An idea to reduce Red Light Jumping

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

VamP

Banned
I get the distinct feeling that whilst many cyclists want to make some sort of statement about RLJ'ing, there seems to be a sizable group who aren't bothered.

@VamP I don't want to be any sort of police, but I also don't want to tacitly accept this behaviour and the impression it gives of all cyclists. In London, RLJ'ing by cyclists is almost at a ridiculous level in my experience.

@stu9000 individual choice and personal responsibility is all well and good, but where do we draw the line? which rules can be ignored and which should be strictly adehered to? who decides, individual basis? Some people can justify almost any act to themselves.

And who made you responsible for other people's actions, or indeed empowered you to control their behaviour?

I don't believe that other cyclist's behaviour has any legitimate influence upon other people's perception of me. If, however, somebody is blinkered enough to believe that another cyclist action makes me guilty by association, then I recognise that belief to be a bigoted misconception, and don't go running after the RLJer to point the finger.

Don't accept collective responsibility for individual actions. Simple.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
I've got a bell :smile:

avalon

Guru
[QUOTE 2469905, member: 30090"]Couple of things.

Don't know how you can equate RLJ with not having a bell.

[/quote]
I don't, I was just asking the question.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Here in the land of rules, licences and permits you must have a bell and reflectors as well as wear a helmet.

They have to be added to the bike at point of sale iirc, but no not legal to go without.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Sorry.

I got so bored of waiting & waiting for a set of lights to change in Bristol city centre the other day that I RLJ'd. I think they are only triggered by buses, not by cyclists despite the bus lane being available to both. All the regular cyclists just went through these particular lights although they stopped at others.

I waited until there were no pedestrians or pavement cyclists approaching, though.

I do agree that RLJ'ing generally is a menace & anti-social.

I think the "tosser" shout is the best way to a fat lip, though.

Enid Agnus Dei

Educate all drivers/ride what a red light means anyone who fails to stop 4 times has their vehicle crushed or the stupid bus driver who also hit me after going through a red charged with driving without due care and licence revoked.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Is that true? Genuine question, because although I have 6 bikes, none of them came with a bell. I am bell-less :cry:

For shop sold bikes.
Rules are different for internet sold and supplied.

The rules about additional kit only apply to two-wheeled pedal bikes for adults, when they are sold new and in the course of a business. (Consumer Protection Act 1987,
Assembled bikes
The additional rules apply when a normal adult bicycle is supplied new.
When one of these bikes is supplied assembled, the rules are as follows:
  • The bike has to be fitted with a bell of a category intended for use on bicycles. (PBSR r.4(3))
  • If the bike has hand-operated brakes (see my earlier post for braking requirements), it has to be set up so that the right brake operates on the front wheel, and the left brake operates on the rear wheel. (PBSR r. 4(4))
  • The bike has to have reflective material or a wide-angle reflector (in any colour) in the front wheel, so that light is capable of being reflected to both sides of the bicycle(PBSR r. 4(5), (8), (9))
  • Similarly the bike has to have reflective material or a wide-angle reflector (in any colour) in the rear wheel, again so that light is capable of being reflected to both sides of the bicycle, unless this is impossible due to the design or equipment of the bicycle – in which case the reflector may be fitted to the frame. (PBSR r. 4(6), (7))
  • The bike has to be fitted with a white front reflector or a white (or yellow) front lamp, a red rear reflector and amber pedal reflectors (two on each pedal). (PBSR r. 4(10), (11), (12))

VamP

Banned
For shop sold bikes.
Rules are different for internet sold and supplied.

The rules about additional kit only apply to two-wheeled pedal bikes for adults, when they are sold new and in the course of a business. (Consumer Protection Act 1987,
Assembled bikes
The additional rules apply when a normal adult bicycle is supplied new.
When one of these bikes is supplied assembled, the rules are as follows:
  • The bike has to be fitted with a bell of a category intended for use on bicycles. (PBSR r.4(3))
  • If the bike has hand-operated brakes (see my earlier post for braking requirements), it has to be set up so that the right brake operates on the front wheel, and the left brake operates on the rear wheel. (PBSR r. 4(4))
  • The bike has to have reflective material or a wide-angle reflector (in any colour) in the front wheel, so that light is capable of being reflected to both sides of the bicycle(PBSR r. 4(5), (8), (9))
  • Similarly the bike has to have reflective material or a wide-angle reflector (in any colour) in the rear wheel, again so that light is capable of being reflected to both sides of the bicycle, unless this is impossible due to the design or equipment of the bicycle – in which case the reflector may be fitted to the frame. (PBSR r. 4(6), (7))
  • The bike has to be fitted with a white front reflector or a white (or yellow) front lamp, a red rear reflector and amber pedal reflectors (two on each pedal). (PBSR r. 4(10), (11), (12))

Fair do's mostly I buy from the Internet, BUT Evans in Woking are in soooo muuuuch troooouuuuubbbllleeee ^_^

Top Bottom