An open letter to all condescending male chauvinist cyclists

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Dear male cyclists,
A wee note to inform you that your attitude is rattling our mudguards.
From you, Hi-Vized to the extreme on a bright day, helmeted on the segregated path, riding on a shared pavement at 20mph, we don't want to hear comments about our cycling.
We don't want you to join us uninvited then commenting on our lack of helmets, we don't want you to tell us not to practice riding no handed on a deserted cycle route, we don't want you to teach us how to use our gears, we don't want you to coach us on how to coast to a stop when our chain comes off, we don't want you to lash out if we get in the way of your Strava segment, we also don't want you to assume we are new to cycling.
In fact, most of us are trained ride leader and year round commuters.
Regards,
The Glasgow Belles on Bikes.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Is it ok to say "nice arse" as we pass ?

I had a young lady stop to offer me assistance when changing a puncture!

Personally I don't see cyclists as anything else. Bike type, gender, serious, roadie, commuter, leisure rider is all fairly irrelevant. If they look to be in trouble I will always ask (even those with single panniers) if I can assist. Usually with "Have you got everything you need" rather than "Do you need help with that puncture"

The only difference I make is that if it is a female rider I stay on the bike and at a distance. I was informed by a female rider that this was less "threatening"

arch684

Veteran
Dear male cyclists,
A wee note to inform you that your attitude is rattling our mudguards.
From you, Hi-Vized to the extreme on a bright day, helmeted on the segregated path, riding on a shared pavement at 20mph, we don't want to hear comments about our cycling.
We don't want you to join us uninvited then commenting on our lack of helmets, we don't want you to tell us not to practice riding no handed on a deserted cycle route, we don't want you to teach us how to use our gears, we don't want you to coach us on how to coast to a stop when our chain comes off, we don't want you to lash out if we get in the way of your Strava segment, we also don't want you to assume we are new to cycling.
In fact, most of us are trained ride leader and year round commuters.
Regards,
The Glasgow Belles on Bikes.
Pat I have had guys trying to tell me how to cycle and I had a saddle bag before they even had a school bag.It's not just woman who get this sort of thing

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
You should have blown them a Glasgow kiss.

OP
OP
Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Pat I have had guys trying to tell me how to cycle and I had a saddle bag before they even had a school bag.It's not just woman who get this sort of thing
It isn't ALL of us! :whistle:

Yes, something strange happens to some men when they see an opportunity to be competitive, aggressive and bossy. It doesn't just get dumped on women though - I have experienced that kind of attitude too and I am a 6' 1" man. They aren't really fussy who they do it to ...
I did not realize this! Feel better now lol.

BrynCP

Über Member
It isn't ALL of us! :whistle:

Yes, something strange happens to some men when they see an opportunity to be competitive, aggressive and bossy. It doesn't just get dumped on women though - I have experienced that kind of attitude too and I am a 6' 1" man. They aren't really fussy who they do it to ...

I have to own up to the competitive bit. I see a cyclist in front, and they become an (hopefully) achievable target for me to catch up too and focus effort on. I mean no offence to them, whether they're older, younger, male or female. Half the time, I don't catch up, half the time, I do, but I'd never dream of insulting them I would just pass them and continue my ride. I would only do this safely, and on a road though: except for the Humber Bridge, I will avoid shared paths if I am likely to be exceeding 15mph, and on the bridge I slow well behind anything else as per the rules which say I give way, not them.

I've also had some other cyclists tell me how I should be doing things, such as using a cycle path instead of the road, or even not to use a cycle path and to use the road!

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I have to own up to the competitive bit. I see a cyclist in front, and they become an (hopefully) achievable target for me to catch up too and focus effort on. I mean no offence to them, whether they're older, younger, male or female. Half the time, I don't catch up, half the time, I do, but I'd never dream of insulting them I would just pass them and continue my ride. I would only do this safely, and on a road though: except for the Humber Bridge, I will avoid shared paths if I am likely to be exceeding 15mph.
I don't mind people just overtaking me. I spotted a younger rider catching up with me on a hill today though I got onto the following steep descent before him and got away for a while. He soon overtook me on the next climb and said 'hi' as he breezed past. No harm in that. It is the ones that seem to want to bludgeon you out of the way (and have a contemptuous sneer on their faces as they pass) that I don't like.

My superfit female friend Carrie came out on my forum ride last week. She is tiny and I have seen men think it clever to try and show her up. What they don't realise is that she is probably fitter than 90% of them. I only get to witness a few minutes of their discomfort trying to stay with her when she accelerates because I can't keep up, but I get to hear about it later! :laugh: (PS I'm not talking about the three men that DID keep up with her last weekend. I'm talking about other riders!)

U

User33236

Unfortunately my current CC have several individuals of the XX chromosome variety who play the damsel in distress to perpetuate the myth that their kin are of similar lack of ability.

Mrs SG had, on occasion, ran 'puncture parties' where she has invited, otherwise, competent cycling friends along to enjoy an evening of wine, nibbles and carrying out puncture repairs using several spare wheels etc from our stock .

I will pass someone of either sex, who appears to be competent, and will enquire if in need of assistance for ANY individual who appears to be struggling. Similarly I will happily ride with my club, or on commute, but offer advice to other riders, male or female, where it is absolutely obvious they are making fundamental mistakes. This will only be done though once gaining some knowledge of their ability amd experience.

I do get where you are coming from and unwarranted comments can be insulting.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I don't know if it helps, but the last time I tried to help a female rider in a display of chivalry, it didn't work out as planned. She had an up-turned bike on the grass of Battersea Park and seemed to be fixing a puncture. I was practicing riding with SPD cleats for the first time. Right on cue, as I said" Do you need a hand?", I failed to unclip . Gravity took over. Much laughter. I couldn't get the bike off my feet as I lay on the ground.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom