..and that's why clubs scare me

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BearPear

Veteran
So, I'm a fairly novice cyclist, married to a very keen (super-fit) bloke who loves to go out on shorter rides with me. I found a 23 mile circular route near home which I uploaded from a cycle club's website (via MMR). It was billed as a "beginner/returner" route, nothing too challenging.

A few miles in we hit a beastly hill and I had to dismount - and I have NEVER had to do that before. There were 3 killer climbs, one that Mr BP was familiar with that he said was 14%. We live in a hilly part of the country so I am not unfamiliar with hard work. Why would a club promote this route as a beginner choice? Is it designed to humiliate the slowest rider? Do club riders secretly snigger at the poor noobies, and work on other fiendish routes to trap them? Is there such a thing as a club that embraces beginners, especially ladies and improvers? (Please don't say that I'll improve with more riding, I know this! A killer climb does nothing to foster enthusiasm in less capable riders).

OP
OP
BearPear

BearPear

Veteran
I don't want to link & out the club - I'm sure they are decent people really!! It was in the Dales.

They reaction from my husband, an experienced hill-loving rider, was that it was a bit much for a beginner route, so it wasn't just me being a wuss - although I don't deny that there will be a small element of wussiness on my part, hence me choosing a beginner option!

Herzog

Swinglish Mountain Goat
So, I'm a fairly novice cyclist, married to a very keen (super-fit) bloke who loves to go out on shorter rides with me. I found a 23 mile circular route near home which I uploaded from a cycle club's website (via MMR). It was billed as a "beginner/returner" route, nothing too challenging.

A few miles in we hit a beastly hill and I had to dismount - and I have NEVER had to do that before. There were 3 killer climbs, one that Mr BP was familiar with that he said was 14%. We live in a hilly part of the country so I am not unfamiliar with hard work. Why would a club promote this route as a beginner choice? Is it designed to humiliate the slowest rider? Do club riders secretly snigger at the poor noobies, and work on other fiendish routes to trap them? Is there such a thing as a club that embraces beginners, especially ladies and improvers? (Please don't say that I'll improve with more riding, I know this! A killer climb does nothing to foster enthusiasm in less capable riders).

What gearing were you using? No club (that I've ever heard of) goes out to "beast" new members, and surely you would have had an idea of what was coming if you'd already downloaded the route before the ride?

I wouldn't give up though!!

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
They scare me too
33936.jpg

Scary

I think you are quite right. 23 hilly miles is far too much for a beginner or returner.

The problem is that people who can do something (club cyclists) have little conception of what it like NOT to be able to do it. I had the same problem with maths teachers. By definition, they are good at maths. To them it is obvious you just divide by 2xy to get the answer.

Mrs A has been off her bike for 4 weeks after coming off her horse in quite a big way. We are now back up to 10mile circuits in the rehab process. And she is an experienced cyclist.

Hip Priest

Veteran
I think it's a bit unfair to criticise a club without even having ridden with them. If you'd done the beginners route as a club ride, you'd probably have had a ride leader looking out for you and advising you on pacing...etc

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
why..? because she asks the question

''We live in a hilly part of the country so I am not unfamiliar with hard work. Why would a club promote this route as a beginner choice?

you need to get your manners in order
What else would be expected in a hilly area? Someone somewhere within the club will have planned that route and/or distance purposely.

The last time I led our beginners run there were at least 2 climbs well over 14%, even the 20stone guy got up them amazingly quickly

Top Bottom