And now Skoda are at it.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
So significant age and mileage being mistreated by previous owners/drivers.

albion

Guru
I can see a useful and possibly very big business plan here. A car maker sells a car for 5 grand or so and then you subscribe for a battery.
https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/news/motoring/couple-hit-17k-tesla-bill-8834969.amp

Less aftershocks.

Alex321

Veteran
So significant age and mileage being mistreated by previous owners/drivers.

But I would expect a similar age and mileage of car bought now to last a good many years and miles longer.

I don't see any point in discussing this further though. If some of you want to believe all was rosy with mass market cars from the 70's and 80's, go ahead. For those of us who lived through that time running family cars, our own experience and the reputatyion of cars at the time tells us otherwise.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
And with the Twizy too. They stopped because either was affecting new sales and absolutely murdering used values, which further put people off buying new ones.

Best bit though is if the battery went south they'd often blame you for leaving it on charge for days, or so esuch bollards, and owners were stuck paying every mo th for a broken battery. A fair few ended up in court, which doubtless further hastened the demise of the scheme.

Alex321

Veteran
Basically anyone now in their 80s.

Nope. I am in my 60s, and my wife & I were buying cars throughout the 1980s. I married half way through my final year in university in 1981.

But it doesn't matter what age those people are anyhow. Whatever age they are now, they know that modern cars are far more reliable and long lasting than cars of that era were.

Jameshow

Veteran
Yes, it was a 1990 Family Estate. An 8 seater. It was my firms car, 6 months before I was made redundant, but they let me buy the car and over the following decade, took us to many places in Europe.

Ours was light blue.
Estate of course 8 seats.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Ours was light blue.
Estate of course 8 seats.
Bet it didn't come close to Clark Griswold's Wagon Queen Family Truckster.

IMG_20231017_173353.jpg

Believe it was based on a 1979 Ford station wagon.

Top Bottom