute someone clearly didn't get the message, even after he went through 5 reds in a row past me.

To be fair, would you really expect someone riding along, minding their own (law breaking) business, to be looking for a message from the fact you overtook them?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The best deterent to light jumping would be a large hammer poised above the curb just in front of the white line to descend on the unlucky miscreant when the lights go red.

avalon

Guru
[QUOTE 2469998, member: 30090"]Fair enough.

The point I was making though was that even if this was the case you cannot compare someone who should be riding a bike with a bell with someone who RLJ's.:smile:

On another note how did the law ever get passed in Oz for people to now wear helmets? Is this ever enforced?[/quote]
The helmet law has been in place for over 20 years now and is enforced not only on roads but also cycle tracks.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
To be fair, would you really expect someone riding along, minding their own (law breaking) business, to be looking for a message from the fact you overtook them?

True ... but I'd counted them off to him as I went past; "that was a red", "that's 2 reds", etc ... "that's the 5th red" :evil:

His responses seemed to include some 4-letter words I'd not heard before :tongue:

mattobrien

Guru
For shop sold bikes.
Rules are different for internet sold and supplied.

The rules about additional kit only apply to two-wheeled pedal bikes for adults, when they are sold new and in the course of a business. (Consumer Protection Act 1987,
Assembled bikes
The additional rules apply when a normal adult bicycle is supplied new.
When one of these bikes is supplied assembled, the rules are as follows:
  • The bike has to be fitted with a bell of a category intended for use on bicycles. (PBSR r.4(3))
  • If the bike has hand-operated brakes (see my earlier post for braking requirements), it has to be set up so that the right brake operates on the front wheel, and the left brake operates on the rear wheel. (PBSR r. 4(4))
  • The bike has to have reflective material or a wide-angle reflector (in any colour) in the front wheel, so that light is capable of being reflected to both sides of the bicycle(PBSR r. 4(5), (8), (9))
  • Similarly the bike has to have reflective material or a wide-angle reflector (in any colour) in the rear wheel, again so that light is capable of being reflected to both sides of the bicycle, unless this is impossible due to the design or equipment of the bicycle – in which case the reflector may be fitted to the frame. (PBSR r. 4(6), (7))
  • The bike has to be fitted with a white front reflector or a white (or yellow) front lamp, a red rear reflector and amber pedal reflectors (two on each pedal). (PBSR r. 4(10), (11), (12))

Fortunately my LBS removed all the excess weight prior to me collecting the latest bike, or most likely never fitted it.

As for bells, do they come in carbon? And if so, do they make an aero carbon bell?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Fortunately my LBS removed all the excess weight prior to me collecting the latest bike, or most likely never fitted it.

As for bells, do they come in carbon? And if so, do they make an aero carbon bell?

Not in Carbon.. but aero nevertheless
13473-31930-main--198.jpg

Kookas

Über Member
Here in the land of rules, licences and permits you must have a bell and reflectors as well as wear a helmet.

How precise is that law? I'd be tempted to just stick them in a saddlebag, since they're technically then attached to the bike.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Not in Carbon.. but aero nevertheless

Are you sure that isn't a sex toy you have screwed to the handlebars?

[/quote]

Chris Norton

I hate the standard bell. Takes me so long to ruddy get to work the thing that the problem is already sorted with a swift "OI".

Today I would have been reveresed over by a car and the small ding of the bell would never have made it through the 200 watt stereo pumping out some serious drum and bass. Waving and shouting luckily did.

Crankarm

Guru
Hadn't seen this idea floated before, so here goes:

I was stopped at a pelican on red this eve and a cyclist went past me straight through the red. There were peds around but not close to him. In a vain attempt to display my disapproval I feebly rang my bell. I don't think he heard, or cared if he did, or realised it was directed at him. But, it got me thinking, one bell can easily be ignored, but some urban junctions have quite a few stopped bikes and if it was an accepted action to all ring bells when an RLJ takes place I'm sure it would slowly reduce these incidents. This action may be ignored, but I suspect it still has a psychological effect on all but the most hardened RLJ'er if a chorus of bells sound out AND there is a well publicised and sustained campaign, much like the consistent anti-drink drive campaigns, promoting this action, I think it could influence attitudes, behaviour, and improve cyclist's image.

The only thing I initially thought may work against this is that it may distract if the bell was needed to attract attention to some other situation.

Any thoughts, or should I just go back to muttering under my breath and shaking my head!

No. It's a crap idea.

avalon

Guru
How precise is that law? I'd be tempted to just stick them in a saddlebag, since they're technically then attached to the bike.
I've never heard of anyone being fined for not having a bell or reflectors but that's probably because the Policeman would have to get out of his car and check, whereas not wearing a helmet is obvious and well worth chasing and catching a cyclist for.

Top Bottom